Which Buffalo Would You shoot?

Either would be fine!
 
I ran across this dude in Kenya - they still grow some nice ones.

DSC_3632.JPG
 
On the first days of the safari? I’d probably try and see if we can do older.
On the last days of the safari? The left one does look older, but would need the PH to clear him. Alone I would not be sure enough he is old enough.
 
As a hunter who has not harvested a proper duggaboy yet and I had one tag to fill I would pass on both but that left one will be good later on in his life.

As a hunter who will go to Africa once to tick the box the left one will do.

These two below would not even waiver a wonder of questions if I need to squeeze that trigger.

Deon Frontal Buffel A0 Voorbeeld.JPG
Head Brain Shot.jpg


Thank you @DWB for that nice pic of the above one it must be my favorite.
 
As a hunter who has not harvested a proper duggaboy yet and I had one tag to fill I would pass on both but that left one will be good later on in his life.

As a hunter who will go to Africa once to tick the box the left one will do.

These two below would not even waiver a wonder of questions if I need to squeeze that trigger.

View attachment 616047View attachment 616046

Thank you @DWB for that nice pic of the above one it must be my favorite.
These are my kind of buffalo!
 
These are my kind of buffalo!

Unfortunately difficult to find, especially if you book the classic 7 to 10 days buffalo hunts.

You have to shoot buffaloes like that on the pictures more often. See the various posts that clearly reflect what is being shot. Old beaten up dagga boys are not so common and often pure coincidence in the open areas. If you are aiming for a particular trophy, you will have to invest more time that one week or ten days.
 
I like the one on the left, but I would listen to my PH first. He is the expert.
 
Left for sure
 
I like the curl of the right one. Which ever one my PH recommends would the one. My first Buffalo hunt will be next June. I plan on talking to my PH about my expectations and listening to his experience.
 
Neither of them, both far too young. Everything that has beautiful horns tips with wide, long curves and where you can see a gap between the horns is suspicious.
I kinda thought so too. Especially the right one. I would rather cull a cow than shoot a soft boss bull. I have been perfectly happy coming home without shooting a buffalo. We hunted four different days and had some amazing stalks in thick cover getting very close but rarely seeing them. At one point the herd came running right at us, accidentally I think. I could have taken a running shot as the herd went by about 35 yards but I'm not that stupid. Too crowded. Nevertheless, it was very exciting. Lots of fun and it only cost the daily fee. What's not to like?
 
Lots of good posts and clearly listen to your PH’s input. Ultimately it’s you the hunters decision on which one to shoot.
Also the gap between horns in not always and indicator of age or trophy quality.
Look at the 2 photos Frederick posted. Both are clearly of age and absolutely trophies!

Here is a bull I shot in Tanzania with Michel Mantheakis:
Image1719324072.881838.jpg


The age was estimated at 13 years and he still has a gap.

HH
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,571,820
Members
169,419
Latest member
CassieBend
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top