Advice on first Dangerous Game rifle

Well, we shall see what happens if and when I manage to book a buff hunt ;)

100% agree on that mate. Helps them get a measure of you as well I rhink

Well, we shall see what happens if and when I manage to book a buff hunt ;)

There are some real steals to be had on hippo at the moment. It's the only animal our lass isn't ok with me shooting so it's unlikely I'll take advantage of the deals available!
At least she acknowledges her hypocrisy :)

I have shot pretty much most the aforementioned calibres. Of all the "heavies" I have shot I like the 404 Jeffery the most. My 416 is a nice rifle but I find it recoils more than my 404 Jeffery. My BRNO 375 H&H is also pleasant to shoot. I would have a tough time choosing between the two but I think the 404 would win out. As I have mentioned in other posts I like the idea of a bigger bullet diameter when shooting something that would take great pleasure in turning you into a greasy spot.

Hello folks

I’m pondering my first DG rifle and wondering what to go for and would welcome your thoughts for a novice on the truly big bores.

.375 H&H – Ruled out as have a 9.3x62 and so too close. Also reading seems to suggest a “Stoppers start with a four”

.404 Jeffrey – Really like the sound of this one. Enough power but perhaps not as heavy recoil as the .416 Rigby and also in a standard length action. (Not recoil shy but I think practice is good and shouldn’t be too unpleasant and I’m concerned about the availability of ammo both for practice and if the ammo box gets lost).

.416 Rigby – Seems very popular and seemingly with good reason but quite punchy

.458 WM – Have read some horror stories about ammunition with the .458WM. Are these true or over exaggerated? Is modern ammunition just better? I read the hunting Blackbeards of Botswana and it seems those guys put down lots of beasts with a 458WM

.458 Lott – Sounds good and like the idea of being able to run 458WM but seems to run at higher pressures, ammo seems quite uncommon and also worry about feeding 458WM in it

500J and 505 Gibbs – Seem to be very large, very heavy, very punchy and out of my price range.

Would really appreciate your input.

KR,

Scrummy
Don't rule out the 416 rem mag , you can load it with 400-450grn pills for the bigger stuff...or load it with a 300-350grn spitzer type projectile for the plains game. Rifles and brass are resonable (in australia anyway, should be much cheaper in the states).

Thanks Boldo, rather go for a classic I think and as I'm in the UK 416 Rem really isn't well known

Now there's an idea... I must admit I have considered it as the barrel is a bit pitted (bought it that way). Is a lovely action, double round bridge FN Commercial. Only issue is not drilled and tapped. Does have a Rigby style peep on it though...
Perfect candidate for that .40 cal then. :) To me .416 Rigby seems to kick quite a bit but again it could be that Ruger stock. I myself will be trying 404 Jeffery next or a .416 Rigby in a ZKK 602/CZ 550 to see if it is more pleasant to shoot.

Blasphemy!!!o_O
No Respect
images-3.jpeg

Perfect candidate for that .40 cal then. :) To me .416 Rigby seems to kick quite a bit but again it could be that Ruger stock. I myself will be trying 404 Jeffery next or a .416 Rigby in a ZKK 602/CZ 550 to see if it is more pleasant to shoot.

Milan the CZ550 is pleasant enough to shoot in 416 Rigby when not at the bench. However I put mine in a McMillan synthetic stock and it so much easier to shoot. Mind you I had about an inch added to the length of pull and this helps me.

Milan the CZ550 is pleasant enough to shoot in 416 Rigby when not at the bench. However I put mine in a McMillan synthetic stock and it so much easier to shoot. Mind you I had about an inch added to the length of pull and this helps me.
Fair enough. I have a synthetic stock CZ 550 in .458 Lott and the .416 RSM seems to kick almost as much. .458 Lott RSM was unbearable for me so I traded it for the .416. Now I may get rid of that. Would not mind one of the Heyms in .404 Jeffery. ;)

Milan, several things I know effect felt recoil for a given cartridge: A) Gun weight, B) Powder burn rate and charge, C) Projectile weight, D) Projectile construction ie solid/soft point, E) Stock material, F) Stock shape, G) Stock fit. Of all these the last 2, very strongly related, are by far and away the most important. E) is almost as important.

example. I had a 375H&H in a CZ550, this weighs 2 lb more than my Rem700 SPS 375H&H. Noticeably less felt recoil in the Rem due to the plastic stock. Also I have fired a CZ550, 375H&H with a hogs back stock and it kicked worse than my CZ550 with a straight stock. I have plenty of other examples but this should highlight what I am saying. Oh yes a good recoil pad helps too:D

Milan, several things I know effect felt recoil for a given cartridge: A) Gun weight, B) Powder burn rate and charge, C) Projectile weight, D) Projectile construction ie solid/soft point, E) Stock material, F) Stock shape, G) Stock fit. Of all these the last 2, very strongly related, are by far and away the most important. E) is almost as important.

example. I had a 375H&H in a CZ550, this weighs 2 lb more than my Rem700 SPS 375H&H. Noticeably less felt recoil in the Rem due to the plastic stock. Also I have fired a CZ550, 375H&H with a hogs back stock and it kicked worse than my CZ550 with a straight stock. I have plenty of other examples but this should highlight what I am saying. Oh yes a good recoil pad helps too:D

Hi Rule303,
Exactly. I know this. I was saying the Ruger stocks and the new Sako 85 laminate stock on the Kodiak just did not fit me. Even though they felt good during dry fitting. :D Since the bullet weights, powder charges, etc. were "stock" and since I could compare the same load to a different rifle of same/similar/lighter weight, it pointed the finger at the stock shape and construction (including the recoil pad). So I agree with your statement.

:S Cool:Hi Milan,

I suspected you would know this just was not sure. :S Cool: I don't think you will go wrong with 416 Rigby or 404 Jeff:D

HWL, That is a very nice rifle.

:S Cool:Hi Milan,

I suspected you would know this just was not sure. :S Cool: I don't think you will go wrong with 416 Rigby or 404 Jeff:D

HWL, That is a very nice rifle.
Yeah. I would like to compare the .416 Rigby Ruger RSM MkII I have with a CZ 550 or ZKK 602 in same caliber to see if it is more pleasant to shoot. And .404 Jeff I want to try for sure. I started building one on a butchered VZ24 action but much work is still required. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber