375 H&H Question

300 grain Partitions will plenty adequate for large plains game, and more than plenty adequate for lioness.
Until you hit the point of the shoulder on a large eland bull.....

The 270s are not solids, they are soft points.

Just to be absolutely clear. In now way shape for form should you be using a solid for any pg or lioness. If you can find Hornady dgx. That is ok but solids are for elephant. Hippo, follow up Cape buffalo and rhino. Great quality softs are much better option for everything you are hunting.

If I was you I would go with the 300 grain Nosler Partitions. They are the best in regard to the balance between expansion and penetration. They will penetrate excellently on the Eland and will open up shockingly well on the lioness and other lighter PG.
As for the Hornady SP’s. They will work but you need to pick your shots. I have chronographed them at 2900 FPS out of my 375. Super fast. They are a non bonded cup and core and will open up violently at that velocity. But 270 grains of lead and copper will do the job if you put it in the right place. I recommend taking the Partitions unless they don’t shoot well in your rifle.

Last edited:
“Nosler are old school cup and core non bonded”
Have to disagree with you on this one! Partitions are one of the first premium bullets. They open quite quickly but the H partition holds together the rear and of the bullet for deep penetration.

It’s the perfect one bullet load for Eland, bushbuck and lioness IMO.

I was not implying use 270 grain solids in 375 . The 270 grain DGX would be my choice.But I have used 300 grain DGS on duiker and steenbok. No way use a solid on lion or leopard.

I'm using 300 grain VRG-3 Peregrine for everything on my .375 Ruger.

I would choose a Swift A-Frame over a Partition. They look similar in construction, but are far from twins. The Partition has a thinner front jacket, to promote rapid expansion and "bang flops". Whereas the A-Frame is built for weight retention and deep penetration. I actually had a Nosler rep tell me, the Accubond and Partition was never intended for animals like Buffalo.

The 270 grain from Hornady is a Interlock, they don't make a 270 DGS/DGX. The DGS isn't a true solid and the DGX isn't Bonded, unless they've changed things.

A great do it all route to take, would be the Hornady 250 grain GMX, Barnes 250 TTSX, or Barnes 270 LRX.

Stand corrected, haven’t used the 270 grain in since 2013, mind not what it used to be. Since 2014 and my first Safari I’ve used the 300 grain DGX and DGS in 375 Ruger with great results on everything from duiker to PAC elephant.

I just used my 375 with 1.75 by 6 Leupold. I shot buff to duikers with Swift 300 gr A- Frames and 300 grain Winchester/ Nosler Fail Safes slugs. All hand loaded. Solids punched nice little holes in Duiker, Impala, Hartebeest others all heart/ lung shots. I have shot 3 cape eland with a 300 gr. A- Frame on the shoulder. None have gone more than 50yds. It’s perfect load for big eland. I however would not recommend the low power scope but full size 3 by 9 etc. I’m 63 and struggled to see smaller game at 100 to 200 yds in low light as I just returned from SA and Tanzania last week after a month of hunting Duikers to Buff. Father Time made me use guides gun with bigger objectives/higher magnification for some of the antelope. Wasn’t confident with my setup which I have used many times before. Eyes not as good as they once was!!!!

300 grain Partitions will plenty adequate for large plains game, and more than plenty adequate for lioness.
Barnes 235gr TSX for anything up to eland. Barnes 350gr TSX for eland and dg.

I'd like to ask a question to those who have hunted PG & DG with a 375 H&H. Next year I'll be going to the East Cape to hunt PG, biggest being an Eland, and smallest being a Bush Buck. Right after that hunt I'll be heading to the Kalahari to hunt a Lioness. I am planning on taking my AHR CZ 550 in 375 H&H. My question to you is from the following, which bullet would be better? I currently have the following ammo, Federal Premium Safari 300 grs Nosler Partition, and Hornady DGS 270 grs SP Superformance. I don't want to be switching scopes, and ammo, and I want to keep it simple. I was going to take two scopes, but decided to only take the Trijicom Accumark 1-6x24. Your thoughts on this as well?

I've read on some post where someone claims to use the 300 grs on everything, others to go lighter on the bullets. Your opinions and expertise is greatly appreciated.
Definitely go with one scope and one load. I’d use the 300 gr. That superformance ammo will likely blow up your bushbuck. .375 is not too big for PG.

Nosler Partitions often get a bad rap today. But my experience says other wise.

I fired a 7mm 160 Grain Nosler PT at a bull elk at about 75 yards - a load that gives almost 3100 FPS muzzle velocity. I found the bullet had gone through ribs, lungs, and off shoulder and was balled up under the skin on the off-side. The front core was reduced and balled up but did not separate from the jacket. I did not weigh it to make a determination of how 'good' it was, but the elk traveled about 30 - 40 yards and was dead as a smelt when he fell. I think if the Nosler PT was going to blow up, that target and velocity would have made it happen. It didn't.

Nosler Partitions are designed to open rapidly and maximize 'shock' but the rear core and jacket keep penetrating. I would not use them on thick skinned DG, but if they kill elk, they will kill kudu, sable, gemsbok, etc. I have never shot an eland, so no opinion there.

Last edited:
I'd like to ask a question to those who have hunted PG & DG with a 375 H&H. Next year I'll be going to the East Cape to hunt PG, biggest being an Eland, and smallest being a Bush Buck. Right after that hunt I'll be heading to the Kalahari to hunt a Lioness. I am planning on taking my AHR CZ 550 in 375 H&H. My question to you is from the following, which bullet would be better? I currently have the following ammo, Federal Premium Safari 300 grs Nosler Partition, and Hornady DGS 270 grs SP Superformance. I don't want to be switching scopes, and ammo, and I want to keep it simple. I was going to take two scopes, but decided to only take the Trijicom Accumark 1-6x24. Your thoughts on this as well?

I've read on some post where someone claims to use the 300 grs on everything, others to go lighter on the bullets. Your opinions and expertise is greatly appreciated.
If you want to use 300 grain for everything, get you some A-Frames or Weldcores. If you'd like a little flatter trajectory, get the Hornady Outfitter with the 250 GMX. That paired with your Accupoint scope would be a brilliant setup!

Thank you gents for taking the time to answer my questions and for voicing your opinions & experiences. I have plenty of 300 Grs Accubonds that I can load, and most likely use for the coming trip. I'll see how the NP shoot out of my rifle and have as back up. A lot of great suggestion on using some great bullets if we were in a different time when reloading components or loaded ammo was readily available.

BTW, in no way I implied of using solids on any PG, the 270s I mentioned are not solids, they are soft points. (y)

This is 300 gr TBBC I just pulled from eland couple days ago 60 yards. Also is pieces of 2 woodleigh protected points shot at a Roan at 70 yards (main bullet did pass through). I took 30 TBBC and 30 woodleighs because it’s what I could get and shot same. I won’t take anything besides Swift, TBBC, Barnes again if possible regardless if something else will probably work. My PH said it on first day but the woodleighs are too soft at 375 H&H velocities. There will be time to acquire 60 quality rounds before your hunt. Practice with anything prior to that. I started putting a TBBC as first round then woodleighs for follow up if needed to make best of what I had.
E8A7DDDB-36BB-4A12-82EE-F7F5B8B86A33.jpeg
1C3B4C4B-8AA7-4B06-8805-C77649F2F517.jpeg

Premier bullets with partition or bonded core would do the job. Select 3 or 4, buy one box of each, try them for grouping at 100 m and 200 m and keep the one that provides the best group at 200 meters in your barrel. If 2 loads are equivalent in grouping, take the one that has the flatest trajectory. If they are equivalent, take the least expensive ;-)
Differences in grouping are amazing.
In my Blaser R8, I chose the Norma Oryx 300 grains. I shot a roedeer of about 25 kg a few days ago at 150 m through both shoulders, the wounds are pretty small.
Keep us posted on your tests!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.