Thank you sir and a lot of valuable information in what you said. Personally I also am not a fan of hunting camps that filled to the brim. I am always wondering if personal / exclusive service is to value to a client and if they are willing to pay a little bit more to have it on their safari?
Don't think I would like a crowded camp...

For the newbies reading this thread, for God's sake, don't make a decision solely on an outfitter's website.

When you go if it's your first trip don't get wrapped up in shooting everything that walks by.Also ask for reference from different outfitters.my partner and I have hunted their several times and we both always wanted the same ph.because I think it makes a difference.

Sharing a camp with other groups is kind of a double edged sword. If the other hunters are good dudes, it would be fine.
If one of the other hunters is a jerk, it could ruin the hunt for everyone, and make it a sour experience.

I guess I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a more personalized experience, or at least having that option available.

Last edited:
Sharing a camp with other groups is kind and of a double edged sword. If the other hunters are good dudes, it would be fine.
If one of the other hunters is a jerk, it could ruin the hunt for everyone, and make it a sour experience.

I guess I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a more personalized experience, or at least having that option available.

Double edged sword is a good description. Shared a camp with a father son duo and had a lot of laughs. Shared a camp with two guys who polished off eight bottles of wine the first day of arrival, thought they were hot shit with their Blasers and Swarovskis and couldn't hit shit.
Ugh, except for dinners, stayed away from them.

Two main points;

- good reviews/hunting references ( Google is your friend)
- a swift and polite answer on emails or when to expect a detailed response. The latter on all the points that are mentioned regarding the preferences what I would like for that specific hunt (e.g. area size, animal availability, etc.)

I guess those guys went beyond the "in moderation" policy of liquor consumption
Double edged sword is a good description. Shared a camp with a father son duo and had a lot of laughs. Shared a camp with two guys who polished off eight bottles of wine the first day of arrival, thought they were hot shit with their Blasers and Swarovskis and couldn't hit shit.
Ugh, except for dinners, stayed away from them.

Good day fellow members,

I hope everyone is doing well with what is going on in the world right now. I am not sure if there is a similar thread to this one I am starting now. If there is please forgive me as I could not find it on the forum.

This is question that has been on my mind for so long and I have been trying to do some research into it as well.

What exactly does the majority of hunters find the most important when they start researching and booking their safaris to Africa or in fact any other country.

I know and do understand that there are so many different aspects that needs to be taken in consideration when booking different safaris to different countries but surely there is certain important boxes that needs to be ticked on any hunters safari research journey.

I would like to hear first hand from you guys here on AH, what you feel is the most important factors in your opinion?

Is it price?
Is it size of hunting areas?
Is it accomodation?
Is it about extra services offered by the outfitter?
Is it quality of the trophies the outfitter has constantly been producing?
Is it personal service and exclusivity of the outfitter / area?

What is the most important aspect of the safari to you as a hunter when it comes down to choosing your outfitter?

Thank you very much for the opportunity and I am looking forward on discussing this into further detail.

To add some color to the post I thought I would add this special picture with my son and 2 sable we took earlier this year. One bull was 45.5" and the other just over 46".

View attachment 353982

All my best,

Jacques
Interesting question and interesting answers from the respondents. Outfitter reputation is important, and for a guy in my circumstances (retired university prof), price has to be a consideration, though maybe not the main one. When I go back for my third trip, I'd like to hunt in a large area with the big 5 around camp. That could be in RSA (I hunted in the area around the Timbavati and was very pleased to hear lions almost every night), or it could be in an unfenced concession in another country (the camp in Zimbabwe was wonderful for the same reasons). And I guess right up there near the top in importance would be a companionable PH. I can get along with almost anybody, but if a hunt with the blow-hard egomaniac featured in the piece on "How I Know Everything About Double Rifles and Let's Go to War" were offered absolutely free, I'd turn it down.

Jacques,

The questions you are asking leads me to think you are talking about market differentiation and how best should an outfitter promote themselves. When I found AH seven years ago and started posting, the community was smaller and the outfitters that were present participated much more than they do now. During this time, I was able to learn outfitters/PH's personalities by what they posted and how they interacted with others in the forum. That is how I got to know you, and a significant reason as to why I have hunted with you.

That interaction between outfitters and potential hunters seems to have gone away, with outfitters only posting on hunting special threads they have started. As I look at the New Posts front page, I see a number of threads that outfitters have started. If I discount the hunt deals and the self promotion threads, (nothing at all wrong with those threads), I come up with three outfitters that have threads that are an outreach to potential hunters, or at least a hi, I would like to communicate with you in a non-pressured way, without blinking neon lights. Three threads like this seem to be the most I remember in quite awhile.

1. Nathan is doing a "zoom" on leopard hunting. He has done other "zooms" previously. By the way, this outreach by Nathan is the best and most original marketing effort I have seen done on AH. Nathan is providing a service and promoting himself and his brand in an outreach to help hunters. Perhaps I am wrong but I would envision that he gets some good clients out of this effort.

2. Marius has started a thread on the conventions for next year. Again, a good outreach and way to participate and let potential hunters know who he is.

3. This thread by you.

It doesn't even take outfitters starting threads, just jumping into an existing thread and providing good solid information periodically lets new or marginally active members know who an outfitter is so in three years when they are going on that hunt, the outfitter that participates makes the short list.

There are a number of outfitters on AH that I do not know. They pay their money, post a few specials and wait for hunters to book. They don't participate in conversations so I don't get to know them. When I make a list of outfitters for a hunt will I consider them? Of course not. I wonder why they pay to be a member. ie: I was looking for a free-range buff hunt in 2019. In December of 2018 I pm'd an outfitter here on AH. I got no response until about March of 2020. Evidently he had time to look at his account here after 16 months. Did I hunt with him? Absolutely not.

I would encourage all outfitters that are paying to be a sponsor to jump into conversations and let yourself become known. Share some of your wisdom with those of us that are trying to learn. Otherwise you are just pissing money down the drain.

Now if this was not what you are asking, please disregard my post as the rantings of an old fart who is sliding down the hill of senility. :D

Great photo with your son and two majestic sables!(y)

The most important criteria is face to face interaction. This year when I wanted to do a Leopard/Buffalo hunt I had a list of outfitters based on the criteria I posted earlier. Even though the one I picked was my favorite due to past interactions I still wanted to meet with a few others, and I did. If nothing else it validated my original leanings.

That is why, in my opinion, DSC and SCI shows are very important. Both for the outfitter and also for the clients. I know it is an expense for the outfitters, but if someone does not have the resources to make it to the shows then they might not have the resources to conduct a satisfactory hunt either.

The most important criteria is face to face interaction. This year when I wanted to do a Leopard/Buffalo hunt I had a list of outfitters based on the criteria I posted earlier. Even though the one I picked was my favorite due to past interactions I still wanted to meet with a few others, and I did. If nothing else it validated my original leanings.

That is why, in my opinion, DSC and SCI shows are very important. Both for the outfitter and also for the clients. I know it is an expense for the outfitters, but if someone does not have the resources to make it to the shows then they might not have the resources to conduct a satisfactory hunt either.

It was great meeting you in person sir... ;)

I have only been on two trips to Africa so I'm not as experienced as a lot of the guys on here, but would agree on nearly all of the above points. I enjoyed both of my trips very much...first Namibia, second Eastern Cape.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I missed it) was the number of hunting days. If I am paying for a 10-day hunt, I fully expect that to be 10 days of hunting...not 8 days hunting and 2 days pick up and drop off. If that is a particular outfitter's practice, that's fine. But I'll keep looking for another. On my trip to the Eastern Cape, the pick up and drop off days were free PLUS we went out hunting the afternoon that we arrived at the lodge and no extra expense was added to the bill. Now that is not something that I expect, but I guarantee that helped to make me a loyal client to him.

Hope everything works out for you after this Covid-19 nightmare is over. Looks like you have a fantastic outfit!!!

Jacques,

The questions you are asking leads me to think you are talking about market differentiation and how best should an outfitter promote themselves. When I found AH seven years ago and started posting, the community was smaller and the outfitters that were present participated much more than they do now. During this time, I was able to learn outfitters/PH's personalities by what they posted and how they interacted with others in the forum. That is how I got to know you, and a significant reason as to why I have hunted with you.

That interaction between outfitters and potential hunters seems to have gone away, with outfitters only posting on hunting special threads they have started. As I look at the New Posts front page, I see a number of threads that outfitters have started. If I discount the hunt deals and the self promotion threads, (nothing at all wrong with those threads), I come up with three outfitters that have threads that are an outreach to potential hunters, or at least a hi, I would like to communicate with you in a non-pressured way, without blinking neon lights. Three threads like this seem to be the most I remember in quite awhile.

1. Nathan is doing a "zoom" on leopard hunting. He has done other "zooms" previously. By the way, this outreach by Nathan is the best and most original marketing effort I have seen done on AH. Nathan is providing a service and promoting himself and his brand in an outreach to help hunters. Perhaps I am wrong but I would envision that he gets some good clients out of this effort.

2. Marius has started a thread on the conventions for next year. Again, a good outreach and way to participate and let potential hunters know who he is.

3. This thread by you.

It doesn't even take outfitters starting threads, just jumping into an existing thread and providing good solid information periodically lets new or marginally active members know who an outfitter is so in three years when they are going on that hunt, the outfitter that participates makes the short list.

There are a number of outfitters on AH that I do not know. They pay their money, post a few specials and wait for hunters to book. They don't participate in conversations so I don't get to know them. When I make a list of outfitters for a hunt will I consider them? Of course not. I wonder why they pay to be a member. ie: I was looking for a free-range buff hunt in 2019. In December of 2018 I pm'd an outfitter here on AH. I got no response until about March of 2020. Evidently he had time to look at his account here after 16 months. Did I hunt with him? Absolutely not.

I would encourage all outfitters that are paying to be a sponsor to jump into conversations and let yourself become known. Share some of your wisdom with those of us that are trying to learn. Otherwise you are just pissing money down the drain.

Now if this was not what you are asking, please disregard my post as the rantings of an old fart who is sliding down the hill of senility. :D

Great photo with your son and two majestic sables!(y)

Thank you for your reply my friend and it is all true what you have said in here.... I had the idea of Zoom as well but Nathan won me on that section which is not a problem at all as we have been in touch to see how we can work something out as I do not want to take over / replicate a great way of marketing he started. I feel it is profesional to rather try and work together than against each other in our industry.

I completely agree with you on most of the points you made and as you know I do believe in not just pushing sales everyday by trying to beat the next guys pricing. To me I do not want to sacrifice the quality of my safaris, the experience I offer clients and my proper areas just to be lowest priced package on AH. I am obviously working on some deals due to COvid that I will offer to the hunters for 2021 but I will still not be the lowest priced outfitter.

The questions I asked and the reason I started this thread is to find out more about what hunters are looking for in today's era as there is so many crazy deals and offers out there and it is hard for me as an outfitter to distinguish, is it just the best priced package or is it all the important things that has always mattered.... In my case if all the answers came down to only the price tag of a safari I would change my areas and look for cheaper hunting areas so I could supply the demand in the industry but I know for a fact the these cheaper areas will NEVER be able to offer my hunters the experience they would have had on my current large and proper areas.

When we met on AH the community was much smaller in outfitter numbers and hunters which made it easier to reach everyone yes, now it will take double the amount of time to reach everyone but this is so much fun to be a part of this community as we all help each other with information and guidance throughout.

I am so grateful for everyone that posted on this thread as it is more than what I could have asked for and it does answer a lot of the questions I have been pondering on for so long. Kian my son still talk about the buffalo and 2 sable we took on this hunt. So privileged to have him join me on some safaris.

Don't think I would like a crowded camp...

It is not always easy to keep certain camps exclusively for a whole safari as our peak hunting season is limited. I have learned with past experience that it is better to try and offer exclusivity and personalised service. When I was a part of a different company I sometimes booked too many people at once and it has had backlash on me so I am now completely against double bookings in the same camp. Worst case scenario hunts might overlap with a evening or 2 at the most now.

I guess those guys went beyond the "in moderation" policy of liquor consumption

That "in moderation" line always move around depending on how much the outfitter / PH is enjoying it with the clients or not... lol

For the newbies reading this thread, for God's sake, don't make a decision solely on an outfitter's website.

Very good advise sir! Websites can be very deceiving and it is always easy to build a flashy website. Have a comfortable nice lodge on the website, when you get to your hunting area you have a shower bucket and a out house and your hunt is in the middle of July.... o_O

I have only been on two trips to Africa so I'm not as experienced as a lot of the guys on here, but would agree on nearly all of the above points. I enjoyed both of my trips very much...first Namibia, second Eastern Cape.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I missed it) was the number of hunting days. If I am paying for a 10-day hunt, I fully expect that to be 10 days of hunting...not 8 days hunting and 2 days pick up and drop off. If that is a particular outfitter's practice, that's fine. But I'll keep looking for another. On my trip to the Eastern Cape, the pick up and drop off days were free PLUS we went out hunting the afternoon that we arrived at the lodge and no extra expense was added to the bill. Now that is not something that I expect, but I guarantee that helped to make me a loyal client to him.

Hope everything works out for you after this Covid-19 nightmare is over. Looks like you have a fantastic outfit!!!

Thank you sir and that is a very valid point. Personally I have never charged my clients for the arrival / departure day and as you say we usually hunt that after noon or the morning before we head back to the airport. I feel that charging for that one afternoon / morning is almost the same as saying everything is included in the daily rate but you have to pay for alcohol! :Nailbiting: If you as an outfitter have enough hunters to loose a friend and client because of a couple of hours extra hunting, few litres of diesel and 6 castle lights you are not suppose to even have clients! haha

I agree with you on the hunting days and have learned that people want to know how many full hunting days they have. It is real important part that a lot of people look over. I particularly like to add more days as my areas are larger and you will not be able to always hunt 12 high quality animals in just 4 or 5 days. It has been done before but with some luck. Usually hunting larger areas you will need more time if you are looking for proper trophies.

I appreciate your reply on this thread!

It is not always easy to keep certain camps exclusively for a whole safari as our peak hunting season is limited. I have learned with past experience that it is better to try and offer exclusivity and personalised service. When I was a part of a different company I sometimes booked too many people at once and it has had backlash on me so I am now completely against double bookings in the same camp. Worst case scenario hunts might overlap with a evening or 2 at the most now.

Is/Was this something unique to RSA camps and hunts? Going back to hunts with my dad in my teens in the 70s and now myself in countries outside of RSA I have never shared a camp with people I did not know.

Now, in the USA yeah bear and elk hunts there were others in the camp.

Is/Was this something unique to RSA camps and hunts? Going back to hunts with my dad in my teens in the 70s and now myself in countries outside of RSA I have never shared a camp with people I did not know.

Now, in the USA yeah bear and elk hunts there were others in the camp.

Some outfitters book too many groups at the same time and house them all in their lodge which has a capacity of 17 to 20 people. So it is different groups of people and sometimes even from different countries. A lot of times it will be operations that is chasing higher volumes of clients which usually is on the lower end of the pricing range. They have to push through higher volumes to make their $$. I personally have no desire to run a operation like that myself. I almost did at one stage and it was the biggest mistake I could make, what matters most to me now is that my hunters have a excellent experience, hunt big trophies and come back to hunt with me again in any of my other destinations!

Is it price?
I am very fortunate to have the resources to not have to worry so much about price. That is not to say that I will book with someone who is clearly ripping me off, but it does mean that I will certainly pay more if I see it adding value.

Is it size of hunting areas?

If possible, I would prefer to hunt free range. I will hunt fenced if necessary, but the concession would have to be substantial in size.

Is it accommodation?

I am not fond of roughing it and my wife does not hunt, so I would only book with an outfitter who has "luxury" accommodations. If the camp is not near any attractions, then there should be areas in camp for non-hunters to spend their time. As far as food/drink is concerned, eating the animals being hunted is a necessity. Fine dining should also incorporate traditional flavors and be adaptable to guest preferences. It would also be a real treat if the outfitter stocked alcohol to my liking, as well as more local offerings.

Is it about extra services offered by the outfitter?

Not quite sure what you mean by extra services, but may I suggest extra experiences to gain greater exposure to the people and culture of the country. I have had a lifelong obsession with African hunting, so getting to experience all that Africa has to offer would make it that much more special.

Is it quality of the trophies the outfitter has constantly been producing?

Frankly, this is not much of a concern of mine as long as the trophies are at least representative of the animal. However, just because taking record trophies does not matter to me, does not mean I want a pH who pressures me to shoot the first animal I see.

Is it personal service and exclusivity of the outfitter / area?

While I do not have a problem with sharing a camp, the last thing I want is to have my lifelong dream of hunting Africa ruined by a particularly onerous guest. At the very least, it should feel like the camp can accommodate more people than are actually booked. I need to be able to not see other people unless I want to. I would also be willing to pay extra for an individual camp experience. Regardless of if there are other guests, service should always be as personal as possible.

Price, hunting area, trophies all factor in, but I think that will just help to narrow down your choices. I’m surprised to not see more discussion on the PH/outfitter. My best hunts have really been because myself and PH got along well and were enthusiastic about hunting. I notice some PHs value the camp experience more than the hunting. I want to hunt with a PH that’s eager to hunt, is flexible, stays out late or starts early if we need to. A beer at the end of the day is just a bonus. A PH/outfitter that’s excited about hunting and properly manages his areas stands out to me.

Thank you for your reply my friend and it is all true what you have said in here.... I had the idea of Zoom as well but Nathan won me on that section which is not a problem at all as we have been in touch to see how we can work something out as I do not want to take over / replicate a great way of marketing he started. I feel it is professional to rather try and work together than against each other in our industry.

I have a lot of respect for you in that response.

One of the reasons that I chose the outfitter for my first safari was actually some kind comments regarding other outfitters. I've seen a few "likes"/endorsements from outfitters that benefit another outfit. Some competing and some located in other countries. It seemed pretty stand up and also makes me feel that they have confidence in their own operation...

I completely agree with you on most of the points you made and as you know I do believe in not just pushing sales everyday by trying to beat the next guys pricing. To me I do not want to sacrifice the quality of my safaris, the experience I offer clients and my proper areas just to be lowest priced package on AH. I am obviously working on some deals due to COvid that I will offer to the hunters for 2021 but I will still not be the lowest priced outfitter.

I don't know your business situation, but I would avoid being the low-cost leader. It raises a red flag with me.

This is interesting.

I've been at several fishing camps where there is no "solo" option. I don't know if I have ever seen a solo option being offered ever and they charge around the same price as a 7 day plains game safari with several animals.

It doesn't really bother me that much. I get a feel of the characters within a day or two and if I don't feel like being around them I can enjoy my meals and a drink or two and then head to the hut/tent with a book. I would tell the PH/outfitter that I just don't really bond with the others so there isn't a misunderstanding that their service was poor.

I have never felt put off by the outfitter for booking other rods and would never write a poor review. Been back 7x and always will be as long as treated well by the staff/guides.

To be honest, I hunted solo last year and it felt a little bit weird being the center of attention.

Yes, I am an introvert.

With regards to the references listed so many times here I don't really place a ton of trust in them. I don't know if you are cherry picking them. You could just make a list of satisfied clients and send them on to me and leave off the ones who seemed dissatisfied and I'll never know the difference. I don't have access to a complete record of who has ever hunted with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg