404 Jeffrey- Is it mostly a custom rifle build?

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
From my quick searches I've found few options for workhorse factory class rifles in 404 Jeffrey. If I'm interested in one, is the best option to build it?

Kind of depends on what you want. I wanted one using a M70 action. I found a M70 in .300RUM which made it pretty much perfect for the project. Sent the rifle off to Wayne at AHR. He put a new barrel on it, and may have touch the action a little bit and voila a M70 in .404J. Reasonable cost to do the job.

But for not much more maybe even the same I may have been able to find a CZ built to be a .404J in the first place. But I didn't want a CZ, so I'm good with I did get.

Montana Rifles, a sponsor here, offers a .404J at what I think is a pretty reasonable rate. Whether or not that rate is reasonable is totally up to you.

Last edited:
Availability of 404 Jeffery rifles was previously somewhat of an issue. Are they available in rifles costing under a grand, NO. CZ(s) were available for about $3,500 base price but they don't always work. If you bought one quite often it had to go to AHR who for a fee turned them into respectable rifles. In the past few years you could buy a Mod 70 in one of the RUM calibers offered and have those converted, again for a non-trivial fee. Redoing a Mouser 98 has always been an option but there is a bit of complicated gunsmithing required. Or you could go the Custom route. However The Montana Rifle Company has just recently included the 404 Jeffery as a standard in several of their models. I think that most 404 Jeffery owners tend to keep them.

I had a very nice one built by Kilimanjaro Rifles. It's taken some nice animals . . .

Converted Ruger RSM . Expect to spend around $3000 including the cost of the original RSM. Maybe less, depending exactly what you want.....and if you are lucky.

Montana Rifles, a sponsor here, offers a .404J at what I think is a pretty reasonable rate. Whether or not that rate is reasonable is totally up to you.
Anyone have much experience with Montana Rifles? I've never had my hands on one. What rifles would they be similar to?

From my quick searches I've found few options for workhorse factory class rifles in 404 Jeffrey. If I'm interested in one, is the best option to build it?

It is mostly a custom built rifle, but CZ and Mauser makes them.

Based on input and advice from several AH members, I found a very nice looking Winchester M70 Super Grade in 300 RUM for sale on Gunbroker. I ordered a Krieger barrel for 404 Jeffery and had gunsmith Dennis Olson in Montana do the conversion.

Anyone have much experience with Montana Rifles? I've never had my hands on one. What rifles would they be similar to?
I have a MRC in .338 RUM. Although not a dangerous game gun, I like it a lot. Seems well constructed. Accurate, pretty smooth, feeds well, M70 style trigger and safety. It strikes me as being a mid point between a factory M70 and a custom job. I like it enough, I’d buy another one (and plan on doing so).

Based on input and advice from several AH members, I found a very nice looking Winchester M70 Super Grade in 300 RUM for sale on Gunbroker. I ordered a Krieger barrel for 404 Jeffery and had gunsmith Dennis Olson in Montana do the conversion.
It sounds like in short order you will own a .404! Truly a fantastic caliber!

I went back to the thread to jog my memory. Yes you do have a gorgeous rifle...Congratulations again!

Last edited:
I have a MRC in .338 RUM. Although not a dangerous game gun, I like it a lot. Seems well constructed. Accurate, pretty smooth, feeds well, M70 style trigger and safety. It strikes me as being a mid point between a factory M70 and a custom job. I like it enough, I’d buy another one (and plan on doing so).
Thanks for the input- I really like the look of their "Alaskan" model. And have a model 70 already so that configuration works for me.

That is a stunning rifle! Is the 300 RUM receiver different in length or ejection port size compared to say the normal 375 receiver? I know the mag box is different.

The 300 RUM and 375 H&H both have a COAL of 3.600", so I am guessing it's the same magnum length action. The 404 is a bit shorter at 3.530".

Mine is built on a Sako AV action - being lefthanded sure limits your options... Put a Lothar Walter barrel on it. Bolt face opened.
New mag box. I don't think there was much work on the feeding done.

Getting a new stock done - hopefully finished before the fall season starts.

@cmk I hear you about being a lefty! I found a left hand Win M70 in 30-06 and a guy near me has a custom 458 that he is willing to sell, but the price is a bit high atm.

You can also get Sauer 404 in 404 Jeffery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg