Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life, DSC, NRA Life, WSF Life
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe.
For my next safari I am considering a buffalo hunt, or a sable hunt. Depending on budget, I may be relegated to a 2nd PG safari. If this is the case, I would want it to be in an area where Lion roar, and Cape buffalo and elephants are present if possible. (I am trying to get another to join me and I think this would be the only way.)

So where to go? High fences would be right out for this other individual. I know the Save and Bubye(Lemco) have perimeter fences but I believe would fulfill these requirements to the best of my knowledge, as long as we stayed near the interior. Most DG areas do not have generous PG quota's so this is a conundrum for me. I know the old PG one place, and photo safari in Kruger idea, but to get the old stick in the mud to go, it just would not work that way.

The animal he is most interested in is Kudu. I have a list a mile long, so would probably do fine no matter what was present.
Any ideas guys?

Mozambique? Zim? Any place specific in SA? I think these three are my best bet, but pro's/con's, specific places would help.

I am willing to hear offers from agents/outfitters but please be aware I/we would not be making a quick decision and most likely this would be a 2013 or even 2014 hunt. I know I am fighting an uphill battle just getting them signed on, so am trying to be armed with as much info as possible before I even bring it up with him.

If anyone knows of father/(adult)son deals that fit this description, please fill me in.

I know there are some in South Africa with great PG hunting. If you are willing to forego the Lion and be happy with the remainder of the big 5 then the Mkuzi game reserve with Gary Kelley would be a great choice. He is very well respected and it is pure wilderness with plenty of Ele, Rhino, Buffalo and whatnot. Not to mention GIANT Nyala (I am talking 30"+ regularly! It is his specialty there.)

Plains game Safaris : Garry Kelly Safaris

Good Luck

One outfit that has always fascinated me is Wild Africa in Tanzania, particularly their combination of mountain buffalo hunting on Mount Loosimingor and PG below. Once I get the necessary schekels together, that may just be a dream destination. Check their website:
Welcome to Wild Africa
Good hunting!

I would look at Zimbabwe. I have looked at the same stuff, since DG is a bit more expensie. But a lot of the more famous operators have PG rates around 600-650. Like CM safaris:
Charlton McCallum Safaris, CM Safaris - Rates and Fees for Zimbabwe Hunting Safari Tours and Trips, Hunting Big Game Trophies, elephant, leopard, lion, buffalo, sable in Dande Safari Area, and Makuti Zimbabwe, Africa.
I would have no problem going with them to any kind of hunt. I have also seen other operators with even cheaper PG prices within DG areas. The thing is that you can hunt for so much cheaper in other countries for PG, but i really understand you to go into the wild:)
Timbear: If price is an issue Tanzania sadly is never an option:(

Serapa Safaris | Experience the luxury of the African dream

I hunted here in 2010, there is a variety of PG, including sable and lechwe, plus lions, leopard, buffaloes and rhinos.

You may also try Mkuze Falls Private Game Reserve, also in RSA, with Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino, Hippo, Crocodile, Lion, Leopard. A bit pricey but an unforgettable experience.

Thank you for these recommendations. I am keeping my options open right now. Bad news out of Zimbabwe and the save conservancy has me worried my options just shrank.

What bad news? Please share.

VonJager I'll send you a PM on a special that I'm going to list on AH in a few days for some friends don't know about any Elephants but you can hear the lions at night while sitting at the fire with a cold Castle Lager. Buffalo, Sable and Roan can be had at a great price.

What bad news? Please share.

Zimbabwe starts reclaiming land seized from white farmers
Zimbabwe has started repossessing underutilised pieces of land from beneficiaries of its controversial land reforms that started over a decade ago.

President Robert Mugabe justified the violent land grabs from white commercial farmers by saying it was meant to correct colonial imbalances.

etc, etc, etc.

Hello VonJager,

If you want to hunt in the wild and share the bush with elephant, buffalo, lion, hippo and leopard, with nice tented camps, I suggest Tanzania, in the Selous game reserve ( cape buffalo, sable, greater kudu, nyasaland gnu, east african eland, common and bohor reedbuck, zebra, lichtenstein hartebeest, warthog, impala...) or Massailand ( cape buffalo, greater kudu, lesser kudu, gerenuk, fringed eared oryx, coke hartebeest, grant gazelle, dik dik, paterson eland....). This is a 3 weeks hunt with one of the finest company in Tanzania.
please feel free to send me a PM.
Best
Christophe

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
One outfit that has always fascinated me is Wild Africa in Tanzania, particularly their combination of mountain buffalo hunting on Mount Loosimingor and PG below. Once I get the necessary schekels together, that may just be a dream destination. Check their website:
Welcome to Wild Africa
Good hunting!

Rainer Josch has a wonderful DVD out about hunting on Loosimingor called "Mountain Buffalo" (from Safari Press). Instead of the usual bodycount videos, it is built around just three hunts for buffalo and is beautifully filmed. It may be the best hunting video ever done.

Gorgeous L Kudu Christophe...

Mokore's area in Mozambique would be a great place to experience plains game safari among lions and elephant.

Coutada Nine has some great plains game including some monster kudu, great eland, and sable. The sable are good, not as big as Matetsi area, but nice. Some of the small guys like oribi are available, as are bushbuck, reedbuck, and some monster warthogs.

It is a tented camp, a wild remote area, and you will see and hear lion. We heard elephant but avoided them. There are some buffalo also. The Duckworth's are great to deal with.

KuduI.jpg

ElandI.jpg

OribiI.jpg

LionIII.jpg

I would also consider Mokore Safaris outfit in Mozambique. They have a lot of plains game in this area and it is definitely the Africa of old.
Zimbabwe areas to consider would be the Omay, Matetsi, or the Bubye and the Save,(pending outcome of the current situation there).
I would not make a final decision until you have decided on the game you are looking for. It is important to decide the trophies you want and the order of preference and research areas from there.
The order of preference may greatly change if your focus shifts to dangerous game first and plains game second.

It sounds like you have done some research on the Save Conservancy, I hunted there in May of 2010 and had no problems either getting in or out or while I was there. It is about a million acres and I hunted on about 100,000 acres of it. The big 5 are all there. We heard lions roar nightly from camp and saw elephants daily, often having to move around or through them while hunting! I would suggest that you include a buffalo on your list as it will be hard to find a more reasonable priced hunt for buffalo......and as long as you are paying dangerous game daily rates you might as well include leopard. Also my skins and heads arrived back in the states in 4 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross