ZAMBIA: spike.t's Epic Wonderland At Takeri Reserve Zambia

Return to Lusaka
I had some difficulty rebooking the Protea on Hotels.com so had a friend in the US book it for me. I checked in settled into my room. Mike, Louise and Mary picked me up for dinner at Dacapo's that evening. Dinner was great. I want to say now that Mike earned his day fees hanging out with me until I left.

The next morning around 1000 hours, Mike and I went to the Teaching Hospital which was one of the places dictated by the government to get a test and a certificate. Total would be 1,000 kwacha or about $50.00. Amazingly, we met a guy in the parking lot who could assist us. The gent helped us fast pass the line for testing which turned out to be a throat swab. On Tuesday afternoon, we returned and met with him in the parking lot. I gave him the money, my name and passport number. He came back an hour or so later with my negative test and certificate. Apparently, they weren't done with my test so he had to get the results and take them to the certificate office.

I made it a point to tip the restaurant staff 20 kwacha each morning with my free breakfast. By Wednesday, I felt like a celebrity when I got off the elevator at the restaurant. It's a small price to pay. Tip your servers.

On Wednesday, Mike picked me up at the Protea and we went to lunch. he then guided me through the Customs, rifle clearance and check-in process. Upon arrival, there was a lady at a desk who inspected my Covid test certificate. I think that many of us who have gone to Africa have noticed how inefficient things can be in how they are done. Thankfully, Mike is well-versed in dealing with it.
I made it to my gate and boarded my flight to Addis Ababa.

Upon arrival at Addis, I looked for a guy waiting at the gate to do the rifle inspection. There was nobody waiting. I immediately Knew this couldn't be good. I attempted to find somebody to get this out of the way, but nobody knew what I was talking about. I then went through two security checkpoints on the way to my gate. You literally go through a checkpoint exactly like the first one to get to the gates leaving for the US. Keep in mind, I only have a 1:35 layover in Addis.

I went to the restroom and when I came out, there was an Airline employee looking for me to clear my rifle. I didn't mean to start speaking in a raised voice. Sorry. With about an hour before take off, we left the secure area. I want to say now that he was a good guy. Sadly, he had no idea where we were supposed to go or what we needed to do. We eventually went downstairs to the bus and then to the dungeon-like baggage area. We located my rifle case and I opened it. We had been joined by another guy who asked for my declaration forms. For the first time, he wanted all three copies. He then stared at the form wanting to know where the serial number was listed. The form does not ask for it. I offered him a copy of my Customs form 4457 which he accepted. I locked up my case and it was given to two guys on a luggage truck who took it high-speed to the plane. The young man and I raced back through two security checkpoints. I was absolutely convinced I was going to miss my flight. The young man told me we were good. I got back to my gate eight minutes prior to departure only to find that my flight was delayed by 32 minutes. I don't know how we got lucky with that. The experience was frustrating and could have been handled much better, by me and the airline.

I then got a WhatsApp from Mike stating that the Zambian government had rescinded the Covid test requirement on 10/23(!). Not surprisingly, they hadn't actually told anybody about this at the airport. The new requirement was to have a fresh Covid test IF your airline required it. Mine theoretically was still good as I was traveling within 14 days of having taken the test.

I boarded my flight for the 7:40 long flight to Dublin. Upon arrival, I don't think anyone got on or off the plane, but we did refuel. We then went 7:30 hours to IAD. I exited the plane, dealt with the mess that is Customs when traveling with a rifle and checked my baggage into United for the flight back to Las Vegas.

I had a none hour layover at IAD. it was raining. Surprisingly, the layover wasn't terrible. I had great thin crust pizza at &Pizza and got coffee from Starbucks before it closed inexplicably at noon. I arrived back in Vegas at about 2045 hours, was met by Erica the dogsitter and went home. I survived.

Great write up, congratulations to all on a very successful Safari

Wow another great sable!! Congrats!

Great hunt, great trophies, great report.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us!

BLXE5937.JPG
IMG_3140.JPG
IMG_3145.JPG
IMG_3187.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG

Thank you for the really great report....it was a pleasure having you come and spend time with us...and thank you for persisting and finally actually getting here after all the ups and downs with flights etc...was a big shame you couldn't have a few days more relaxed with more fishing. ...but with a little bit of luck we managed to get everything in the 5 days ....at least you got to visit the gunshop I use :E Big Grin: we are looking forward to your return some time in the future...possibly with a trip to kingfisher so you can try for tiger fish...thank you again...and Mani we have converted him to gin and tonics :A Thumbs Up::E Big Grin:
Thank you, Mike. It was an honor to hunt and spend time with you. As soon as I got home, I picked up Tonic Water and some Bombay Sapphire. The hunt was extraordinary.

Thank you, Mike. It was an honor to hunt and spend time with you. As soon as I got home, I picked up Tonic Water and some Bombay Sapphire. The hunt was extraordinary.

Thank you....and just having a bombay and tonic right now..... :D Beers:

Dang it- what a trip.

Yeah Mike and his lovely bride tried to get me drunk enough to commit to a trip in Dallas two years back but luckily I was already aware of his alcohol tolerance and was able to slip off before I damaged a kidney. :D Maybe one day I'll get there.

Dang it- what a trip.

Yeah Mike and his lovely bride tried to get me drunk enough to commit to a trip in Dallas two years back but luckily I was already aware of his alcohol tolerance and was able to slip off before I damaged a kidney. :D Maybe one day I'll get there.

Dont wait too long ....and promise not to damage any internal organs.....even if me and louise were just warming up back then for the rest of the nights drinking....:A Banana:.:D Cheers:
Louise just said to say hi to both of you :D Beers:

Last edited:
Awesome - enjoyed the report and all the photos!

@Vanguard2279 @spike.t You guys look you you had an amazing time. I love the write up its like I was with you bro. Every animal taken is an amazing specimen and I must say you have some fine sable for the wall now. Its good that you have now found G+T's. Dont forget there is a wide range of gins out there to have. Between me and Mike we MIGHT just turn you semi British.
Im yet to take a Sable but having seen and read what I just have I think its safe to say I will be hunting Sable with @spike.t and I sure hope @Vanguard2279 comes along for the ride.
By the sounds and looks of it the ongoing buggery that covid had unleashed was all worth the pain.

A super report brother

I really enjoyed reading your report and looking at your photos. I haven’t hunted Zambia since 2006, but I really enjoyed it and still remember what a neat place it was.

I’m glad to see another hunter who appreciates the 4 stable sticks. I won’t go anywhere without them anymore either. When I read your story on warthog, you mentioned about having to pick up the entire sticks to reposition. Possibly give this a try, I hunt a lot with them at home for ground hogs. I’ve gotten very good at shooting them when they stop running just before the tree line on edge of field. I don’t hold the front of the rifle, I hold both front sticks and sling, this lets me pivot on one point for major adjustments and set it back down instead of repositioning the entire sticks.

I really enjoyed reading your report and looking at your photos. I haven’t hunted Zambia since 2006, but I really enjoyed it and still remember what a neat place it was.

I’m glad to see another hunter who appreciates the 4 stable sticks. I won’t go anywhere without them anymore either. When I read your story on warthog, you mentioned about having to pick up the entire sticks to reposition. Possibly give this a try, I hunt a lot with them at home for ground hogs. I’ve gotten very good at shooting them when they stop running just before the tree line on edge of field. I don’t hold the front of the rifle, I hold both front sticks and sling, this lets me pivot on one point for major adjustments and set it back down instead of repositioning the entire sticks.
Thank you. I'll give that a try.

@Vanguard2279 @spike.t You guys look you you had an amazing time. I love the write up its like I was with you bro. Every animal taken is an amazing specimen and I must say you have some fine sable for the wall now. Its good that you have now found G+T's. Dont forget there is a wide range of gins out there to have. Between me and Mike we MIGHT just turn you semi British.
Im yet to take a Sable but having seen and read what I just have I think its safe to say I will be hunting Sable with @spike.t and I sure hope @Vanguard2279 comes along for the ride.
By the sounds and looks of it the ongoing buggery that covid had unleashed was all worth the pain.

A super report brother
That's a great idea. I'll go for a Waterbuck and a Warthog and you chase everything else.

Mikey Rotten.....has a ring to it, a je ne sais quoi even @spike.t .....but having seen you in person a few mornings in Vegas you have resembled Sid on occasion...

@Vanguard2279, congrats on a great hunt, those sable are awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross