Why the 30 Caliber Magnums?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Pheroze, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Rem1903a3

Rem1903a3 AH Member

Member of:
    NRA ,CMP

Areaonereal likes this.

2. Rem1903a3

Rem1903a3 AH Member

Member of:
    NRA ,CMP
    I personally went from 300Weatherby mag ,a great cartridge to a 300H&H ,a gentaler ,classic .

Desert Dog and Velo Dog like this.

3. Rem1903a3

Rem1903a3 AH Member

Member of:
    NRA ,CMP
    How did the .270 perform on the Zebra and Kudo ?
    It would be a boring place if we all shot the same cartridges
    I am dieing to use my 6.5x53r and .300H&H.

lcq and Velo Dog like this.

4. Savage Hunter

Savage Hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    my wife killed a Zebra with a 7-08 which is basically the same as the 270.
    Kudu don't seem as tough as most other animals that size, so should be great.

lcq likes this.

5. Desert Dog

Desert Dog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Yep, I went from 300 Win mag, back to 300 H&H a few years ago.

I get the same velocities with the same bullets, but the recoil pulse of the H&H is much more pleasant. Also, the H&H feeds smoother and seems to have much less extreme spread in my loads (probably because the neck is longer than the win mag and give more uniform tension). Loving the quality Nosler brass with the H&H too!

Honesty, I use the 300 mags when I will probably need long shots on big animals (free-range aoudad, sheep, and open country elk come to mind). If that is not likely, my 30-06 is a lighter, shorter, mildly recoiling alternative that shoots the same bullets, has twice the barrel life, and is cheaper to load for.

300 mags definitely have their place and have a history of great results, but they are not always the best tool for the job.

6. Art Lambart II

Art Lambart II AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
    Hunted:
    MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
    The 270 is a fine round but the first shot must be perfect. IMO the 270 is a bit light for follow up shots on larger PG.

Rem1903a3, lcq and Velo Dog like this.

7. Bruce

Bruce AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
    Hunted:
    Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
    Good fatherly advice there....I use the 300win mag for flat trajectory LOOOONG shots in open plains, like Tanzania and parts of South Africa. When bushveld hunting for meat, close range ( 80-150m) I find the meat damage from the 300win mag 180g excessive and prefer my 30-06 or even the trusty 375!!!
    When on 2 x Tanzanian safaris and only allowed to import 2 x rifles.. OF COURSE, I took my 375 H & H AND the 300 win mag.

Alchemist likes this.

8. Southwind

Southwind AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    I own 300 win mag, 300 wsm, and 300 h&h so I certainly don't agree. Like some others have noted these writers make a living with conjecture and controversy. Although he can make this argument based off the parameters he used it doesn't tell the whole story does it? I have never had an animal register a complaint about being dispatched by a 30 cal magnum.

9. Rem1903a3

Rem1903a3 AH Member

Member of:
    NRA ,CMP
    What he said , I take the opinions of. Those that have done over the opinions of those that have wrote.I don't know Mr Hawks history but I do know PH I have contacted recommend 300 mags for African plains game .

10. Rem1903a3

Rem1903a3 AH Member

Member of:
    NRA ,CMP
    Make mine the purple passion H&H ,with ice please

11. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    You can get that 3050 with 200 grain bullet with a good handload.I doubt if a factory load in 300 mag gets much over 2800.

12. Bart

Bart AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KNJV
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Poland, Germany, Belgium, Holland
    I own a Blaser R93 in 300 win mag. It has been taken to SA 10 times, first 2 hunts were with a 308. It has been equipped with a Nightforce NSX scope which is virtually indestructible. Since I live in Holland, i 'm not used to walk in mountain terrain, and the rifle has been dropped a few times, without any damage and without rezeroing. I shoot a light Bullet, a 168 grain Barnes TTSX. Bullets are reloaded with Vithavuori N550 58.5 grain. For me this my ultimate Africa gun, it shoots every antilope in any size. (Kudu, eland, blue wildebeast). Over 110 animals hunted in Africa with it. I love my 300 win mag.

Rock375 and Rem1903a3 like this.

13. Milehighshooter

Milehighshooter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    The big difference, in my opinion, between most of the 30s, is really distance. A 300 Wby still shoots the same bullet as a 308, but what the 308 will do at 100 yards the Wby will do at 400. 30-06 vs 300 Win is pretty much a matter of 150 yards. Now saying that, yes the biggies will hit much harder at equal distances.

I think what Chuck Hawks is getting at, is that the vast majority of American hunters, do not need the extra power. Most of the American hunting, is for whitetail, and under 300 yards, probably closer to under 200 yards. Want and need are very different things, if they weren't, I wouldn't own 30 rifles lol. How often will your average deer Hunter in Georgia make trips to Colorado or Montana, let alone Alaska or Africa? I'd bet almost never.

Rem1903a3 and lwaters like this.

14. Buckdog

Buckdog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    300 winnies love rl22 and h1000 and fed lg rifle match primers, try it you will like it:D

lwaters likes this.

15. Buckdog

Buckdog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    sorry for the error fed lg rifle magnum primers match grade are excellent

16. ArmyVet

ArmyVet AH Member

Member of:
    SCI
    I love my .300Win Mag Sendero. I can put two rounds at 100ms side by side so they fit inside a quarter. Now I won't shoot more than 20 rounds at a time as it will bruise my shoulder. Just love the round. Used a loaner 300 and a 30-06 in SA last summer. Both stopped animals in their tracks.

17. DHH45

DHH45 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA , SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia , mozambique

18. DHH45

DHH45 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA , SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia , mozambique
    • I shoot a 300 weatherby and the 300 Rum.
    • Mostly the Weatherby since the late 70's all over the USA, Canada and two years ago in Namibia. The 180 gr. In my ultra light are not fun. The 168gr Barnes TTX is the best round for me and extremely accurate.

19. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    Practical advantages of 30 mags are lost on a lot of hunters, maybe even most of them. I expect that this does not include most people posting here, but shooting at 400 yards isn't just doubling what you're doing at 200 yards. Little mechanical/technique mistakes probably won't show up at 200, but boy do they ever start showing up at 300 and further - "booger flicking," bad cheek weld, breathing, etc.

Hawks' audience mostly isn't guys who go to Africa, guys who put in the time and expense of being good shooters. Most deer hunting in the US is done east of the Mississippi River (15 states east of the MS River annually sell 300K licenses or more, only 4 states west of the MS sell 300K or more). Sure, there are lots of pastures and cutovers and so forth where a long shot might be possible, but mostly the shots are under 200 yards. These guys are spending extra money and thumping their shoulders for no appreciable benefit. And if the hunting conditions don't demand competency at 300+, it's a sure thing they aren't practicing at 300+, either.

Hunters in general are the exception any more, and this group, here on this board, is exceptional even among hunters. So considering who Hawks' audience is, I don't find his remarks even a little controversial, let alone offensive or ignorant.

the whole 30 cal family can be summed up as "jack of all trades, master of none." There isn't anything in the world wrong with that, either.

flat8, ChrisG and Abeln like this.

20. Abeln

Abeln AH Veteran

Damn sgt_zim...

That is a fairly deep analysis of ol' Chuckhawks there!

Perspective.

sgt_zim likes this.