What would be your Dream Hunt!??

Back in the day when I could carry a 50 pound pack and run up and down mountains I would have chosen a Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska. Now that would be to strenuous for me so I'd settle for retracing Teddy Roosevelts route through Africa without all of the present day borders and regulations.

Lord Derby Eland followed by Bongo, Giant Forest Hog and Forest Duiker
Sounds like Central African Republic would be perfect! Makes me sad that currently the country is too unstable and many violent conflicts within the country to be able to hunt.

If I remember correctly, when I was visiting Museum of Natural History in London, there were few of African animals exhibits. There was a notice, that exhibits are in poor shape, because they are old, and they will not collect new ones, because they are against (trophy?) hunting.
Or something like that.

BTW - dream hunt for me?
At this moment I could think of, buffalo!

Only because tags are so hard to get, I would choose a full North American big game ( including gator and turkey) and waterfowl, hunt consisting all species and sub species, adding in some time for trout, walleye and salmon fishing.

My dream hunt?

That's easy. To make a dream hunt possible I would select every guy here who has a real sense of humor, isnt full of himself, understands that an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure and doesn't spew horse apples out his chops everytime he swills a few water glasses of who whupped Johnny.

As far as what we was gunning for would be the least of my concern.

i'm curious if you were given big sums of money and could afford any hunt but only one hunt, what would that ultimate hunt be?

so that's that's question to my fellow AH members, what would be your dream hunt ???

I was asked quite a similar question at DSC a few years ago. My answer then was "To go again as soon as possible with the folks I have been going to".

Now after Covid 19 has it all screwed up..... " Just to go again soon as possible".

If I only get one, and it's unlimited funds, then I'd go for the around-the-world, never-ending, big game, multi-species experience

(My wife’s reaction as I explain my new itinerary)
C89F19A2-3B2E-4EDA-B028-D63045498FD2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Mike. You’re pretty much looking at the Yukon or Alaska for grizzly, my friend. BC’s grizzly hunting has been shut down due to political pressure from uneducated citiots.

Yes unfortunately that is true. But this is a dream hunt and they are trying to get it opened back up again.

Yes unfortunately that is true. But this is a dream hunt and they are trying to get it opened back up again.
I belive in northern British Columbia outfitters like backcountry bc and beyond still offering grizzlie hunts but it's called a "meat hunt" so other than the meat it's illegal to keep any "trophies" no skull, no hide. What a stupid law who is going to hunt a grizzly for meat!! I'm not into catching Trichinellosis from eating a grizzly.

If I ever pull together the big bucks for this hunt, Buzz at CM and Mark at Chifuti are at the top of my list.

I may be wrong, but I think Chifuti may have lost their DG concession. We hunted with CM in 2019 in their Dande concession. Len Taylor was our PH. Absolutely awesome hunt.

For me it would be hard to decide between brown bear, alaskan / Yukon moose, or truly wild aoudad. While the cheapest by far, I think I would go with aoudad soley for taxidermy space purposes

Mine would be at least a month, hunting Elephant, Buffalo, and Leopard, with a variety of plains game including Eland to fill in the time and effort. I'd want to do some bird shooting, some fishing too. Zimbabwe? or Tanzania? I almost had a shorter Elephant / Buffalo hunt booked in Zimbabwe when Covid hit, so it might still happen, but later.

East Pakistan in the 60s would have been fun to see how it was,with all the fine events and the visiting people who came there. Deer s, boar, Bear, Gaur, Leopard and Royal Bengal Tiger, aswell as Wildfowl of many kind and other small game. Some good fishing also, being on a yacht in the rivers to evade those huge striped fishing cats . 3 or 4 weeks would be many fine experences that few other destinarion could top .

The 12 bore 3 inch shotgun, a Paradox would solve many issues.

Or drilling 12 bore and 7x65R

The big rifle, a Mauser or a modified M70 in .458 .

With modified, i would have contacted stockmaker Bredvold to look into bedding and reinforce the stock.

Or if i had seen an ad for a American firm called McMillan,i would sendt them an order.

I think then medium rifle would be a M70 in .338 Win, thick barrel, ART scope and McM stock on both of them.

If I had as time machine.Dutch east indies in the 1920,s . Bought a couple of antique hunting books ( in Dutch). Would have been a blast.

In this day and age, anything wild and with the a minimum of 4 of the big 5 :cool: hunted...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg