AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, SCI,NRA
Hunted
Alaska, Mexico, Inuvik NWT, Canada, Yukon, BC, Argentina, Limpopo, SA,Namibia, Africa
I just bough a new barrel for my Sauer 404 Rifle in a 6.5 Creedmoor. I do not reload but wishing for opinions what factory ammo y'all recommend for hunting Mule Deer up to Kudu. Generally anything up to Kudu or larger I use my 300 win mag or my 404 Jeffrey for dangerous game.

If you can find a 10# Kudu, the 6.5CM will be a great choice.
All kidding aside, you can certainly take kudu with a 6.5CM but in my opinion the CM tops out at about 400-500# critters. The factory loads I’d choose are the Nosler Trophy Grade with the 140gr Accubond (forget that 143gr Accubond LR), Barnes Vor-TX 127gr LR or Norma 156gr SP.

If you can find a 10# Kudu, the 6.5CM will be a great choice.
All kidding aside, you can certainly take kudu with a 6.5CM but in my opinion the CM tops out at about 400-500# critters. The factory loads I’d choose are the Nosler Trophy Grade with the 140gr Accubond (forget that 143gr Accubond LR), Barnes Vor-TX 127gr LR or Norma 156gr SP.
Hornady 143gr ELD-X ahead of 37.5gr of 4064. Absolutely devastating on small and medium pg.

142 gr nosler accubond LR. I have seen it work on 6 head of PG with good shooting.
I tried that round on a bull elk and multiple shots later I was not convinced it works well on that size game. (I used that rifle as a backup to a prior 7 mag that had a scope failure on that hunt.)

Great round. Works really well as factory ammo, super consistent, maybe the most accurate factory cartridge today? Tight chambers and no old Mausers floating around that have to be loaded short, undersized and lower fps.

Hornady 143gr ELDX have been super accurate and effective on pigs for me.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen (Townsend Nelson) might have some good loading data for it?
@CoElkHunter
160gn bullet case full of ultrafast pistol or shotgun powder.
Place cartridge in chamber, put rifle in a cradle and tie about 50 foot of string to the trigger.
When in a safe position pull string and watch the manbun self destruct.
Bob

Gents,

The thing that attracted and kept me here on AH so many years ago was the friendliness and polite behavior of its members. Jerome @AfricaHunting.com and @BRICKBURN have over the years done a great job of keeping things fun and friendly yet without being overbearing either. The website has taken criticism on other forums because there actually is moderation of the threads. As such I believe AH is the best hunting/shooting website there is and I've watched it grow over the years. Having said that......

I've no idea really why the 6.5 Creedmore is so popular. I've looked at the ballistics and read up on it a bit, can't seem to get why the craze. But whatever, I don't need to. If someone wants to shoot it and use it for appropriate sized animals, have at it, they won't hear anything from me denigrating it.

The original poster started this thread looking for loading information, not to be insulted or put down. And it's just not the AH way of doing things. No one enjoys rattling the chains of my friends, or having mine rattled by them anymore than me. It's all in good fun, even if @tarbe really hurt my tender feelings referring to my .300WM and it's stubby neck (no not really Tim). But the childish name calling (6.5 Manbun) ..... again not the AH way.

If you don't have something positive to contribute to a thread, then just stay out of it, no need to piss on it.

Gents,

If you don't have something positive to contribute to a thread, then just stay out of it, no need to piss on it.

:S Agree:

Feel free to disagree, do it with respect.

I am all for the Creedmore because it has revitalized interest in the 6.5 which is a great caliber for deer-sized game (Kudu not so much - but a much better option than a .243!). I don't have one because I own a 6.5x54MS, 6.5x55, and 6.5x57 - all three of which have been doing for a hundred years what the Creedmore has been doing for less than 15. :E Shrug: The 6.5 shines as a hunting choice with 140 gr class bullets. They have superb SD and all four of the cartridges listed can be extremely accurate.

Gents,

The thing that attracted and kept me here on AH so many years ago was the friendliness and polite behavior of its members. Jerome @AfricaHunting.com and @BRICKBURN have over the years done a great job of keeping things fun and friendly yet without being overbearing either. The website has taken criticism on other forums because there actually is moderation of the threads. As such I believe AH is the best hunting/shooting website there is and I've watched it grow over the years. Having said that......

I've no idea really why the 6.5 Creedmore is so popular. I've looked at the ballistics and read up on it a bit, can't seem to get why the craze. But whatever, I don't need to. If someone wants to shoot it and use it for appropriate sized animals, have at it, they won't hear anything from me denigrating it.

The original poster started this thread looking for loading information, not to be insulted or put down. And it's just not the AH way of doing things. No one enjoys rattling the chains of my friends, or having mine rattled by them anymore than me. It's all in good fun, even if @tarbe really hurt my tender feelings referring to my .300WM and it's stubby neck (no not really Tim). But the childish name calling (6.5 Manbun) ..... again not the AH way.

Phil great point and in most instances I would whole heartedly agree. In fact I'm one of the first on this site to have taken the 6.5 Creedmoor Man Bun to Africa and am still a big fan of the cartridge. My Ruger Predator with stainless barrel and colorful laminated stock is still my go to truck gun. Largely because it shoots 1/2" groups and has a fantastic 3.5-18 Ballistic Turret Swarovski scope (truly twice the cost of the gun). But also because I don't mind it getting bumped around. And it is effective at any range on anything I come across on my farms from wood chucks to mule deer and I wouldn't worry a bit with it on black bear and pray i can use it on wolf at home someday soon;)

However in this case, I think it has largely been the Australian membership pushing the man bum idea and having met a few Aussies in person, I find i can appreciate their humor and am personally choosing to take this all in good humor and embrace it. Especially coming from @Bob Nelson 35Whelen I mean he's old and living upside down so we need to give him a break and let him enjoy bashing the Creedmore even if it is a marvel of ballistic engineering;)

Phil great point and in most instances I would whole heartedly agree. In fact I'm one of the first on this site to have taken the 6.5 Creedmoor Man Bun to Africa and am still a big fan of the cartridge. My Ruger Predator with stainless barrel and colorful laminated stock is still my go to truck gun. Largely because it shoots 1/2" groups and has a fantastic 3.5-18 Ballistic Turret Swarovski scope (truly twice the cost of the gun). But also because I don't mind it getting bumped around. And it is effective at any range on anything I come across on my farms from wood chucks to mule deer and I wouldn't worry a bit with it on black bear and pray i can use it on wolf at home someday soon;)

However in this case, I think it has largely been the Australian membership pushing the man bum idea and having met a few Aussies in person, I find i can appreciate their humor and am personally choosing to take this all in good humor and embrace it. Especially coming from @Bob Nelson 35Whelen I mean he's old and living upside down so we need to give him a break and let him enjoy bashing the Creedmore even if it is a marvel of ballistic engineering;)
@Action Bob
I don't know about old at 63 but at times the old body feels like 100. Living upside down makes the blood go to the head. More blood in the brain the more intelligent.
Just wish I could figure out these dam emojis since they have changed
Bob

The 6.5CM with a 140gr Rhino Solid Shank or 140gr Nosler Partition will cleanly take any Kudu that stands in front of it.
Please leave the long range bullets at home when hunting Africa, ELX-X and Accubond LR are only good for shots over 300-400m and you will usually find your Kudu under 100m.
You are asking for bullet break up and three legged animals running away, use deep penetrating bullets and you will get your Kudu, or Wildebeest.

The caliber shoots a 140gr premium the same speed as my 6.5x55SE does so that is where this is coming from.
I even have friends who own Creedmoors.

I have a Blaser in 6.5 x 55 which is used for all UK deer (143 grain ELDx with 43.5 grains of RS 62 powder @ a modest 2550 ft per sec

Yesterday I took possession of a 26" barrelled 6.5 creed - Impact action and Sasson barrel

This morning we start working up a load for it using the 143 ELDx and RL 17

Though it is geared towards PRS comp and therefore seeking a velocity of closer to 2800 ft per sec, I'll post my findings later if people are interested

I have a Ruger predator in 6.5 creedmoor. With the original magazines it’s not 100% reliable on feeding, but that wasn’t the question. With any small caliber, bullet selection is key when hunting big game. The following would be my bullet choices in order:
135 terminal ascent
127 Barnes LRX
140 Accubond
140 partition/ gold dot/ woodleigh

I have reloaded with 3 different 140 gr bullets to over 2800fps using RL26. With 130gr bullets RL16 is my choice and both powders are extremely accurate. For factory ammo most of these bullets can be found commercially loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois