Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Johan van der Walt

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Hi Everyone, I am looking to purchase a .375 and am considering either the CZ550 American or the Winchester M70 Safari Express. I'd like some views on these two rifles. I already own a 550 and am quite happy with it but the Winchester looks really nice as well. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I have never shot the Safari express but do have 2 model 70's in 375 H&H. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or two, I'm very happy with them.

You will get a lot of response to your question. I'm a big fan of the Model 70 and had the 375 H&H Safari Express along with a 300 winmag and a pre-64 30-06. (I sold the 375 to a friend for a hunt in Africa we are both doing next year. I have a 375 double rifle and a 416 Rigby bolt rifle, so the Model 70 wasn't getting used.) I practiced with the Model 70 Safari Express a lot before buying my double and ended up taking the double and the 300 winmag as my two rifle battery for two trips to SA. You will love the Safari Express. I can't speak to the CZ other than I see reports that it has been discontinued, so if you want one, better be quick.

Unless you plan on spending $2000 and up, M70 Winchester.

And unless you live way way out, you can have it in your hands in a couple of days, and hunt with it a day later.

both the M70 and the CZ 550 are great , personally I prefer the CZ 550 with a few upgrades but as far as an out of the box rifle goes the M70 is the best you can get .

I'm another M70 fan. I have a very accurate one that has not seen a gunsmith yet for anything. It's been fantastic right out of the box. CZ's seem to be a fine rifle too but often require work out of the box.

The Sako could have a ejection problem. Some do, some dont.
One of mine did.

I have a Win 70 Safari Express 375HH and it is my go to rig for whatever I hunt. Perfect right out of the box, no adjustments or work on anything. Feed, extract, eject smooth as silk and flawless and likes anything I stuff into it. I have a CZ550 and it's a good gun but no comparison to the Win 70,

My .375 is a CZ 550, 6+1..... can be helpful, if things go south......!

HWL

I have a Win 70 Safari Express 375HH and it is my go to rig for whatever I hunt. Perfect right out of the box, no adjustments or work on anything. Feed, extract, eject smooth as silk and flawless and likes anything I stuff into it. I have a CZ550 and it's a good gun but no comparison to the Win 70,

Thank you - is there any reason you dont like the 550? Like I said I have one and it is very accurate and a working gun like people say. But I have hear from many people that it needs work where the model 70 doesn't. The only reason I am considering a 550 now is the fact that they may be discontinued... otherwise I might have made the decision differently. I do however want a gun that is quality and shoots well out of the box.

If you are not doing DG, why not consider a Ruger Tropical No1? Very elegant and robust. Or really go to town and get a double.

both the M70 and the CZ 550 are great , personally I prefer the CZ 550 with a few upgrades but as far as an out of the box rifle goes the M70 is the best you can get .

Is it still available though?

Yes, the 375 H&H version is still manufactured, or was a year ago.

Thank you - is there any reason you dont like the 550? Like I said I have one and it is very accurate and a working gun like people say. But I have hear from many people that it needs work where the model 70 doesn't. The only reason I am considering a 550 now is the fact that they may be discontinued... otherwise I might have made the decision differently. I do however want a gun that is quality and shoots well out of the box.

I like my CZ 550. It's not as smooth as my Win but is a real robust heavy built gun. Accuracy is good once I found the load it likes with 250 and 286 grain bullets. I can't speak to new ones because I bought this one used and it has had some work done. I wouldn't hesitate recommending a 550 to anyone looking for a working gun. They are built to last and availability makes them very desirable especially in 375HH. If you find one, grab it quick.

I have a Safari Express in 416Rem and it is a decent rifle. While not quite as polished as my Blaser it feeds reliably and shoots straight. For the calibre it’s a little too light for my liking. Trigger is decent if a little heavy. Mind you this is the only Winchester rifle I’ve ever handled so my experience is limited but overall I’m quite satisfied with it. I did not intend to buy it but once I handled it it kinda followed me home ;-)

I'm a fan of the CZ...but that's me.
My 375H&H ended up costing me a bit over $3K when it was all done.
I had AHR do a #2 upgrade and added a Leupold 1.5-5x20 scope.
It was DG ready and not a full on custom build or a custom price.

The M70 Winchester is a fine rifle and will serve you well.
I believe the double square bridge of the CZ is worth the trouble.

If you want to stay with CRF rifles another option is the Kimber Caprivi.
A little more refined than the M70, but along the same lines.
Yes, the price is a bit higher as well.

Lastly, there's always the Blaser R8:A Stirring:

You should feel each rifle before you buy them.
See what really feels good to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.