What are the toughest plains game animals??

Most are plenty tough. But in my experience- oryx, wildebeest, eland, zebra. Of a few hundred North American game compared to African PG, pound per pound, African PG, IMO, are slightly tougher. And, it may be that eland are tough because they are so big- but no matter their size, they seem tough to me.

But anecdotes are what they are.

But on the day all that study, accuracy, proper caliber, and perfect bullet somehow just doesn't go according to plan the list above seems about right to create a really long few hours.
Exactly! And especially when hunting out in the real wild wilderness where you may have only one fleating chance.

Its a bit different in a put and take high fence where you might go have lunch and come back or find the critter in the same area the next day;)

Exactly! And especially when hunting out in the real wild wilderness where you may have only one fleating chance.

Its a bit different in a put and take high fence where you might go have lunch and come back or find the critter in the same area the next day;)

C'mon Bob, you better than this.

So all your Oryx went down just like that?

So all your Oryx went down just like that?
No, they're up there for sure. Just didn't crack the nod for me, but if I had to add them, 4th for sure.
Certainly worth the mention.

My list for the species I have had the opportunity to take
1. Black Wildebeest
2. Sable
3. Blue Wildebeest

All were hit with good first shots with 375 HH. But all needed a second shot after follow up. The Black took 4 rounds all in the kill zone before stayed down.

Will have to disagree here Jim. Blue WB stands above all. Seen them take shot after shot after shot, all withing a tennis ball group on the shoulder, sneezing blood from their nose, and still try to walk off, only to realise that the fuel line has been cut.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here. Barnes TSX/TTSX?
'Once made a perfect just behind shoulder shot on a BW at 275 yds from high atop a cliff w/ a .338 (TSX) and it ran for miles across a valley into the sunset prior to finally expiring. One lung hit like it was shot with a field point on an arrow. Perfect shot placement (literally had a rock-steady rest) and angle. They are tough, and I suspect the bullet may have had something to do with it...If only I had broken out the Gatling gun that day! 'Took the next one with a .375 at 50 yds (300 gr SP, heart shot, it ran around in circles for a moment, then collapsed.)

Oryx are awfully tough as well, and they can kill you if you don't do your part! Shot one with the same rig as above, it started coming at me with horns "drawn," and luckily put it down with another shot landing not 2 inches away from the first. 'Got another using a 250 gr traditional SP in .338 and it dropped to the (high shoulder) shot at ~75 yds.

All, but especially Giraffe, Zebra, WB, and Oryx. They're most certainly NOT deer! Built to withstand predatory attacks. A WB weighs as much as 4-6 deer, and Oryx 3! I've seen well-hit Impala run quite a distance prior to expiring.

'Once made a perfect just behind shoulder shot on a BW at 275 yds from high atop a cliff w/ a .338 (TSX) and it ran for miles across a valley into the sunset prior to finally expiring. One lung hit like it was shot with a field point on an arrow. Perfect shot placement (literally had a rock-steady rest) and angle. They are tough, and I suspect the bullet may have had something to do with it...If only I had broken out the Gatling gun that day! 'Took the next one with a .375 at 50 yds (300 gr SP, heart shot, it ran around in circles for a moment, then collapsed.)

Oryx are awfully tough as well, and they can kill you if you don't do your part! Shot one with the same rig as above, it started coming at me with horns "drawn," and luckily put it down with another shot landing not 2 inches away from the first. 'Got another using a 250 gr traditional SP in .338 and it dropped to the (high shoulder) shot at ~75 yds.
TSX.....

I really don’t mind the snarky comments.
the original post said “I am a new hunter…”. Because of that question I responded the way that I did. Having taken a less than perfect shot on a leopard and following up on him, I’m fully aware of hunting situations that result in less than ideal situations.

I all depends on where and how you hit an animal. Much "toughness" of an animal can be attributed to poor shot placement. Hunters fail to accept the responsibility.

I all depends on where and how you hit an animal. Much "toughness" of an animal can be attributed to poor shot placement. Hunters fail to accept the responsibility.
On my recent hunt one of the hunters lost a waterbuck. When I talked to him he said that he had hit it but that the bulled didn't expand. I asked him what bullet he was shooting and it was a Barnes TTSX. I then asked him how he knew that it didn't expand when the animal wasn't recovered? He didn't have a answer to that.

+1 on the oryx...had one run for a day and a half. When he would get up from laying down an absolute spray of blood, then very little on the run. Bushmen trackers would find a hoof scrape on a rock, a tiny drop of blood. Went up and down and around the mountain like a stair climber machine from Hell. The bushmen gave up the chase when a last herd crossed the tracks and also were convinced the meat would be no good...southern Namibia.
Perhaps I should have also mentioned...shot with Hornady Interlock Light Magnum--so possible bullet failure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,