Where to Start???

Like all have said you couldn't have picked a better place to start your journey. Lots of good advice so far. Start making that list of what you would like to hunt and go from there. Good luck and enjoy the journey

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH! First of all you are in the very beginning stages of planning your first safari. You don’t really know what you want to do or what to expect and that’s ok!
Read as much as you can and then pick say 3 animals you’d like to hunt and start there. You must have a budget as that will determine what you can do.
Let me know what I can do to help in this fun process.
Philip

Welcome bud! You came to right place. Take your time, do methodological. Step by step... all aforementioned is good intel.

Good advice from all above. Enjoy the process. You have plenty of time and a lot can change in 5 years, especially in Africa! So continue to do research, until you have it figured out. I have talked to many people at sportsman’s shows (clients) who can give you first hand info. I would suggest not putting $ on the line until 1-2 years before going due to the many uncertainties. Just my thoughts.

Welcome to the family and the forum Hilarion, you are in the right place!

So I want to plan my first African Safari and have no idea where to start??? I believe I want to hunt South Africa, but how does one really decide which country, PG, outfitter ect?

Side Note: I'm planning an anniversary hunt in 5 years for my wife and I, just getting a head start and enjoying the "dreaming part."

I've hunted all over North America chasing deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, bear, and picking the areas were easy because you just go where the animals live! But in Africa, it seems (for the most part, specifically PG and Cape Buffalo) all the animals are everywhere.

I've been reading your site day and night (really enjoying it by the way) and honestly, I feel like i'm just running in circles. I know this is going to be very opinionated on "where to hunt" but I can already tell this is going to be a heck of a lot harder to figure out than what i've been doing so far in my hunting career.

Again, this is a ton of fun reading and planning (in my head) and i'm only 32 y/o and will hopefully make plenty of trips over to Africa because all of your stories make me want to go wherever you experienced guys go.

Am I the only one that starts out like this?

Dear Hilarion Bibicoff

Welcome to this great Forum and hunting community. All eager to share their stories and make recommendations and provide advise. This whole process is easy to get overwhelming, which bring you back to square 1: running and thinking in circles.

Have you been considering to attend the DSC (Dallas Safari Club) convention 17 - 20 January 2019, to attend the Seminar TIPS FOR TRIPS TO AFRICA. They share information so YOU do not have to reinvent the wheel.

We invite you to view our packages reflected on our website.

Enjoy the planning process which is a FUN part of your safari.

We wish for you happy hunting and straight shooting...

Greetings from Namibia, Africa.

So I want to plan my first African Safari and have no idea where to start??? I believe I want to hunt South Africa, but how does one really decide which country, PG, outfitter ect?

Side Note: I'm planning an anniversary hunt in 5 years for my wife and I, just getting a head start and enjoying the "dreaming part."

I've hunted all over North America chasing deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, bear, and picking the areas were easy because you just go where the animals live! But in Africa, it seems (for the most part, specifically PG and Cape Buffalo) all the animals are everywhere.

I've been reading your site day and night (really enjoying it by the way) and honestly, I feel like i'm just running in circles. I know this is going to be very opinionated on "where to hunt" but I can already tell this is going to be a heck of a lot harder to figure out than what i've been doing so far in my hunting career.

Again, this is a ton of fun reading and planning (in my head) and i'm only 32 y/o and will hopefully make plenty of trips over to Africa because all of your stories make me want to go wherever you experienced guys go.

Am I the only one that starts out like this?
Welcome to the forum - no doubt the best place for gathering first hand information. You are definitely not the only one who start out like this and you have enough time to really enjoy the 'dreaming and planning' phase. At this stage it would be advisable to narrow your trophies down. And NO, not all animals are everywhere in Namibia. If you prefer hunting animals in their natural habitat, consider FREE RANGE offers. North Western Namibia is home to Kudu, Oryx, Mountain Zebra, Warthog, Sprinkbok, Damara Dik-Dik and more in abundance. We will gladly assist in planning your perfect anniversary experience in Africa!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg