Which Buffalo Would You shoot?

....and then I found this.

Thread 'Judging Cape Buffalo' https://www.africahunting.com/threads/judging-cape-buffalo.378/

Before I go on any hunt, I like to read as much as possible about that particular species, as well as what is best for that animal from a long term conservation perspective. This thread changed my view entirely, and I want to say thank you to Jerome, the founder of this Forum for posting to this old thread. This is what makes this forum such a wonderful resource for all of us.
 
If I have to choose, left one, looks older to me, and I like the drop.
 
On the first days of the safari? I’d probably try and see if we can do older.
On the last days of the safari? The left one does look older, but would need the PH to clear him. Alone I would not be sure enough he is old enough.
I think they're both young bulls.
 
Lots of good posts and clearly listen to your PH’s input. Ultimately it’s you the hunters decision on which one to shoot.
Also the gap between horns in not always and indicator of age or trophy quality.
Look at the 2 photos Frederick posted. Both are clearly of age and absolutely trophies!

Here is a bull I shot in Tanzania with Michel Mantheakis:
View attachment 616085

The age was estimated at 13 years and he still has a gap.

Agreed, gap isn't the whole equation. That is a great bull - congratulations!
 
On the first days of the safari? I’d probably try and see if we can do older.
On the last days of the safari? The left one does look older, but would need the PH to clear him. Alone I would not be sure enough he is old enough.
You must go on some really good safaris. LOL
 
Left one for sure....
 
Both bulls are awesome specimens but I would shoot neither and hold out for a very old bull and hope that I would find an ancient scrum cap warrior. I suspect both of these bulls are still breading and I would like to shoot post breading bulls. When my son and I hunt buffalo this year in Zim our goal will be to find the oldest buffalos we can regardless of the inches they measure, in fact we hope we can find at least one scrum cap.
 
The one on the left, but the one on the right would do in a pinch.

Both are magnificent specimens.
 
Lets face the facts if everyone was lucky enough to shoot bulls 13years plus there would be a small amount of buffalo shot each year.

Now, this is the kicker buffalo hunting is addictive so I say this try and get the oldest everytime you go and if you do find one marginal and it looks good take it. (I'm not talking about young wide soft boss bulls but at least 7 years plus) It just gives you a reason for more buffalo hunting.

For me I'm still saving to be able to take a big duggaboy trophy in the meantime I will hunt cows or young management bulls and be among them. This year I was not lucky enough to be after them hunting but next year for sure.
 
Neither. Both would be a pass for me.
 
100% on the left!
 
40177f3f-5748-471e-a45e-5522887c24c8.jpeg

Two for one any one:whistle:
 
I think both are a bit on the younger side as others have stated. That being said, contestant on the left in a New York second. I'd sooner shoot him then one that looked like he had 24 hours to live due to old age and a bad case of hungry lions disease.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,077
Members
169,488
Latest member
SharynPico
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top