Who did it better?

Dennis did it better, no question his work it outstanding. That steenbok BillC posted is pretty good to. Who did that BillC?

I looked at Dennis's website, instead of studying like I should be, and was surprised that many of his non-full mount prices are similar to what I'd found across the pond. Certainly something I'll consider when I make my next trip.

And that video was painful to watch! I didn't make it to the end

I think its a bit unfair to compare the 2, they are different mounts and the one has allot better picture taken than the other one, but if i had to chose i would like the second mount.

Bill, honestly....do you not see how you contradicted yourself? You said the thread was about TCI vs Dennis and then go on to say it's all of Africa vs Dennis.

Yes the thread has dennis in it but I saw it as not just about him but about taxidermy work. Showing bad work for some place in Zim is how all should be judge now. How me saying you can get good work for SA if you look is attacking dennis I am not sure. Better yet why the world stops spinning when I post something about it is something I have not figured out. I stayed off the post till once again it was not about just saying which one was better and turned into all work in Africa is bad and you don't save money by doing it over there.

When dennis posts I stay off them as I am not here to put his stuff down. He comes at me for having a say on what I think and then he will throw out some I am a troll or un American. You go back and look at who likes to start taking the cheap shots with what they type.

I tell people what I have found out by what I have done. I have saved money with how I did things. I will tell people who ask that they will not save if they only do 5 or 6 animals. The breaking point on saving is normally around 8 animals depending on what they are. I also tell them that the work here in the states is better but you can get good work out of SA also. Each person has to do the math then decide if it works for them. I am not going bash either because I like one way better when the person picking can decide that.

Even knowing I saved by what I paid I was still told I did not or it was not as much as I think. I am told dennis was right is was only 20% saving. Happens to be 20% on my last order was over close to 8000 in saving.The worse thing on here is guys saying the saving you may get is not worth it. They don't say not worth it for them normally they make a general statement. When saving 100 or 1000 maybe worth it to some else. More then myself feels like this most just don't want to get in to what normally happens when you say something different on here. Myself I don't care if I think what I say may help someone else down the line.

Now that someone ask I will do my shameless plug and tell Victor the picture I posted was a mount done by RELIVE taxidermy in the east cape. Also to make it clear Paul smith is the owner but he did not mount it himself his staff did the work.

Well I will be done with this thread as it is only getting worse by me having my say. Carry on and enjoy your day everyone

Well I will be done with this thread as it is only getting worse by me having my say.

Because your say had nothing to do with the OP. You jumped to a conclusion this was about all African taxidermy. In response to that, you then find the need to go on the defense as if the thread was an insult of you and your taxidermy.

If you would've read thru the thread you'd know the animal at TCI is @rookhawk's. He isn't pleased with the work and used a pic from Dennis' work to compare it to. But now once again you've managed your plug of Relive. Some might start to get the impression you're shilling.

It's actually pretty easy to do a search on google for Steenbuck taxidermy images. And, many of those that return are much better than what @rookhawk received. So, regardless of who you compare it to, what he received was not of high quality in my opinion.

It's actually pretty easy to do a search on google for Steenbuck taxidermy images. And, many of those that return are much better than what @rookhawk received. So, regardless of who you compare it to, what he received was not of high quality in my opinion.

And by most opinions, TCI is the finest taxidermy in Zimbabwe. It certainly was expensive and the brochure examples looked nice, at did the buffalo they were working on when I visited their studio in Bulawayo.

Since I thought my taxidermy was very poor, I decided to post it on AH for others to see. As you'll note from the correspondence, TCI did not wish to give me a partial refund and was satisfied with their work. I want people to know, everyone to know, they find this work acceptable representations of their craft.

I then compared their work to another taxidermist of equal cost so there can be some comparison.

It's just information in the end.

Let's face it you simply can't compare quality anywhere in Africa to Dennis or my guy Wes. Prices ......not that's a DIFFERNT story. If it's only cost then have your stuff done there. Pretty much sums it up IMO.

lady with fan.jpg

So how much would you guys pay for this?

Valued currently at $106,000,000 USD.

It's art and it always in the eye of the beholder.
Any of you guys about to part with the green to acquire this piece?

And by most opinions, TCI is the finest taxidermy in Zimbabwe. It certainly was expensive and the brochure examples looked nice, at did the buffalo they were working on when I visited their studio in Bulawayo.

Since I thought my taxidermy was very poor, I decided to post it on AH for others to see. As you'll note from the correspondence, TCI did not wish to give me a partial refund and was satisfied with their work. I want people to know, everyone to know, they find this work acceptable representations of their craft.

I then compared their work to another taxidermist of equal cost so there can be some comparison.

If your animal is indicative of their normal work, I'd find it hard to believe that TCI is considered amongst the finest in Africa. My first taxidermy was done with LifeForm, and it's actually quite good from what i can observe. Nothing like that poor steenbok of yours. Albeit, with LifeForm you will not save anything and likely end up paying more in the end.

View attachment 176354

So how much would you guys pay for this?

Valued currently at $106,000,000 USD.

It's art and it always in the eye of the beholder.
Any of you guys about to part with the green to acquire this piece?

More like always in the eye of the BEER-holder! :D

If that is the work of the best taxidermist in Zim I'd hate to see what the average work is like!!

No comparison. Dennis' is much better.

One thing that can't be seen readily is the quality of the tan which is the foundation of a good mount. Will the African tan hold up in 20-30 years?

A couple more examples of TCI work.

It would be nice if the leather for wallets was cut to the appropriate length so that it would be flat and not wrinkle/warp. Also notice the unfinished edges. These look nothing like the samples they have in their showroom.

IMG_0140.JPG

It would be nice if the wallets were squared off instead of sewn at odd angles. These won't be given to the relatives they were intended for.

IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG

This is an example of the elephant wallet I carry. It lays flat, is stitched well and just shows quality. Not made by TCI.

IMG_0143.JPG

Should the inside lining of belts be spliced, instead of using one continuous piece?

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

I decided that I wanted to paint the elephant ears myself. I received four panels. This is the closest to looking like an elephant ear of the four. The others are torn and don't come close to looking like ears. Looks like this one ripped open along the Niger River. Holes where the skin was probably hooked to deflesh or tan. This won't be going up on the wall.

IMG_0147.JPG

Can't speak for others, but this is the type of quality I received from TCI.

@rookhawk Good thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another excellent example of the ol "bait an switch".
What's available to see and judge quality/competency is/can be VERY different from what one receives.

Dennis.

I'm backing my choice up with my dollars as I sent Dennis an e-mail earlier this evening as I want him to mount my trophies from my first safari this June.

@billc - I'm just a newbie on this site but your dislike of Dennis and his work is more than a bit much. Your posts about your dislikes of Dennis have been stated over and over and over again. We get your point, you don't have to pile on seemingly every post that involves Dennis. To tell you the truth, I never even gave the safari company you represent a thought, due to your posts.

Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvividconsultant

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross