Why avoid Hornady DG bullets and ammunition?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Paul Edwards, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    And by the way guys, the totally deformed DGS I posted earlier. That was from a lion too. A dead one, eventually. Not a buffalo shoulder or an elephant brain. A thin skinned lion.

So if dead is all you care about and you're so close minded that you won't listen to other evidence or be willing to learn something that might save your life or the life of someone else then I can't think of a better bullet for you than the DGX.

Fire away!

johnnyblues and ActionBob like this.

2. sheephunterab

sheephunterab AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
    Bullet proof lions? Really?

3. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    phil i never thought about what bullet it was back then as was more concerned about reinhard and must have missed it if it was put on, but that puts this whole "whether to use these bullets or not" question into perspective, and into the total not classification........

ActionBob and Royal27 like this.

4. spike.t

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    you had a good friend chewed by a lion and nearly killed?.....maybe wind your neck in a bit if you dont mind!

ActionBob, Abeln, Wheels and 3 others like this.

5. sheephunterab

sheephunterab AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
    Common sense and physics says if a lion barley flinches with a shoulder shot at close range with a big bore that something else went horribly wrong beside bullet performance....seriously guys...think about it! Hit them with a marshmallow at that range at 2600 fps and you'd get more than a flinch. Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of common sense as stories grow! Bullet deflection. Poor angle hit and glanced off. Sure. Square on shoulder...seriously...think about it!

6. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Well, there is the video and recovered bullet evidence that can speak for itself.
    I believe @gizmo also has some fairly compelling first hand evidence regarding Hornady bullet performance on a lion as well...

johnnyblues, ActionBob and gizmo like this.

7. spike.t

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    the story hasnt grown its what happened.....reinhard, jaco and jacques are good mates of mine and i havent got a clue what the fk you are on about with this comment....am off this thread as will probably be banned if i get more pissed off!

ActionBob, Hank2211, gizmo and 4 others like this.

8. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    Hello Iwaters,

What the Taxidermist mentioned to you is why I do not use any sort of hollow point hunting bullet.

That includes the ones with a plastic doodad in the hole as well.

However that being said, I agree with others that the DGX bullet is not as tough as it could be.

The Swift A-Frame gets my vote as the most reliable yet very tough expanding bullet.

Now I will stand by to receive some knots on my head.

Cheers,
    Velo Dog.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

9. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    So you've seen the video to make that statement?

10. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Yes I do and DGS/DGX is garbage.

johnnyblues and ActionBob like this.

11. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Hornady at this point must have a form letter they email out justifying how their crap is great and somehow after checking their lot numbers we the shooters have done something wrong. It pisses me off to no extent. You, I, and a whole shit ton of others have been, "the only ones with that problem and we've never heard of that happening".

12. sheephunterab

sheephunterab AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    There's one insurgent in Iraq that may argue that point.....if he could!

Mel3777 likes this.

13. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    Velo Dog, I can't agree with you about the plastic doodad. Depends on the bullet. Having disagreed with you, I can whole-heartedly agree with you about the Swift A-Frame. I have had great success with the A-Frame on the toughest game (where I wasn't using a solid), and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

There are some cartridges we can't get in Canada (at least not easily) - such as the Peregrine and the North Fork. Having said that, Barnes VOR-TX, Swift A-Frame and Federal TBBC have served me very well on tough game. They get the job done, without drama. The Hornadys just haven't for me, and I wouldn't use them where I need to rely on my ammo for my safety or the safety of those around me.

14. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Uh ya, it was my lion. Royal has seen the video as well as many others on here. It took 7 rounds all of which were excellent shot placement to finally kill it. Damn near got eaten because of the crappy DGX/DGS performance. The picture he showed of the solid was either the 6 or 7 shot as the last two were solids. I know because I pulled the cartridges apart to confirm the bullet type. DGX performance was even worse on my Cape Buffalo though I admittedly pulled the shot a bit. Even still I've wondered for the last two years had I been shooting a better bullet if the results would have been better despite my poor shot placement on my buff. At the end of the day I will say that the buff debacle was my fault however while I got it done on the lion it very well could have ended in someone getting hurt or worse due to poor bullet performance.

ActionBob, Desert Dog and Royal27 like this.

15. Desert Dog

Desert Dog AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    And multitudes more insurgents in Iraq that would argue that .22 caliber ball ammo gets the job done.....if they could. What are you getting at????

ActionBob likes this.

16. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    common sense also dictates that is one wasn't there or has no first hand knowledge of something it's often best to remain quite on the subject.

Royal27, ActionBob and Desert Dog like this.

17. Art Lambart II

Art Lambart II AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
    Hunted:
    MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
    I really don't think comparing the DGX to a Barnes, A-Frame or a Northfork is a fair comparison, IMO they are all better bullets than the DGX. What we should compare the DGX to is the Nosler Partition, the DGX preforms just like the NP, so ask yourself this question, if you show up for a Buff hunt with your 416 Rigby and 400 grain NP what PH would tell you "I'm sorry sir your NP is not adequate for this hunt". I believe the Barnes, A-Frame and the Northfork are much better bullets then the DGX or the NP. Today most DG hunters only consider the NP for leopard and lion hunts but 40 years ago they wold have used the NP for everything.

SETH RINGER likes this.

18. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)

Redleg said it earlier, but its absolutely a fair comparison as they are expected to do the same job in these cases. Totally agree that there is "no comparison" and that all listed, and some others, are far superior. As long as people put DGX/DGS in the "premium" category this is the correct comparison. DGX isn't compared to NP as people generally don't include them as true "premium" anymore.

Hornady simply markets their bullet as something it isn't, and people buy the hype.

Doubt this happens much, if at all, with any bullet. That doesn't mean it shouldn't. PHs take some calculated risks because that's the business they have chosen to be in. It doesn't men I should purposely add to that risk, even in a small way.

Hank2211 likes this.

19. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    I've also seen both videos, know all the men involved and would not hesitate to be backed up in any dangerous situation by Jacques or Erik. They are upstanding and professional individuals and both can very obviously shoot exceedingly well and do so under heavy pressure, intense situations. I have no doubt that Jacques saved Reinhard's life.

cagkt3, Velo Dog, gizmo and 2 others like this.

20. sheephunterab

sheephunterab AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    A lot of you seem to be missing the point...I was never calling the skill or grit of anyone into question but just saying that simple physics says something happened. It could have been as simple as the bullet striking a branch. We always want to blame bullet failure when things go wrong but experience says there's usually another answer.

Mel3777 likes this.