Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
We had some plans for this year like fishing with friends and some short trips.
Next year my wife had planned for us to do a bigger trip that is now in jeopardy.
Today she comes to me and asked what our alternative plans are...or what they could be.

Guess I should have seen this coming but I didn't.
And I have no idea what we would do, I hadn't thought about it.
Truthfully I was just keeping my head down with this COVID 19 until things got better.

We are all facing altered plans because of what is going on.
What plans have changed for you and how are you adjusting?
Have you made any alternate arrangements or just waiting to see?
Or maybe moving that hunting/travel money to something else deemed more important at this time.

Last edited:
Waiting to see what the middle of May brings with a spring black bear hunt in Wyoming
Have a Caribou hunt planned for September in Alaska, made arrangements to move it to 2021 if need be. Hopefully going this year.
Purchased a fall black bear tag in Colorado just in case the Caribou hunt doesn't happen this year.
In the mean time reloading a LOT of ammunition LOL

Waiting to see what the middle of May brings with a spring black bear hunt in Wyoming
Have a Caribou hunt planned for September in Alaska, made arrangements to move it to 2021 if need be. Hopefully going this year.
Purchased a fall black bear tag in Colorado just in case the Caribou hunt doesn't happen this year.
In the mean time reloading a LOT of ammunition LOL
I've been talking to a few of my AH friends who say the same about reloading.
Time to clean up the area and get ammo made for when we can actually use it.

Good luck with the Caribou in AK.

My may hunt in Romania is a no go, trying to see if possible maybe September? If not reschedule for next year

My August hunt in SA I'm still hopeful for, if not the same plan: reschedule next year

Alternates?: Depending on airlines flying or not, maybe a late season deal in one of the Southern African countries, who knows ;)

Wife and I were just discussing plans to stay in the US if our 2021 trip is canceled.
Thinking we may do a hunt in East Texas and see some friends on the TX coast.
It also gives us a chance to hit GA and see her family who I am very delinquent in visiting.
Not sure what exactly we would be hunting, but some hunting here is better than no hunting at all.

My may hunt in Romania is a no go, trying to see if possible maybe September? If not reschedule for next year

My August hunt in SA I'm still hopeful for, if not the same plan: reschedule next year

Alternates?: Depending on airlines flying or not, maybe a late season deal in one of the Southern African countries, who knows ;)
What are you planning to hunt in Romania?
Rifle selection for the trip?

I am hoping the majority of my schedule holds together. Here is what I have on the books and how I am thinking about things ...

+ Saskatchewan, Black Bear - early May - had to cancel. Likely to take my friends down to TX to shoot a couple ram, hogs and predators as an affordable, low key replacement
+ Limpopo / Free State, PG - mid August - fingers crossed!
+ Quebec, Wapiti - October - Believe this should be fine assuming Canada lets us Yanks back in
+ Newfoundland, Caribou\ Moose \ Bear - Again, believe this should be okay if cold season doesn't start to drive all of this back

So far I haven’t changed my July-August Namibia/RSA hunt. Not looking good though. Already paid for airlines and a payment on hunts.
Fall hopefully Colorado deer, elk, antelope, bear if I draw. Since I live in Colorado, they are cheap close hunts. Just have to be ready to walk a lot at high altitude.
A PD/coyote/fishing trip or two to Wyoming this summer. Also cheap easy trips for me in the cab over camper.
Managing to shovel snow and workout in my basement to help stay in shape. Not easy at my age, but I’m a lot younger than some of you “ moldy olds”!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've been starting to think about this also.

Currently I have a fishing trip to BC that is scheduled to begin 2 July. Given the current rate of infections in the US and no real sign of significant slowing, my guess is that Canada isn't going to welcome me with open arms and a warm toque. My deposit is refundable as long as the borders are closed, provided they book my spot for 2021, which shouldn't be hard to do given the demand for the destination.

I don't really want to re-book this trip as it butts up against a SE Alaska bear hunt that I already have a deposit on for May 2021 and really compresses my PTO in a narrow timeframe.

But, if I can get into Canada, then game on!

The other 2020 trip that I have is with the AH group hunt in August/September. I'm crossing my fingers on this one. I'm guessing that it's going to depend on the situation in RSA at this point in time. If offered to postpone until 2021, that works for me.

Was supposed to be my 3rd day in Zim right now for leopard/buff. Instead, I'm working on selling a house due to a change in jobs.

Also seriously thinking about trying to do a hunt this spring/early summer here in TX before the move. Looking at you @gizmo

Was supposed to be my 3rd day in Zim right now for leopard/buff. Instead, I'm working on selling a house due to a change in jobs.

Also seriously thinking about trying to do a hunt this spring/early summer here in TX before the move. Looking at you @gizmo
Give me a shout buddy.

Gizmo’s would be a hoot of an alternative!

What are you planning to hunt in Romania?
Rifle selection for the trip?

Roe and wild boar, will be using the outfitters 30-06

We have have canceled our 2020 plans - as have our outfitters and travel agent. I’ll head to a ranch between here and San Antonio for a chance at a 160+ buck in the fall. Hoping ‘21 will be busy.

Wife and I were just discussing plans to stay in the US if our 2021 trip is canceled.
Thinking we may do a hunt in East Texas and see some friends on the TX coast.
It also gives us a chance to hit GA and see her family who I am very delinquent in visiting.
Not sure what exactly we would be hunting, but some hunting here is better than no hunting at all.
You can't go wrong with a driving /camping tour of the US. Call me biased as it's the state I am from, but southern Utah is other worldly. Massive wide open spaces, nothing between you and the vast depths of space, and the most intersting rock formations in the world.

I've been starting to think about this also.

Currently I have a fishing trip to BC that is scheduled to begin 2 July. Given the current rate of infections in the US and no real sign of significant slowing, my guess is that Canada isn't going to welcome me with open arms and a warm toque. My deposit is refundable as long as the borders are closed, provided they book my spot for 2021, which shouldn't be hard to do given the demand for the destination.

I don't really want to re-book this trip as it butts up against a SE Alaska bear hunt that I already have a deposit on for May 2021 and really compresses my PTO in a narrow timeframe.

But, if I can get into Canada, then game on!

The other 2020 trip that I have is with the AH group hunt in August/September. I'm crossing my fingers on this one. I'm guessing that it's going to depend on the situation in RSA at this point in time. If offered to postpone until 2021, that works for me.
Don't want to ran on your parade, but I live in BC and my wife and I have a guided sea kayak trip planned off the coast of Vancouver Island in July. The general feeling is that it's not going to happen.

So bear season is open and this afternoon I took a drive to a good area. It's been a long winter and late spring. Can't get out of the valleys, too much snow. I'll give it another week or so.
Depending on draws, ( I never get a thing) I may plan a fly in mountain caribou hunt in northern BC. This will be a solo venture. Followed by hunting elk and moose a little further south with my brother. But really hope to get a goat draw in a certain area where I grew up. I could hunt goat somewhere else, but it's a thing with me... By the time I was old enough and focused enough to go, the coal mining companies had chased them out. Now the goats are back. As a young kid returning to visit grandparents at Christmas in Salt Lake City, we visited Wolfs Sporting Goods and I'll be damned if there wasn't a photo of Mr. Wolf on the side of the mountain I grew up under, with a goat and an old guide I knew.

The only thing I have planned in 2020 was June hunt in RSA for Buff and lioness with some bird hunting. If June hunt is canceled and can’t get in in July will move it to 2021 and add more days and animals. I am kind of burned out on hunting here in Texas and will save for a bigger trip to RSA. The only thing that might change is when I go visit Gizmo to look at my taxidermy he is finishing up I might take along a rifle and spend a few days if RSA trip is canceled

Bear season opened April 1 but lots of snow, hope to get baits out on my Quarter in the next two weeks. Hoping for a late spring bear for meat. Had a Alligator hunt planned in September in Florida hope it goes. Other than that hunting in Alberta although I may see if I can do a hunt in Nunavut if North West Adventures has a opening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg