KSZWHX

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI. DSC
Had a great trip in SA for plains game with my 300 win mag Mod 70 featherweight. Going back in 2022 for Cape Buffalo in July 2022.
Just purchased a beautiful Mod 70 in 375 H&H . I am just curious to know what is the best bullet to use. I have a box of Hornady dangerous game series in 300 grain that came with my new gun. Zeroed at 100 yds. Would this round suffice for Cape Buff.
Looking forward to input for my first Buff hunt .

Most would recommend 300 gr. Swift A-Frames, Barnes TSX, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, with a good large meplat mono metal or bonded solid as your backups (i.e., Trophy Bonded Sledghammers, Woodleigh Hydros, Barnes Banded Solids etc.).

Most would advise against the Hornady Dangerous Game line. Good for practice though.

Will Hornady DGX work, probably, but the best bullets you can choose for buffalo are going to be Swift A Frames and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Even with DGX bonded it’s not difficult to hear about failures. You’ll have to search a long time to find a Swift A Frame or Trophy Bonded Bear claw that didn’t perform as designed.

While the Hornady
DGX might suffice, I think most folks would recommend a better bullet. Swift A Frames are well thought of. Some of the 350 grain bullets would be even better.

Had a great trip in SA for plains game with my 300 win mag Mod 70 featherweight. Going back in 2022 for Cape Buffalo in July 2022.
Just purchased a beautiful Mod 70 in 375 H&H . I am just curious to know what is the best bullet to use. I have a box of Hornady dangerous game series in 300 grain that came with my new gun. Zeroed at 100 yds. Would this round suffice for Cape Buff.

Do you hand load? Or do you need factory loaded?

As others have said. Hornaday might work but why take the chance. I like the Federal 300 Swift Aframes for all African game.
They are is short supply right now but can be found if you ask around.

Swift Aframes if you can find them. Norma Oryx bullets seem to be around fairly often, I would use those without any concern also.

The Hornady DGX first edition.... NO! The Hornady DGX Bonded... OK. The DGX Bonded will be clearly marked or noted. Otherwise 300 gr A-Frame or TSX or TBBC. Don't cheap out on ammo nor the effort to procure best bullets and ammo. :)

IMG_2725.JPG

Last edited:
@fourfive8 you beat me to it, I couldn't find a picture of the old DGX box. Like most I recommend the swift frames.

The world of bullet selection is deep! I am just starting to study bullet types and their uses for different game. I am an army man so FMJ is what I know haha. PPU used to make 375 H&H FMJs for target practice.

Swift A Frame, Barnes TSX, TBBC, and some people use Woodleigh as well. 300 grain is most people's preference, but some use 350 gr.

I have to go along with most of these folks. First choice would be 300grn A-Frame followed by the Barnes TSX then the TBBC. For solids I have to give my vote to the Woodleigh Hydro solids.

As many have said there's a lot of good choices. If you reload Peregrine Bushmaster in 300 grain work great too, I can vouch for them. At the moment the distributor in the US out of them, but hopefully that will change. Since you are going on a hunt I can help you out with Swift A-Frames bullets if you reload and can't find them. PM me if interested.

Barnes 350gr TSX ahead of 63gr of 4064. One shot kills on buf.

We have used 300 grain swift A-frames, 300-grain Barnes TSX and 300-grain trophy bonded bear claws in the past on buffalo between me and my father. All worked wonderfully and I would not hesitate to use any of these rounds. Swift A frames have been the preferred bullets from my ph's though. (they were fine with the others they just liked that one best)

71EB28C9-ECBB-410D-90C5-9C065852F086.jpeg
C7D78E0E-E047-478D-B2F0-B7B3BB485300.jpeg

Swift AFrame 300 gr 375 H&H recovered from my buffalo. The best !

Well let’s see the gun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg