Hi Jacques. I take a little different approach.... I usually start with the idea of an experience I want to have and then the priorities fall in line behind that. So the relative importance of the things on your list varies based on whether I am looking for a remote wilderness experience, hunting a type of game (like cats, buffalo, elephant, etc) that might require a PH with specific expertise, looking for my first time experience in Africa, just want to have fun and put a bunch of stuff on the ground inexpensively, or am bringing my wife. The one thing I will not compromise on is that I do not want it to feel like a 'canned' hunt. References etc are important, but I usually look at them as part of my vetting, not as the first stage in decision making. All the best.

Hi Jacques. I take a little different approach.... I usually start with the idea of an experience I want to have and then the priorities fall in line behind that. So the relative importance of the things on your list varies based on whether I am looking for a remote wilderness experience, hunting a type of game (like cats, buffalo, elephant, etc) that might require a PH with specific expertise, looking for my first time experience in Africa, just want to have fun and put a bunch of stuff on the ground inexpensively, or am bringing my wife. The one thing I will not compromise on is that I do not want it to feel like a 'canned' hunt. References etc are important, but I usually look at them as part of my vetting, not as the first stage in decision making. All the best.

Thank you sir this is some good information!

Reading this, I relaized that now I am checking the other things as well.
For example visa, requirements.

I have frantic work schedule, and getting visa to enter the country is becoming difficult.
In reality, to have Visa stamped, it means I must send my passport by courier to embassy (either Namibia or South Africa embasssy), and be without passport 2-3 weeks.

In my job description I can be called to work on short notice, because I will need to travel.
So, visa issuing is really not convenient.
On the other hand, I realised that for that reason, I am looking to Zimbabwe deals and safari offers more often, as visa I can get stamped on arrival to country.

Of course, there are some countries for which their citizens will not need visa to be issued for Namibia and South Africa. But I still think that visa requirements are an issue to travel for some nationalities to some african countries, especcialy in times of covid pandemics when things are not less simple, but quite the opposite.

The ambiance of a tented camp is a given, but when it comes to permanent lodges there is a wide range that you may end up in. At the one end little more than the converted kids bedrooms with white walls adorned with the odd irrelant picture. Plastic chairs around the brick fireplace, if there is one. Very uninspiring. At the other end one gets thatch, trophies, zebra rugs, canvas chairs around a mopani fire. You can feel that real care has gone into it and there is no doubt that you are a special guest In a place that they are proud of. I have stayed at both, and whilst tact demands a bitten tongue I can honestly say the tile and plastic place chose their promo pictures misleadingly. Thank Goodness most lodges are magnificent, but a quick check should be on your tick-off list to avoid disappointment.

Having had 19 SA and Namibian hunts one thing surprises me is that not once has a outfitter asked me what they could have improved on or in what way could it be better. Communication goes both ways.
That's a shame. On my first South African hunt the PH's wife joined me at the campfire and asked what I was enjoying the most and least about my safari. Wise woman, that. A PH would be smart to get a similar vector check early in the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg