1st time Blaser owner in NC

teesquare

Reaction score
Found this site while looking for info on how to change out the magazines held in the trigger group on my R8... ( to no avail anywhere on the 'net BTW...:censored:) And see that some of you use Blaser rifles.
Glad to find a group that I can learn from. I am from Texas - but live in Western NC on a mountain. I travel to deep West Texas and New Mexico a couple of time a year to hunting visit friends/family. Primarily hunt Elk, but this year I am going to chase Pronghorn Antelope. The areas of NM that I would ordinarily hunt Elk are - sadly - on fire and I am not a fan of hunting deadfall timber areas.
Anyhow - thanks for accepting my request and I look forward to learning. Africa is a dream hunt. I just need to encourage that dream......:giggle:

T

Welcome to AH teesquare!

Hello and welcome from a fellow Tarheel! Hope you make the trek to Africa soon!

Also consider BlaserBuds forum, it covers all Blaser group, including Mauser, Blaser. Not really anything on F3s. An excellent resource

Welcome aboard teesquare. The Blaser R8 has a significant following among AH members. I doubt there is any question they can't answer concerning the operation and use of that rifle. Use the AH Search function to find the R8 articles previously posted. If you can't find what you're looking for, ask. BTW stick around here for a little bit and you'll find that you and your R8 will be headed to Africa sooner than you thought possible.

Thanks all !
cpr0312 - what part of NC are you in?
Challer - thanks. I joined there as well.
Shootist43- thank you. Will search for info. The only thing I have not figured out...and it is not clear in the manual nor have I found anything on the 'net...is HOW to remove/replace the magazines from eh trigger group. Silly - I am sure, it will be one of those "DOH!!!" moments once I see how to do it.

@teesquare ,

I am east of Charlotte about 45 minutes

I assume your rifle has the removable trigger group? If so, it's very easy to swap out the mag inserts. Just squeeze both sides toward the middle, and stick your finger down in front of the insert and pull straight up. There are two small "tits" that hold the insert in place on the sides. Those just need to be pushed in far enough to clear.
Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH. Lots of Blaser fans on the site.

I assume your rifle has the removable trigger group? If so, it's very easy to swap out the mag inserts. Just squeeze both sides toward the middle, and stick your finger down in front of the insert and pull straight up. There are two small "tits" that hold the insert in place on the sides. Those just need to be pushed in far enough to clear.
Welcome aboard!
Have tried that, but maybe I am not visualizing correctly? I have squeezed and pried, and begged and pulled, etc. Might be a problem with mine....I will be on the phone today with Blaser USA to see if it is just me not grasping the concept or an actual problem. THANK YOU for trying to help!
T

teesquare, welcome to the AH forum! Yep a number of R8 fanatics here.

I am near Brevard.
Lovely area. Had my honeymoon on Lake Toxaway.

not sure I’m following your question regarding how to remove the magazine from the trigger group. The R8 isn’t like other rifles where the magazine is independent of the trigger group. On the R8, magazine is part of the trigger group and isn’t removed from the trigger. If you want, for example, a second magazine, that means an entire magazine/trigger group assembly.

If what you are asking to do is remove the magazine/ trigger assembly from the rifle, that is a simple matter of squeezing the ears on the bottom and pulling the whole thing out. If that doesn’t work, it is because the inner switch has been set to make the magazine non-removable and it just needs to be slid to the removable setting.

If you are trying to change cartridge groups, that is a matter of changing the magazine insert.

Happy to help with more detail once I understand what you are trying to do.

Lovely area. Had my honeymoon on Lake Toxaway.

not sure I’m following your question regarding how to remove the magazine from the trigger group. The R8 isn’t like other rifles where the magazine is independent of the trigger group. On the R8, magazine is part of the trigger group and isn’t removed from the trigger. If you want, for example, a second magazine, that means an entire magazine/trigger group assembly.

If what you are asking to do is remove the magazine/ trigger assembly from the rifle, that is a simple matter of squeezing the ears on the bottom and pulling the whole thing out. If that doesn’t work, it is because the inner switch has been set to make the magazine non-removable and it just needs to be slid to the removable setting.

If you are trying to change cartridge groups, that is a matter of changing the magazine insert.

Happy to help with more detail once I understand what you are trying to do.
I think he's referring to the plastic magazine insert that goes into the trigger/magazine group. You have to swap these out if going to a different caliber group than your current magazine insert. Such as going from 30/06 to 300 Win Mag.

Welcome!

A quick call to Blaser USA - and mystery solved. It was not clearly covered int he manual - or any video...but simply squeezing the feed lips together - solved the problem. Such a simple and yet stupifying little thing....:LOL:.
Thanks to all that have tried to help me on this!
T

Welcome aboard @teesquare.

Look up “Inside Blaser” YouTube videos by Blaser USA (link below). There are several of these how to videos that are helpful.

Inside Blaser

@teesquare - welcome to AH.

My wife and I own 3 Blaser R8’s…feel free to ask any questions. Happy to help.

There are also some good threads on AH about using the R8 for hunting Africa. Check them out.

Hello teesquare,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I’m too dull of wit to be any help on any of the straight pull rifle mechanisms.
Technologically stymied cave man here, but glad you joined.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg