Why the 30 Caliber Magnums?

Mr Hawks is writing an article to deer hunters. I've regularly killed the little pathetic white tails here in Texas with .218 Bee and .223. No challenge at all for those calibers. Now when we talk about hunting wild African game everything changes. There is no similarity between a deer or elk with similar sized animals in Africa. African animals are tough, evil kind of tough! You need your .300 so that you are prepared for most any plains game scenario. Also .300 win mag is the most popular rifle in Africa from what I have seen. Use your .300, love your .300 then as time passes and the Safaris add up you'll gravitate to the .375 as your go to gun!
Regards,
Philip

The 30-06 was, is and will continue to be a great cartridge. But, sometimes you want just a little more. The why you want a little more is dependent on circumstances, including but not limited to distance, size of the animal, presentation of the animal, wind etc. I do agree with Chuck Hawks analysis to some degree. Certainly all of the 300 magnums suffer from the "Law of Diminishing Returns." A lot more recoil for a little more performance. Those shooters whose perception or opinion of that trade-off is positive will love their 300 Magnums and espouse their use.

For some, the question is why do I need a another / different 300 Magnum? Needing some time to answer that question is why we sipped the cool-aid!

When I started hunting it was a 30-30 that I was handed and I was put where all I could see was within its range.
As I grew I stared to choose where I hunted and found the 30-30 lacking. So I stepped up to 30-06 on my own dime.
And I was happy for many years. I have never owned a 30 magnum but the type of hunting I do does not call for it. In my area it is farm land and wood lots in hills and it is rare to have open shots over 250-300 yards. Now if you are hunting in a area where shots get longer the old 06 can still handle it but there is more room for error elevation and wind drift and also the fact that the target can move at any time. The more speed and flatter trajectory minimize that error and the fact that the magnum can do the short work as well is just a bonus. If you can handle the recoil it is just more of a good thing if not you may cut your effective range in half.
90% of the time we have more than enough gun in hand but it's that 10% when we look at potential shots out there that sells newer bigger guns and optics also. It boils down to that personal choice and terrain. Buy the rifle you want and use it often experience is much better than charts and graphs on paper.
Shawn

Last edited:
The real advantage of the 30 magnums is the same as 308 vs 30-06. You can launch heavier projectiles at higher speed. Mono Metals have narrowed the advantage but not enough and I hate recoil.

my $0.02

I am a recent convert to this group of cartridges. Mostly due to the high praise they received from my PH and some friends a moose camp. But, no sooner have I sipped the Kool-aide then I read this disparagement of 300 magnums

http://www.chuckhawks.com/optimum_30_rifle_cartridge.htm

Ugh, way to harsh my mellow! But seriously, why do guys who like this class of cartridge like it? Is it worth the effort?

HI Pheroze,

In the article, at first I did not know what "CXP2, CXP3 and CXP4" is, neither what "MPBR" were but, from "reading between the lines," I presume the "CXP's" are some classification of animal weight?
And my best guess for "MPBR", means Median Point Blank Range?

Any way, if the Author is referring to deer/impala sized animals, I agree with his opinion that, such cartridges as the .25-06 and .270 "remain completely adequate."
If any hunter cannot bag animals of this size, with a 120 gr through 150 gr bullet from these sub .30 calibers, he or she is not shooting straight and would undoubtedly miss or wound, no matter what caliber they were using.
However, in my personal experiences of hunting with both the .25-06 and .270 Winchester, along with various .30 caliber rifles, has proven to me that, on larger animals, (especially larger AND tougher animals), the smaller bore rounds are definitely not as effective as the .30-06, and .300 magnums, when loaded with 180 grain or heavier bullets.
And of course, cartridges like the 9.3's, .338 and .375 are so much the better yet (in regards to shooting large animals).
Perhaps needless to say, as you go up in the scale of various species' body mass, larger heavier bullets are advised.

Among the faster .30 cartridges, the only dreaded .300 magnum I have shot animals with is the original H&H version (in the USA and Africa both) but it is excellent for what it was designed (long shots on African so called "plains game")
That said, when it's shooting 180 grain spitzers at longer ranges, on larger/tougher species, the somewhat higher velocity not only makes hitting the relatively small vital zone on animals about as easy as it is with such as the .25-06 and .270 class of cartridges but also, having shot animals with both these .25 and .27 caliber cartridges, I promise you that the .300 H&H / 180 grain hits noticeably harder than any loadings I have seen in these two smaller ones mentioned.

.30-06:
I love this one and have hunted with it in the USA and Africa.
When booking for Africa, I generally would prefer a bit more "muscle" than the .30-06 has but truthfully, I've not lost any African animal after shooting quite a few of them with this cartridge.
Here in N. America, especially much of the western parts of this continent, loaded with 150 gr spitzer, the .30-06 is quite excellent for long shots on deer/pronghorn/sheep.
With 220 gr round nose, hunting in typical African thorn forest conditions, it clobbers non-dangerous animals no problem.
Countless moose in Canada and Alaska have been taken easily with this cartridge, using 180 through 220 grainers.
For hunting larger antelopes and zebra, out to about 300 paces, I'd prefer a .338-06 or .35 Whelen or 9.3x62 or lowe and behold the .375 H&H but, the .30-06 seems to be a very good choice for this, from what I have seen.

Former Kruger Park Game Warden, Hannes Swanepoel, has shot very dead more than one or two problem lions with the .30-06 / 220 gr Hornady round nose softs, during his previous career there (now he owns a safari company just outside the park).

Long story short, I would ignore negative opinions of those who say your "normal" .300 magnum is not excellent for what you intend to do with it.
This is not to say I would want anything to do with the super-galactic "ultra-mags", or the .30-338 Weatherby (or even the regular .300 Wby for that matter) as they produce too much snappy recoil for sissies like me.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I am somewhat recoil shy. I liked the 308 NM because it was very similar to the H&H version.

Generally speaking, I believe that at shorter distances the magnum must create a bigger temporary or permanent wound channel than the 06. Also, I have to believe that on the larger plains game you are more likely to get an exit wound.

I am somewhat recoil shy. I liked the 308 NM because it was very similar to the H&H version.

Generally speaking, I believe that at shorter distances the magnum must create a bigger temporary or permanent wound channel than the 06. Also, I have to believe that on the larger plains game you are more likely to get an exit wound.

I could be wrong but it seems that bullet construction, weight and slower but not too slow velocity is what leads to increased penetration. The fast magnums have a reputation for splashing at short range.

My 7mm mag with a 160gr aframe lost 30% at 100yds on a big BWB and the aframe is one tough bullet

Last edited:
it seems like a ridiculous assessment.

I don't want a 30-06. The 300wsm can do everything the 30-06 does better and at longer ranges.

"Use enough gun" as the situation or your abilities require. JMO.

I am a recent convert to this group of cartridges. Mostly due to the high praise they received from my PH and some friends a moose camp. But, no sooner have I sipped the Kool-aide then I read this disparagement of 300 magnums

http://www.chuckhawks.com/optimum_30_rifle_cartridge.htm

Ugh, way to harsh my mellow! But seriously, why do guys who like this class of cartridge like it? Is it worth the effort?

I have a 300 w m in Remington 700 stock and action.
I had the barrel replaced w a 24inch stainless steel and Timney trigger set for 3/4 lb
Unbelievably the 150 and 180 grain bullets shoot to the same east-west but the 180 gn shoots an inch higher
A pure fluke
The 300 is excellent and you have a lot of bullet weights to choose from.
I would totally ignore any criticism and the cartridge is absolutely great.
Many in Australia use such on buffalo.
I believe you have an excellent rifle on the 300 win magnum and suggest any criticism would stem from very light rifles and the recoil.

Reactions: lcq
it seems like a ridiculous assessment.

I don't want a 30-06. The 300wsm can do everything the 30-06 does better and at longer ranges.

I have a 300wsm and you are correct. That said 300wsm ammo is almost non existent in SA. If your luggage is lost you are pooched. 300wm, 30-06, 7x57 or 308 are freely available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a M70 Super grade in 300Win Mag, with the 26" barrel and weighing in at a touch over 10# scoped it may not make a great Safari rifle but what a shooter I zeroed it at 100yds and and got a nice group with 76G of RL22 =3141FPS avg Next week I'll stretch it out to 200
IMG_1445.jpg

I could be wrong but it seems that bullet construction, weight and slower but not too slow velocity is what leads to increased penetration. The fast magnums have a reputation for splashing at short range.

My 7mm mag with a 160gr aframe lost 30% at 100yds on a big BWB and the aframe is one tough bullet

Interesting that you should mention this. When I looked at the magnums I was really looking for something that could push a heavier bullet at a reasonable clip, not too fast but enough to flatten the trajectory of a heavier bullet. But, the 200 gr seems to lose some of the trajectory advantage that is more evident with 180 gr. It's an interesting issue. I have been advised that 180 gr is pretty much ideal. Certainly nothing wrong with 180gr at >3000fps but I am interested to see if I keep it in the 2900 range.

But, 200gr at about 2800 is also a very interesting alternative and won't tax the bullet.

I've never summed up animals nor my cartridge choices by the CPX numbers on a box of Winchester ammunition. Many things come into play such as terrain, expected wind conditions, and shot distance. I agree that the '06 will work in most normal hunting situations on game that it is appropriate for. Until a few days ago the only 30-06 I owned was a M1 Garand, I bought a beautiful little Ruger 77 express rifle in '06, not because I believe it to be an optimum cartridge but it was a rifle that I wanted. Probably will never cut hair with it but that's fine. Dam sure will never slay Jumbo with it. The 7x57 and 303 have also claimed many elephant, regardless if it were even legal these days, I'm reaching for the 470 or 505 to handle the task.
Bloggers tend to write things that piss of the average man, so I tend not to read many of their opinions. As they say an opinion is like a butthole, everyone has one! I have hunted several countries, including South African with a 300 and have experienced nothing but success with one. I prefer a 338 for NA and a 375 for Africa. But that is my opinion, don't let an Internet warrior sway your thinking! The 300 H&H is my favorite 30. I own just about every one that is on the market in 30 cal. But I love the history of the H&H above all of them.

I just purchased a M70 Super grade in 300Win Mag, with the 26" barrel and weighing in at a touch over 10# scoped it may not make a great Safari rifle but what a shooter I zeroed it at 100yds and and got a nice group with 76G of RL22 =3141FPS avg Next week I'll stretch it out to 200View attachment 179453

Perfect PG rifle! What bullet were you using?

Many magazine authors write things for no other purpose than to kick a hornets nest. A 300 Mag has significantly better internal ballistics than the smaller bores such as the 7mm, and until the recent bullet designs in larger diameters, held significant external advantage over the 338 & 375. It held a performance sweet spot. As for construction, the .3" has sufficient diameter to have a .05" jacket and a .2" core, for better tough game performance than possible in smaller bores.

To answer the OP, for me the arguments/criteria are as follows:
1. A 30 cal is something every hunter should own (among other calibres). Because it has the greatest variety in bullet weights, designs and... bullet availability! Maybe not such a big deal in North America but a real issue in darkest Africa.
2. The 30 cal has more punch than the 6.5s and 7s while not generating crazy levels of recoil (30 cal hyper-magnums excluded). So for PG of all sizes, the 30 cal does the business while being manageable (read accurate) for the vast majority of shooters.
3. So why a 300 mag over the 308/30-06? It's about sufficient bullet weight and ballistics. The 308 runs out of puff with a 180gr and the '06 trajectory with a 200 or 220gr has more drop than a Phil Mickelson flop shot (apologies to the non-golfers among our ranks)
4. While the lighter 30 cal bullets have their place, especially the monos, the 300 mags can handle these just as well as the non-mags. But also allow the flexibility to stoke up a heavy bullet too.
5. For general PG usage, the 200gr sits about right for me in a 300 mag - plenty of punch for everything up to and including Eland, decent BC to buck the wind and not drop too much at distance, sufficient velocity for longer range work while not causing catastrophic meat damage if used at short range (with a suitably robust bullet)
6. Variety is the spice of life! The 308s and '06s are a little too commonplace for my preference - I like to use something a little bit 'exotic' for my hunting trips. If I hunted PG for a living, I'd probably get an '06 and shoot 180gr rack ammo...

But, 200gr at about 2800 is also a very interesting alternative and won't tax the bullet.
This is precisely my objective with the H&H - shoot Barnes TSX, A-Frames, Accubonds and Peregrine monos all in 200gr and all in this velocity range.

If I want to shoot something less than my 300wsm I use a 7-08. See no reason for something between those 2 calibers.

For rifles, my battery is:
7-08
300wsm
375ruger. (Just purchased)

I have a 270 bar I bought 27 years ago that I haven't shot in over 15 years. Too heavy. I like that 7-08 over it. Need to sell that rifle.

Regarding the .300 Mags... My only experience with them has been a .300 WSM that I had for a very short time because it was on sale and so I bought it. I think there is a lot of misconceptions about "magnum .30s. Of the people I run into, a large majority think that a .300 Winchester will kill animals deader because there is more powder behind the bullet and the energy figure has gone up correspondingly. Or that they can now hunt bigger animals because they have a "magnum".

This whole line of thinking is demonstrably false. All a .30 magnum will do better than a .30-06, 308, .303, .30-30, etc., is shoot flatter and cause the bullet to expand sufficiently a little further out. This is all provided you can shoot a bullet of sufficient weight. For instance, shooting a 200 grain .308 diameter bullet from a .308W or a .30-30 is going to be a somewhat pointless proposition if you expect it to expand beyond 50 yards. A magnum may extend your maximum shooting range by 50-75 yards or in some extreme instances, as much as 150 yards, though that would be something akin to a .30-378 Weatherby and you would eat through barrels like they were made of marshmallow. Personally, I think getting in close is 99% of the fun, but I can understand the desire when you are paying as much as a car for a sheep hunt and want all the advantages you can get.

I am a firm believer that hitting an animal with a .300 mag at 200 yards is not going to kill it any deader than a .30-06 would have and I think you would find on skinning that the wound trauma was very similar.

This is born out by the testimony that a .400 caliber, 400 grain bullet from any of the .400s, .416s and .423s is more effective than a .375 H&H. a .450-400 might only develop 4,000ft-lbs but it seems to hit with more thump than a .375 H&H at 4,500 ft-lbs because of diameter and bullet weight. If you need to kill something bigger, you need to go up in bullet weight and diamter. NOT push the same small bullet faster.

If I want to shoot something less than my 300wsm I use a 7-08. See no reason for something between those 2 calibers.

For rifles, my battery is:
7-08
300wsm
375ruger. (Just purchased)

+1

my battery is very similar..

7mm WSM
.375 H&H

If I decide to some day go after jumbo (doubtful), I could see me adding another rifle/caliber to the lineup.. but for now there is nothing on the planet I have ever rifle hunted, or that I intend on hunting that cant be taken with one of those rifles..

Ive owned rifles in a variety of other calibers over the years.. .30-06, .243, etc..etc.. but am pretty happy with my current line up and dont see any future changes.. The only exception being I would probably consider swapping the 7mm WSM for a .300 WSM if the right deal/opportunity came along.. I really like the 7mm.. but factory ammo is hard to come by and options are extremely limited..

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.