9.3 X 62 or .416 Rem mag for buffalo

because the 9.3 is in my mind more likely to kill the buff suddenly than the 7x57 an eland or zebra.
bruce.

I’d hesitate to hunt eland with the 7x57, but I can tell you from personal experience and a number of one shot kills that it will do the job o. Zebra and wildebeest. I use 175 gr A-Frames at 2300 fps and get pass through quartering shots on both zebra and wildebeest.

I haven't shot a single animal with a 9.3x62, but my load for my 375 H&H is a 300 gr Barnes TSX or Swift A Frame @2450fps. This is in the neighborhood of a 9.3, and kills Buffalo just fine, if you do your part. Also, I shot an Eland with a 270gr TSX @2750 muzzle velocity. The shot was at 256 yards, so I'm sure the velocity had dropped below 2400fps at that distance. The Eland took one bullet through the chest and expired in less than a minute.

I’d hesitate to hunt eland with the 7x57, but I can tell you from personal experience and a number of one shot kills that it will do the job o. Zebra and wildebeest. I use 175 gr A-Frames at 2300 fps and get pass through quartering shots on both zebra and wildebeest.
I agree with you WAB.

hi there

i havent read the whole thread so sorry if i repeat anything
sounds like you not so comfortable with the 416RM.
i am a huge fan of both of these calibres.
if you are the client and want to take only one of those 2 guns along, the 9.3 is perfect for buff, giraffe and all plains game.....as long as you not doing any long range shooting of say 200m plus
in my opinion 9,3X62 is the ideal calibre for bush hunting in africa. i am extremely happy when a client brings along a 9.3

one well placed shot on the buff, and another good follow up should be all you need.

take the one you most comfortable with, you will shoot better and thats way more important then a bigger calibre

regards
Thank you Stuart.

I haven't shot a single animal with a 9.3x62, but my load for my 375 H&H is a 300 gr Barnes TSX or Swift A Frame @2450fps. This is in the neighborhood of a 9.3, and kills Buffalo just fine, if you do your part. Also, I shot an Eland with a 270gr TSX @2750 muzzle velocity. The shot was at 256 yards, so I'm sure the velocity had dropped below 2400fps at that distance. The Eland took one bullet through the chest and expired in less than a minute.
Thank you Toby
I use Peregrine VRG3 of VLR4 in 230gr in my 9,3 and get 2520 fps I have hunted a number of animals successful with these. I also load VRG3 in 286 gr for the 9.3 and I get 2250 fps with it. It seems the 9.3 x 62 can also be versatile like your .375 and your reply certainly enforces what others had said and help me to make a choice between the 2 rifles.
Regards

Your honesty on the recoil management of the two rounds is to be applauded. I have shot 15 head of game in africa with a 9.3 in either x74 double or x62 bolt gun. Using 250gr accubon on smaller plains game and 286-300gr Aframes on everthing else. Shot my eland with a 300gr A-frame at 2350fps, 72 meters through the shoulders he made it 20 meters and was down. I would hunt Cape buff with a 9.3. Make the first shot count through the vitals. I have had the best resuntls with RL17 and Ramshot Big Game in the x62 and Ramshot Hunter in the x74. I am currently testing the 320gr woodleigh's in the x62, will let you know how the loads group and what the velocity is on the best loads once testing is finished.

Your honesty on the recoil management of the two rounds is to be applauded. I have shot 15 head of game in africa with a 9.3 in either x74 double or x62 bolt gun. Using 250gr accubon on smaller plains game and 286-300gr Aframes on everthing else. Shot my eland with a 300gr A-frame at 2350fps, 72 meters through the shoulders he made it 20 meters and was down. I would hunt Cape buff with a 9.3. Make the first shot count through the vitals. I have had the best resuntls with RL17 and Ramshot Big Game in the x62 and Ramshot Hunter in the x74. I am currently testing the 320gr woodleigh's in the x62, will let you know how the loads group and what the velocity is on the best loads once testing is finished.
Thank AZDAVE
Please will you share the test results of the 320gr Woodleigh's in the 62 with me once you have tested it I would appreciate it. Regards

Hi.
I am also waiting the reloading data for: Powder brand, model, weight and FPS with these bullets. I also read on other posts that Alliant 2000-MR and Ramshot Big Game worked best for these.

9,3x62:
Norma Oryx 325gr
Norma Oryx 286gr
Woodleigh 320gr Soft Nose and Solids
Swift A Frame 300gr
Swift A Frame 286gr
Nosler AccuBond 250gr
Nosler Partition 286gr
Premium Solids for 286gr,293gr, 300gr, 320gr

I will buy a CZ 550 9,3x62 23,5" barrel or a Browning Maral 9,3x62 22" barrel and I want to know which of these will feed reliably

CalinRO

I have used Norma Oxry 325gr and 286 gr in my 9.3 X 62 and both rounds feed good and reliable.

As mentioned I reload with Peregrine bullets 230 gr VRG3 and VLR4 and in the 286 VRG3. In my opinion these a premium bullets (I will be the first to acknowledge that my scope of experience with different bullets are limited) and I feel comfaortable using these bullets at 2520 fps (230 gr) and 2250 fps (286 gr).

Peregrine also manufactires a 293 gr VRG2 bullet which is a solid brass bullet and which has the same ballistics as the 286gr VRG3.

As for the 320 gr Woodleigh we should ask @AZDAVE if could test them and what the results are like and if would please share it with us.

Just to clarify I live in South Africa and make use of premium bullets manufactured locaaly as I previously had to wait 14 months to get bullets (Barnes TSX) from the local retailer.

I trust the above can be of assistance.

Regards

Hi.
I am also waiting the reloading data for: Powder brand, model, weight and FPS with these bullets. I also read on other posts that Alliant 2000-MR and Ramshot Big Game worked best for these.

9,3x62:
Norma Oryx 325gr
Norma Oryx 286gr
Woodleigh 320gr Soft Nose and Solids
Swift A Frame 300gr
Swift A Frame 286gr
Nosler AccuBond 250gr
Nosler Partition 286gr
Premium Solids for 286gr,293gr, 300gr, 320gr

I will buy a CZ 550 9,3x62 23,5" barrel or a Browning Maral 9,3x62 22" barrel and I want to know which of these will feed reliably

The only publisher of data on 2000MR for 9.3x62 is Hornady, for their 286 gr Interlock. I'm getting a touch over 2400 fps with 62.0 (62.4 is max, i believe) gr. Unless QuickLoad has been updated recently, it doesn't have that powder listed at all.

Finally got some loads worked up with Ramshot Big Game and Nosler Partition. Western Powders shows a max load of 62.0 gr, I got very good groups at 59.0 gr and about 2350 fps, I think. I'd have to go back and check my notebook for that. There are a number of guys at 24 Hour Campfire (a forum, we can't link to it here) who claim they're using 65 or even 66 gr of it, and getting about 2500 fps.

I tried Big Game with the Accubond 250 gr., velocity was inconsistent (+/- 80-100 fps at a given charge weight of powder), and groups were terrible. Apparently, Big Game gives more consistent results at higher pressure, and the short NAB doesn't take up enough case space to assist in that. I get good groups with Varget and NAB, velocity in the high 2400s. I could push them harder, but just don't see a reason to.

Attached is Western Powders data on 9.3x62. They show a load for a 320 gr bullet. Since Woodleigh is the only one who makes a 320 gr bullet in that caliber... They don't list a load for 325 gr Oryx.

As far as I am aware, Swift and Hornady are the only two who make 300 gr bullets in this caliber.

Attachments

• ramshot_9.3x62-Data.pdf
    160 KB · Views: 132
IMO, by far the 416 Rem would be better caliber for buffalo. And I'm very uncertain about the minimum caliber and/or energy regulations for the different jurisdictions. I would imagine there is some "wink and nod ignoring of the law" that goes on, but that part is up to you, the PH and the Outfitter/Landowner.

In the May/June, 2014 issue of the African Outfitter, there is an excellent article on bullet performance by Chris Bekker. Well worth reading if you can find a copy.

Screen shot of test results of shooting various bullets out of 9.3x62 at close range into fresh elephant carcasses. Bones were intentionally avoided to help ensure consistency of the test, shot to shot. Results agree with what I've seen in my own wet pack tests and field observations with some of the bullet designs shown below.

9.3 bullet test.png

Between the two calibres which you have mentioned , l would personally opt for the 9.3 millimeter mauser in your case , because as you say , you cannot handle the 400 grain bullets in your .416 Remington magnum.
Speaking from personal experience , many of my continental clients used to use a 9.3 millimeter mauser bolt operation rifle to secure Gaurs . A good 286 grain soft nose bullet fired from the side , which pierced both the lungs of a Gaur and opened up nicely inside them , would guarantee a dead Gaur. A beast hit in such a manner would go eighty to ninety yards , blowing blood from it's nose and mouth , before dropping dead .
Now , a 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge was rather a little bit on the light side to stop a charging Gaur above 1800 pounds . However , you are a client and you do not need to worry about stopping charges . Instead , you should focus on placing your first bullet in a vital region . If you can do that with a 9.3 millimeter mauser , then l can guarantee a successfully secured buffalo .
I think that you will be fine with a 9.3 millimeter mauser . It is better to shoot properly with a comparitively smaller bore , than to use a larger bore which you have trouble using comfortably .

IMO, by far the 416 Rem would be better caliber for buffalo. And I'm very uncertain about the minimum caliber and/or energy regulations for the different jurisdictions. I would imagine there is some "wink and nod ignoring of the law" that goes on, but that part is up to you, the PH and the Outfitter/Landowner.

In the May/June, 2014 issue of the African Outfitter, there is an excellent article on bullet performance by Chris Bekker. Well worth reading if you can find a copy.

Screen shot of test results of shooting various bullets out of 9.3x62 at close range into fresh elephant carcasses. Bones were intentionally avoided to help ensure consistency of the test, shot to shot. Results agree with what I've seen in my own wet pack tests and field observations with some of the bullet designs shown below.

View attachment 318448

Comparing penetration between North Fork/Rhino SS (Solid Shank) to softs of Nosler, Woodleigh & Norma is not apples to apples.
In recent years I've had PH's mostly (more than 95%) recommend softs for a client shooting Buffalo with a bolt action rifle.
Obviously the needs of a client and PH differ and as such, their equipment will differ as well.

That being said, I would very much agree with you tha the 416RM is better for Buffalo.
There is no replacement for displacement.

I wholeheartedly agree with Kawshik .
You are better off , using the smaller ( so to speak ) bore which you are comfortable with , than the larger bore which you might struggle to shoot accurately . Use only good quality soft point bullets of the heaviest weight possible , in your 9.3 × 62 Mauser ( which , in our time in India , we used to call the .366 Mauser ) . Avoid solid metal covered bullets at all costs for buffalo . From personal experience , l can attest that a .366 Mauser solid metal covered 286 grain bullet makes a very small hole in a water buffalo or gaur's heart and it could sometimes go up to 2 kilometers without showing any signs of slowing down , which was very challenging for us professional shikarees .
A good double lung shot , with a soft point bullet ( 286 grains is about right ) fired from a broad side position , can make short work of a gaur or Indian water buffalo .

Were l personally given a choice of rifle to use , to go after buffaloes , my personal choice would be a .450 / 400 Nitro Express using 400 grain soft point bullets .
Even though l have no experience with the .404 Jeffery calibre , an internet search indicates that it is ballistically identical to the .450 / 400 Nitro Express .
Therefore , either of these 2 would be my personal choice .
In your .416 Remington magnum calibre rifle , l do not recommend using 300 grain bullets for buffalo , because the natural weight of .416 Remington magnum calibre bullets is 400 grains . A lighter bullet in a larger bore , reduces sectional density and therefore penetration
( Though to what degree in practicality , l cannot say ).

That said , if you could handle the 400 grain bullets in your .416 Remington magnum , then l would recommend it straight away. With the .366 Mauser , shot placement is a little more critical .
All the best.

9,3 x 62 is an old forgotten caliber for a dangerous game.
For a dangerous game I use ammunition from RWS with Original Breneke Torpedo Universal Bullet 293gr ( 19g)
and from RWS with bullet soft point 285gr ( 18,5g).
I also use ammunitions from Norma with bullet ORYX 285gr ( 18,5g).
I have never had problems with this ammunition.
404Jeffery and 9,3x62 Mauser are my favorite calibers for a dangerous game.

Last edited:
For a dangerous game I use ammunition from RWS with Original Breneke Torpedo Universal Bullet 293gr ( 19g)
Your choice and mine are identical , Witold . RWS makes very good bullets for all the continental calibres .

Reactions: WAB
Has that RWS 293gr better penetration than the woodleigh 286gr, swift a frame 286gr or nosler partition 286gr?
In my country I can find these RWS at every gun store but the other bullets not.

On RWS website states that the 293gr has 1/3 stars for cape buffalo.

Thanks

The only publisher of data on 2000MR for 9.3x62 is Hornady, for their 286 gr Interlock. I'm getting a touch over 2400 fps with 62.0 (62.4 is max, i believe) gr. Unless QuickLoad has been updated recently, it doesn't have that powder listed at all.

Finally got some loads worked up with Ramshot Big Game and Nosler Partition. Western Powders shows a max load of 62.0 gr, I got very good groups at 59.0 gr and about 2350 fps, I think. I'd have to go back and check my notebook for that. There are a number of guys at 24 Hour Campfire (a forum, we can't link to it here) who claim they're using 65 or even 66 gr of it, and getting about 2500 fps.

I tried Big Game with the Accubond 250 gr., velocity was inconsistent (+/- 80-100 fps at a given charge weight of powder), and groups were terrible. Apparently, Big Game gives more consistent results at higher pressure, and the short NAB doesn't take up enough case space to assist in that. I get good groups with Varget and NAB, velocity in the high 2400s. I could push them harder, but just don't see a reason to.

Attached is Western Powders data on 9.3x62. They show a load for a 320 gr bullet. Since Woodleigh is the only one who makes a 320 gr bullet in that caliber... They don't list a load for 325 gr Oryx.

As far as I am aware, Swift and Hornady are the only two who make 300 gr bullets in this caliber.

Thank you @sgt_zim I appreciate the information you provided here.

Thank you @Witold Krzyżanowski

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg