.30-06 and 165gr Bullets, what powder?

+++++1 on 56 gr. IMR 4350. 165 gr anything or 168 gr Barnes....if your rifle will not shoot that load. Sell it. Has accounted for over 100 head of African plains game from Kudu, Zebra, Oryx, Wildebeast down to Jackal and Baboons. One shot 95% of the time out as far as 367 yds, most pass thru on Barnes.

AR2209 (Australian powder) = 4350
Great powder for the :06.
Also produces great groups.
Suggest you check recoil pad to see if you can improve on it so your wife could handle the (in reality) modest recoil.
Varget (I think that’s just relabeled AR2208 Australian powder) is a might fast for the /06 in my opinion.
The /06 is a really great cartridge. Used one no two for many years.

HI; PHIL!....
I´m glad to let you a hand this time!
Friend, I reload the 30-06 with IMR 4350 and I think it´s very good powder (some guys prefers the 4064, but the less recoil and lower burn vellocity of the 4350 are factors to consider!)
I load the Sierra code 2275 (175 gr match) with 57 grs and this is a great shot! About 2800 fps!
But very heavy for you´re wife shoulder!
My friend Robert cut the boars in te middle with this shots...
I reccomend you the remigton Corelokt 165 grs bullet with a load of 55 grs and gradually increase the load if you´re wife hold out the kick!... I won´t be the target of youre..... insults! hahahaha!
Any way, at least with 55 grs of this powder, the 165 bulet can fly at 2700 fps... But I have to say something! ... the best groups with this powder are in the highest loads!

Agreed and that was my experience too - best groups - max velocity

Another old thread to reflect back on......
WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!!......

I use to use IMR 4350. Now I use IMR 4064, 1 powder for all 3 of my -06's ( Encore, Remington 7400, before they were stolen) and Mossberg Patriot. The Hornady 165's and Barnes 168 TTSX shot the same powder charge with micro (as in no scope adjustment) change in bullet impact on target.

Powder: IMR 4064 49.4 grains
Primer: CCI #200 Large Rifle
Bullet: Hornady 165 grain SST / Barnes 168 TTSX

IMR 4064 and 165 grain Sierra Gamekings go together like peas and carrots. the classic load is 50 grains IMR 4064. Ive also had good success with H4895.

I am almost finished my first load: 180gr hornady BTSP over 54.5gr IMR 4350 (final touches this week I hope). So, I am no expert, but in building the load everything I read indicated IMR 4350 or H4350 is the way to go.

Regarding recoil, I noted that the Hornady manual starting loads were much lower (48gr) than Lee(56gr) for 165gr over IMR 4350. So, if you go with Hornady I believe you will get lighter loads to start.

Probably way down on loads as a precaution. Note that the manuals cater for very old 30/06s.
Suggest you work up the loads but don’t be surprised if max or near max loads give you the best groups.

Probably way down on loads as a precaution. Note that the manuals cater for very old 30/06s.
Suggest you work up the loads but don’t be surprised if max or near max loads give you the best groups.
I loaded up 180 gr North Forks over 59gr (I believe) of H4831. It is a very accurate load but not the fastest (I think an average of 2550 with a 22" barrel). I started using H4831 for my 308 Norma because it was what I could get at the time, and tried it on the '06 to limit the number of powders I have to buy. Having done that experiment, my thoughts are the 165gr bullet is actually a better option for the 06 when using premium bullets.

Indeed a bit of an old thread. The wife got along just fine with the M70 FW. And as noted above the load was great. It took a number of animals in her first hunting trip to Africa.

I am thinking about selling off the FW and getting her a Super Grade, just cause, no particular reason. If I do that, perhaps I'll give these other loads a go. Lots of H4831 in my closet. It has become a go to powder for a number of my rifles.

HI; PHIL!....
I´m glad to let you a hand this time!
Friend, I reload the 30-06 with IMR 4350 and I think it´s very good powder (some guys prefers the 4064, but the less recoil and lower burn vellocity of the 4350 are factors to consider!)
I load the Sierra code 2275 (175 gr match) with 57 grs and this is a great shot! About 2800 fps!
But very heavy for you´re wife shoulder!
My friend Robert cut the boars in te middle with this shots...
I reccomend you the remigton Corelokt 165 grs bullet with a load of 55 grs and gradually increase the load if you´re wife hold out the kick!... I won´t be the target of youre..... insults! hahahaha!
Any way, at least with 55 grs of this powder, the 165 bulet can fly at 2700 fps... But I have to say something! ... the best groups with this powder are in the highest loads!
Hi Marcos,

what is the barrel length and turn rate on your 30-06?

I am almost finished my first load: 180gr hornady BTSP over 54.5gr IMR 4350 (final touches this week I hope). So, I am no expert, but in building the load everything I read indicated IMR 4350 or H4350 is the way to go.

Regarding recoil, I noted that the Hornady manual starting loads were much lower (48gr) than Lee(56gr) for 165gr over IMR 4350. So, if you go with Hornady I believe you will get lighter loads to start.
I have had great luck with 58 grains of IMR 4350 behind 165 gr. Accubonds and the old Failsafe bullets.
Doug

Had good success with IMR4350 and Vihtavuori N550 but am now load 165gr Sierra Tipped Gamekings over Norma URP and Federal GM210M large primers for excellent accuracy and 2950fps in a 25” barrel.

As mentioned in the .30-06 thread, I've got one coming. First .30-06 I'll have ever owned. Picked up a great deal on a M70 FW that hasn't been shot since bought in 2008. Will load it lightly initially with the intent of building up my wife's recoil tolerance until she can handle 165gr loads.

So what powder do you guys like for this caliber/bullet weight combination? I'm thinking IMR4350 or Varget.
@PHOENIX PHIL
I know this is an old post but have you tried Hogdon superformance
Screenshot_20200825-190121_Chrome.jpg

This is direct from the Hogdon site.
Bob

Given the limitation of rifle selection and needing to have one rifle meet several needs, the 30-06 loaded with the previously mentioned Barnes .032" copper jacket/lead core bullets with muzzle velocity about 2400 fps would perform well in situation where a soft point bullet is wanted in conjunction with very deep penetration. The 250 gr Round Nose would even be better except that with the 30-06 the velocity has dropped to the point of making it a short range rifle. Both bullets are about the same length as the old Winchester 220s, so stabilizing, at least at the effective range was not a problem. I never see Barnes advertising them anymore, so they may have been discontinued in favor of their no-lead bullets- if so, such the pity.
@Ray B
Fear not about the Barnes. Woodleigh in Australia make nice 240 grainers for the .308 bore.
Bob

My son killed an Eland bull with his .308 Win using 165gr North Forks. First shot was in the boiler room and was fatal no question. Prudence and respect for the animal dictated to add finishing shots. But given a few more moments following the first shot I'm quite convinced that the bull which was still standing close to where he was on the first shot would've eventually layed down and died.

My wife's rifle will be shooting the same bullets but with .30-06 velocity so I'm not too concerned.
@PHEONIX PHIL
I don't think the 100fps difference would make that much difference. A 165gn in a 208 will give over 2,800fps while the 06 is just over 2,900fps.
Just my thoughts.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg