375 H&H Question

You'll be fine wit your Noslers. I have shot every antelope in the southern African countries from eland to steenbok and the partitions and accubonds worked beautifully. In addition, those 'old school' projectiles which are bonded, have taken forty years worth of mule deer, white tails, moose, elk, and prongorn

Going with the 300 grain bullets is the best call, I did that this January for buffalo and four species of plains game using Peregrine Bushmaster bullets out of a 375 Ruger. The Accubonds would probably be better, but I find it interesting that 180 grain Partitions out of a 30-06 were the standard for plains game including eland (and moose here in Alaska) for a lot of people over the years but now a 300 grain one out of a 375 is possibly not adequate? Yes, Partitions typically shed most of the forward portion of the bullet, that's how they were engineered, but they do retain the back portion and penetrate well. I know of a few grizzly bears in Alaska that died quickly with 250 grain Partitions out of 338 mags. So I'd think the 300 grain Partitions from a 375 H&H would work on a lioness just fine. I'd contact your PH and get their opinion.

...oops! in North Arica, and red deer in Europe. There are many good bullets, but the partition will be in my chamber when I go moose hunting next week.

I used 300g Norma Oryx and took along 350g Norma Woodleigh for just in case. The Oryx killed everything I shot. Not sure if I would want to use it the tiny 10, but I have no interest in any of the tiny 10 either. You are covered.

If the shots are longer than expected in the east cape use a camp or PH rifle you carry the 375 and the PH the other rifle if shot is long you will have time to swap rifles. Then on the lion hunt any premium 300gr will do.

375 H&H easily shoots well up to 300 meters just learn the bullet drop and have a person range properly. 300 meters might be a bit far for the scope you are taking. But keep it on you dont want a large magnification scope when hunting lion.

Most important enjoy and have fun.

First 2 safaris I used partitions, 300 gr in my 375 H&H. Love the bullet, only downside is larger exit holes and more sewing. Some smaller species had big rips where shock also helped open them.

Then I switched to accubonds. Problem went away but all animals hit correct fell down or ran very short distances. I used 260gr 375 H&H on male lion past Aug, no issues, also anchored croc, 165 grains in 308 did same to all PG including Limpopo bushbuck. They are all I need, available, in Canada, reasonable price 1/2 what other specialty bullets are, group well and drop what they hit. Pic proves to me that I have chosen the right bullet, over 20 game this summer added to accubond list.

7 on left are 165 gr from lightly loaded 308 win, recovered under far skin in sable, waterbuck, lechwe, cant remember others all from varying distances. 3 on left 260 gr from 375, 1 from lion and 2 from croc. All others completely passed thru.

I have no accubond pics like @375 Fox bottom pic= that's an epic fail to me, even if it killed would never use that bullet again. This proven performance keeps me an accubond guy. No reason to change.

MB
thumbnail_image2 accubonds.jpg

I've used 375H&H caliber 300 grain Swift A-Frames with excellent results on PG up to Eland. Other names I'd trust are Norma Oryx, Barnes TSX and TBBC. I've also ordered custom ammo from John at Safari Arms Ltd. (https://www.safariarms.com/). Great guy and great ammo.

As far as the NP is concerned, the 1948 technology has been surpassed by the current market of premium bullets. Considering the cost difference between the NP and the other options I listed, why would you skimp on the only item that touches the game? Long live @bruce moulds!!!

I would not hesitate to use only one caliber for everything. However, I would throw in about 10 rounds of solids from CEB or Woodleigh Hydros. Following up on Buffalo and possibly an opportunity to take one of the T10. Softs are too much for the T10.

The scope you have is perfect for what you have planned out to 300 yards. If you wanted to take another one, like a Leupold 3-9x40 for PG, it "could" be of use. However I really don't think it's necessary, more of a backup plan than anything else.

First 2 safaris I used partitions, 300 gr in my 375 H&H. Love the bullet, only downside is larger exit holes and more sewing. Some smaller species had big rips where shock also helped open them.

Then I switched to accubonds. Problem went away but all animals hit correct fell down or ran very short distances. I used 260gr 375 H&H on male lion past Aug, no issues, also anchored croc, 165 grains in 308 did same to all PG including Limpopo bushbuck. They are all I need, available, in Canada, reasonable price 1/2 what other specialty bullets are, group well and drop what they hit. Pic proves to me that I have chosen the right bullet, over 20 game this summer added to accubond list.

7 on left are 165 gr from lightly loaded 308 win, recovered under far skin in sable, waterbuck, lechwe, cant remember others all from varying distances. 3 on left 260 gr from 375, 1 from lion and 2 from croc. All others completely passed thru.

I have no accubond pics like @375 Fox bottom pic= that's an epic fail to me, even if it killed would never use that bullet again. This proven performance keeps me an accubond guy. No reason to change.

MB View attachment 430206
Impressive results from the Accubonds!

I hunted PG in the Eastern Cape in July-Impala, Kudu, Wildebeest, Blesbock, Springbuck. Barnes 300gr Vort-TX on everything. Kudu was 280 meters across a valley, on the move and quartering away. PH said shoot, so I shot. The bullet entered behind the last rib and exited under the neck, taking the heart with it. Rifle is a similar set up, CZ 550 with 2.5-12 Accupoint.
Safe Travels and Good Hunting.
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG

MB View attachment 430206

+1. Accubonds are great bullets. The expand just enough and shed just enough weight. Everything I shot was killed with ease, even if I didn't do my job as well as I should have.

Have to disagree with you on this one! Partitions are one of the first premium bullets. They open quite quickly but the H partition holds together the rear and of the bullet for deep penetration.

It’s the perfect one bullet load for Eland, bushbuck and lioness IMO.
I prefer full bullets not half bullets...

PARA45,

I suspect that your 1 to 6x scope will be perfect.
Many hunters today seem to prefer what I would call “over-powered” scopes, especially us USA residents, for some reason.
Those huge things both make finding close range animals, especially when they’re moving, quite difficult and often the eye relief is too close, resulting in cut eyebrow during recoil.
I have concluded long ago that for most big game hunting conditions, Africa or otherwise, a simple 4x scope is about perfect.
For more unusual conditions, such as N. American pronghorn or South African vaal rhebok hunting, a simple 6x scope is perfectly adequate.

Having never used the Accubond bullet or even seen any other person use one, I can only say that people who write about having used them, seem happy with their performance.

As far as the topic of using a .375 for so called “plains game” plus lion / lioness goes, although I’ve not shot a huge cat with it, the .375 H&H is my favorite cartridge for all non-dangerous African game, including eland plus, all species of Alaskan game (I live in Alaska).
Seems to me that almost any 300 grain soft (well, except for the vintage Winchester silver tip) would do well for you.

I totally agree with IvW that, Swift A-Frame and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw are pretty much the best of the best in today’s bonded core bullets.
Before the forces of evil slapped our faces with the present ammunition shortages, Bear Claw bullets were always somewhat scarce here in Alaska.
Super popular here but hard to find.
However, the A-Fame bullet was (WAS) quite commonly available on gun store shelves, back when.
If the forces of evil ever take their Jack booted foot off our throat, we hope to see A-Frame bullets here in abundance once again.

Also, I totally agree with IvW on the topic of the Barnes mono-metal expanding bullet line.
Having seen erratic and disappointing performance from various brands of hollow point design bullets, including but not limited to Barnes brand, I never use hollow points of any description any more.
My favorite for the majority of my hunting for hooved game is the round nosed soft point “RNSP”.
In tubular magazine type rifles, such as the typical lever action .30-30, I prefer flat nosed soft point.

Having only shot perhaps about 110 to 120 hooved animal species and of those, only 2 were eland, I am nowhere near as experienced as many here in the world’s best forum.
Therefore please do take my limited experience with bullet choice for eland with a grain of pepper.

The first eland I shot (Aug / Sept, 2017) was by means of the .375 H&H and 300 grain round nose PMP brand (a South Africa ammunition company) factory loaded ammunition.
Even though I myself did not do as well as intended, for my ever so important first shot, nonetheless that bullet performed perfectly.
The bull was facing me, in very thick thornbush, at close range.
I aimed at the juncture of throat and brisket.
Evidently I tweeked my muzzle to my right, because my bullet struck this eland on the left shoulder, breaking it and knocking him to the ground but not killing him.
He got back up and a merry chase began through the Kalahari thorns, ending in myself finally shooting him again.
When the dust settled, myself, the PH and our Tracker all were in bloody tatters, looking as if we had been set upon by a mob of angry caracals.
Anyway, I presume this bullet left the muzzle around 2550 fps, as that is the industry standard for this cartridge, with 300 gr bullet.

The 2nd eland I shot (Sept / Oct 2021) with the .375 was also with 300 grain RNSP but this time it was Federal brand (a USA ammunition company).
It was not one of Federal’s premium bonded bullet designs.
It was only their simple jacketed soft, in blunt shape aka “round nosed” profile.
Also likely leaving the muzzle at about 2550 fps.
Both the above elands, upon being struck on the shoulder by my respective first shot each, dropped to the ground, as if proverbially struck by lightning.
This second eland, being well hit, stayed down.
I have this Federal bullet, as it was recovered just under the skin, opposite shoulder.
It had broken one shoulder but missed the other shoulder bones by about 3 inches.

I have shot a number of other animals with 300 grain round nosed (and 270 grain round nosed) softs from the .375 H&H, in both Africa (multiple Safaris) and here in Alaska (where I live).
Most of my experiences with said RNSP bullets have been with the old, original Hornady brand.
I do not know if these are even being made any more.
But fortunately, I have a decent number of them tucked away for what’s left of my fast diminishing huntable years now (I’m an old geezer).
All critters I’ve shot with these old fashioned, and nowadays misunderstood “cup & core” bullets, have been with 100% satisfaction.

Also, I have shot a few critters in both locations mentioned, while using 300 grain Nosler Partition (“NP”) bullets as well.
As a “plains game” bullet, I like the Nosler Partition.
But it’s worth mentioning that I use plenty of gun and also, I favor heavy for caliber bullets, no matter what caliber I’m hunting with.
Last but not least, as others have already mentioned, the nose section is super soft, if not fragile.

However:
For your lioness, I can only guess this feature would make the NP bullet a fine choice for that animal.
It remains a favorite here in Alaska for grizzly.
Although I absolutely would NEVER use the NP on African buffalo, rhino or body shots on hippo, I suspect it would do well on N. American bison and / or Africa’s eland.

Worth mentioning is that, many cartridges of our time now, produce too much velocity.
This often results in unnecessarily ruined meat and skins / capes badly torn, etc.
Even the wonderful .375 H&H could benefit by lowering the velocity of the 300 grain load to about 2400 fps, IMO.
I’ve hand loaded the old time 300 grain Hornady RNSP (and solid as well) to 2400 fps and shot various critters with it, again in both Africa and Alaska.
It indeed is easier on the venison and skins plus, it recoils just a wee bit less than factory loaded ammunition does.
Well anyway, blah, blah, blah, out.

Stay safe, shoot straight and send plenty of photographs.

Prost !,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I hunted this summer in Namibia and RSA. I shot a damara Dik Dik in Namibia at 50yards, A very large old eland at 150yds and a grand old buff at 60 yds. All were one shot kills with 375 h and h with 300 grain swift a frames. The eland traveled less than fifty yards, the buff traveled 50 yards, and the dik dik dropped. The a frame tore the small antelope on the exit unfortunately (I tried to shoot thru the middle but it clipped ribs and tore a lot on the backside). The shot placement is king, the caliber is important, and the bullet is third (in my humble opinion). The greatest bullet in the wrong spot on large game can spell trouble An inferiorly built bullet in the right anatomical position produces great results most of the time (with a few well documented examples of exceptions to this rule). The swift a frames were dead on at 100 and the woodleigh solids (that I didn’t use) were close enough to not worry about point of impact change. Shoot a lot and shoot accurately and buy quality bullets! Accubonds or TTSX or AFRAMES or any of the previously mentioned bullets perform well on plains game. Enjoy your safari!!

0BA382FE-7A07-4655-ABB6-2573435EDFB9.jpeg
1634BDCC-E930-41CB-AD77-5BB5FFF6DB6C.jpeg
B112E8B6-A792-4B28-A4B2-AB389BC03894.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so helpful, how would you guys advise zero for the 375 to make it effective out to 300 yards? 100 yard zero or 200?

100 yard zero and learn what the bullets drop at 200 and 300 normally you will have time to range and get ready for longer shots but at 200 it should only be a drop of 6" depending on bullet flat nose, round nose our spitzer and your speed.

This is so helpful, how would you guys advise zero for the 375 to make it effective out to 300 yards? 100 yard zero or 200?

I would zero 2 or 3 inches hi at 100
Then 100 or 200 you dont have to think about the bullet drop etc. Suspect u not doing head or neck shots
Then check 250 and 300 and u r good to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg