Water Buffalo Hunting On A Budget

Discussion in 'Hunting Australia & New Zealand' started by TOBY458, May 19, 2019.

1. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I do agree with timbo, when travelling through south east asia it was a very common sight to see water buffalo in a paddy field or feeding on the side of the road.

I whole heartedly believe they can be dangerous in the same way that growing up on a farm I've been chased up the cattle yards by pissed off cows or had to jump over a fence to get away from a cow with a calf or cranky bull. They are a domesticated breed gone wild.

In regards to no such thing as free or cheap, come off it. I'm not insinuating someone from over seas or down south like me is going to get it but locals many definitely do. Couple of blokes my age jackaroo'd up there and never paid a cent for any they shot. The few guys I've spoken to that have done it legally have had to pay somewhere between $1000-2000 trophy fee. But granted you need the access.

As for people taking their own gear I'm sure you're aware that most Australians are diy hunters and that would appeal to many if guides offered it. I'm sure the truth to why they don't is somewhere between not trusting clients and wanting to make a killing on expensive hunts.

Timbo likes this.

2. Sitting Bull_Chris

Sitting Bull_Chris AH Member

Member of:
    Australian Hunters International, Australian Bowhunters Association
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
    The price of Aussie buffalo hunts is out of my league with some of them costing $8-10,000 for a week.
    Just to put it in perspective I paid a plumber $88.00/ hour in Sydney, Australia for a job lasting just over a week (including materials was just on $8K total). He worked 8 hours per day. A hunting guide is working 18 hours a day so is earning considerably less than a plumber per hour even at the higher priced end of buffalo hunts when other costs are added into the price structure.

3. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia
    You forget, African PHs also pay various taxes: including a percentage for the concession they're hunting in, and/or a rate to the operator they work under. A lot rely on the gratuity paid to them by the client. I admit to my certain knowledge, some trophy fees are deliberately inflated, but this is exactly the same situation over here in Australia to hunt this vermin species: Governments and individuals just extorting their cut. (The only reason I can see why this exists is maybe because of a: "well they charge US$5K for a buffalo in Africa, so lets charge US$5K for our buffalo too?" kind of attitude?) But NT water buffalo, I'm sure, are the only vermin that commands a premium trophy fee to eradicate.

Lastly, did you pay your plumber in Aussie or US dollars? Because Aussies are always disadvantaged when obligated to pay in USD (currently US$0.69 to AUD$1.00). In this aspect Aussie guides benefit very well with the exchange rates in their favour - perhaps this is one reason why they like to guide?

JPbowhunter likes this.

4. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

if our buffalo are not dangerous enough, then some of our scrub cattle might be more to your liking.
    bruce.

Opposite Pole likes this.

5. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    I agree. From experience scrub bulls can be pretty cantankerous.

6. Sitting Bull_Chris

Sitting Bull_Chris AH Member

Member of:
    Australian Hunters International, Australian Bowhunters Association
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
    I'm an Aussie, so thankfully paid in Australian dollars but can see how the current exchange rate will definitely advantage the guides and disadvantage locals wishing to hunt buffalo. I guess my point is that there are few guides in Australia getting rich even at what seems like high prices given the amount of hours they work and the additional costs they have to pay in vehicles, insurances, advertising, attending hunting expo's etc. It's also a function of our free market economy of supply and demand. I guess if they can keep their seasons booked then it isn't going to get any cheaper for us. Glad I had the opportunity to hunt buffalo for the trophy fee back in the 1990's.

7. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Yes I agree, there definitely is something screwy in the system somewhere when cape buff hunt costs the same as water buff - even though it's vermin, and, you're an Aussie hunter!!

True what you say about 90's fees! I remember cape buff - all inclusive - at US$5K for 10-days. I wish I could've hunted more back then!!