Reaction score
Website
jkosafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
PHASA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Burkina Faso, Zambia, Spain, Uganda, Greenland, Cameroon
Good day fellow members,

I hope everyone is doing well with what is going on in the world right now. I am not sure if there is a similar thread to this one I am starting now. If there is please forgive me as I could not find it on the forum.

This is question that has been on my mind for so long and I have been trying to do some research into it as well.

What exactly does the majority of hunters find the most important when they start researching and booking their safaris to Africa or in fact any other country.

I know and do understand that there are so many different aspects that needs to be taken in consideration when booking different safaris to different countries but surely there is certain important boxes that needs to be ticked on any hunters safari research journey.

I would like to hear first hand from you guys here on AH, what you feel is the most important factors in your opinion?

Is it price?
Is it size of hunting areas?
Is it accomodation?
Is it about extra services offered by the outfitter?
Is it quality of the trophies the outfitter has constantly been producing?
Is it personal service and exclusivity of the outfitter / area?

What is the most important aspect of the safari to you as a hunter when it comes down to choosing your outfitter?

Thank you very much for the opportunity and I am looking forward on discussing this into further detail.

To add some color to the post I thought I would add this special picture with my son and 2 sable we took earlier this year. One bull was 45.5" and the other just over 46".

IMG_2712.jpg

All my best,

Jacques

Jacques,

For me there are always a couple of factors, and I'll try to narrow down the top few in my book.

1)Price is important, but not the most important. I would certainly rather pay more knowing there is quality, area, vetted PH, and many other factors. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

2) Area and size of huntable properties

3) Hunter references - this is one of the most important for me. Making sure everything is on the up and up

The others you mentioned are all factors also. As long as I have decent accommodations, I am fine. I have stayed in basic all the way up to 5 star. Again, as long as snakes and spiders aren't crawling on me at night I'm fine lol.

By the way awesome sable buddy!

Jacques,

For me there are always a couple of factors, and I'll try to narrow down the top few in my book.

1)Price is important, but not the most important. I would certainly rather pay more knowing there is quality, area, vetted PH, and many other factors. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

2) Area and size of huntable properties

3) Hunter references - this is one of the most important for me. Making sure everything is on the up and up

The others you mentioned are all factors also. As long as I have decent accommodations, I am fine. I have stayed in basic all the way up to 5 star. Again, as long as snakes and spiders aren't crawling on me at night I'm fine lol.

By the way awesome sable buddy!

Thank you for your reply and comment on the sable.

I personally think that as an outfitter we should always offer our clients the best value for their money does not matter what safari the hunter is interested in. As you say it may not always be the lowest price but if the quality of the trophies and areas are top notch and the client receive more than what he paid for I believe it is a great deal both ways.

Main criteria is "Value". I don't like to be part of a large group in camp so I know that I may have to pay more for that. I like to know that I am hunting larger diverse areas and am willing to travel between areas. I usually have my better half with me so would need things for her to do although she enjoys tagging along most of the time. We also like to take side trips to see the country, I will book extra days to do this. Quality of animals is also up there but I am not a head hunter although I have been lucky a few times, also don't like add ons for shooting larger animals.
Just my 2 cents worth

Main criteria is "Value". I don't like to be part of a large group in camp so I know that I may have to pay more for that. I like to know that I am hunting larger diverse areas and am willing to travel between areas. I usually have my better half with me so would need things for her to do although she enjoys tagging along most of the time. We also like to take side trips to see the country, I will book extra days to do this. Quality of animals is also up there but I am not a head hunter although I have been lucky a few times, also don't like add ons for shooting larger animals.
Just my 2 cents worth

Thank you sir and a lot of valuable information in what you said. Personally I also am not a fan of hunting camps that filled to the brim. I am always wondering if personal / exclusive service is to value to a client and if they are willing to pay a little bit more to have it on their safari?

Just my 2 cents worth

This would be my exact answer also.

See Jacques, I do answer you :ROFLMAO:

I would like to hear first hand from you guys here on AH, what you feel is the most important factors in your opinion?

Is it price?
Is it size of hunting areas?
Is it accommodation?
Is it about extra services offered by the outfitter?
Is it quality of the trophies the outfitter has constantly been producing?
Is it personal service and exclusivity of the outfitter / area?

What is the most important aspect of the safari to you as a hunter when it comes down to choosing your outfitter?

Here are the things I look at:

Game that I am looking for is available.
Quality of trophies coupled with the size of the hunting area
Reputation of the outfitter and chemistry
Price

Accommodation beyond the basics is important only if I am with a female for the duration as women seem to be more picky (e.g. no bucket showers) ;) .

This would be my exact answer also.

See Jacques, I do answer you :ROFLMAO:

Haha I see that my friend and it is appreciated! Now I owe you 2 beers :D Beers: when we see each other again!

Here are the things I look at:

Game that I am looking for is available.
Quality of trophies coupled with the size of the hunting area
Reputation of the outfitter and chemistry
Price

Accommodation beyond the basics is important only if I am with a female for the duration as women seem to be more picky (e.g. no bucket showers) ;) .

lol those bucket showers water can get cool quite quickly in the winter time! Appreciate your comment sir.

Does any special offers or additional perks that sweeten the deal affect a hunters choice on the outfitter?

One thing in regards to criteria is that it differs from country to country.

For RSA game farms I would expect the full resort experience as that is what is being marketed with hunting being just an added part of it.

For free range countries what I said before goes.

One thing in regards to criteria is that it differs from country to country.

For RSA game farms I would expect the full resort experience as that is what is being marketed with hunting being just an added part of it.

For free range countries what I said before goes.

True sir but when you book a hunt in the Timbavati in South Africa you will stay in a tented camp like in any other country in Africa and to me that is great as it offer you a great experience with the Big 5 roaming through camp as they wish.

Hunting in the Timbavati is in the higher price bracket as well!

Would agree with the other posters-value is most important to me, BUT I wouldn’t buy a hunt at auction or expo just because of the price. I look for what it offers that is something “special.” Animals I really want to hunt or someplace I want to visit badly. Maybe an offer I can share with my hunting buddy, wife etc. Maybe just to hunt with a certain ph or in a special place.

I've been to Africa 5 times and hunted with 8 outfitters in 3 countries. So I have a lot of the common plains game animals. If I'm going to hunt one I already have then I usually want to upgrade the trophy. Or the experience. For example my first Sable was in RSA and although we went to several properties the hunt for the animal I killed wasn't quite what I had hoped. Next Sable was in Zambia with Spike and Patsy. Whole different (and way better) experience.
I prefer to hunt larger properties for the most part. I like eating the game we kill. I want a good bed and shower and and animal noises at night instead of city traffic.
Usually to determine an outfitter I'm going to decide on the most important animals to me on my list. Then determine country. Then look for deals/special offers/cancellation hunts with outfitters I feel that I can trust. If no deals are available then I'll base my decision in large part from hunt reports here and on the other network.
Bruce

I have not hunted Africa..yet. I hope to be able to someday.

The things that I would consider in order of importance....

1.) The outfitters reputation

2.) The quality of the hunting properties/ concessions, including size and area to be hunted.

3.) The value of the hunt package, and the ability to have a fun and enjoyable hunt.

4.) The quality and comfort of the lodge or camp. Type of meals served, and amenities, etc.

The overall price is not always a determining factor in anything I do. I would rather pay a little more for something if I know that the reputation of the entity providing the goods or services is top notch.

Quality game is important, but I don't need to hunt for inches. To me, having an enjoyable hunt across the board is the most important thing.

The folks that have already commented have pretty well nailed it. I'll give it my 2 cents worth and hopefully add something to the conversation.
1. Price - I am not a wealthy person so I am not going to hunt central Africa as much as I would like to. I am going to have to stick with SA, Namibia, maybe Botswana and Zim. In other words, I am not going to be able to pay $20,000 for a buffalo hunt, but I may (and have) paid $12500. Trophy fees will play a part in my decision.
2. References - I want to know that the outfit is a reputable outfit with good guides and hunting areas. I want the guide to be easy to spend time with, someone who knows the area and wildlife and is good at relating his knowledge.
3. General experience - I want to feel like I am actually hunting, in an area large enough that it is unrestricted by fences. I am not offended by some fencing, but if you drive for a mile in any direction and hit a fence this place is not for me. I am looking for as wild an experience as I can get.
4. Food and accommodation - The food should be tasty and interesting and include the game we are hunting or at least samples of that species. For accommodation I want a comfortable bed and somewhere comfortable to sit. Some privacy would be a good thing for everyone (my wife tells me I snore, but I don't believe her) and hot water would be good however if the hunt was a tent type hunt, a sponge bath once in a while would be adequate.
So there you go. I guess I am trying to get the most bang for my buck, as much of the African experience as I can get for the money. I like hunting certain game, and although I want decent, representative trophies, the overall experience is the most important thing.

I lean towards cpr0312 ‘s response. As I haven’t yet won the lottery, cost is somewhat of a concern and thus eliminate countries like Zambia and Tanzania.
After that I look at available game, size and topography of the area and game quality and density. I’m not a “record book” guy but want a little above average or better trophies.
Method of hunting, food, PH’s, staff, vehicles, services and type of accommodations.
I’m a firm advocate of contacting references. In fact this is make or break for me. I ask for references from the last two years. I have a long checklist questions I ask and make sure they all validate each other.
Also, if possible I like to talk to the outfitter and if possible the PH to determine a comfort level of whether I want to spend two weeks with them.
Great sables by the way.

As a bowhunter, I look for the following criteria in selection of an outfitter:

1. Does the outfitter understand bowhunting and is set up for bowhunting. If an outfitter can't get within 20 yds or less of game- the outfitter is not properly set up for bowhunting.
2. Availability of desired animals to hunt
3. Property size

There are not a lot of outfitters set up for "bowhunting", so within the bowhunting network, the good outfitters are pretty well known. Food and lodging, good equipment, good staff automatically fall into place. Hence, I don't do a lot of background, reference checking. I pretty much have a handle on the prevailing rates of daily fees, trophy fees, transportation, etc.

This all leads to the last criteria:
4. Available openings, when I want to hunt.

Jacques

Is it price? No, usually one gets what they pay for but value is a consideration.
Is it size of hunting areas? Yes, the larger the better.
Is it accomodation? Yes but am turned off by deluxe accommodations.
Is it about extra services offered by the outfitter? No, I'm there just to hunt.
Is it personal service and exclusivity of the outfitter / area? If paying full daily rate, Yes.

Personal references from someone who has hunted with the outfitter multiple times with a particular PH. Also, how long has the PH been hunting with the outfitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,