WANTED: Cape Buffalo Hunt Non-trophy Bull 2023

Welcome welcome

Its not too far out to plan 2023. May be a little far out for most outfitters to send you secure prices
But agreements can be made

Will send you a pm

My non-trophy buffalo bull was fair chase in Zimbabwe and a real bargain. This old fellow just happened to have a 36" boss, but what a hunt it was! Good price for these non- trophy bulls and if we hunters dont take them they bring zero revenue, just hyena meat.

F60BFB93-ADCF-46A9-858D-545778780AFC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My non- trophy buffalo bull was fair chase in Zimbabwe and it was a wonderful hunt. If we dont take these bulls just because they have less than 36" spread then they bring absolutely no revenue. Just hyena meat. My old dagga boy was 34 inches and made a great mount.
EC14F2C5-A188-42A3-8664-42F818AA54D2.jpeg

Trying to reply for the third time, apologies if this pitches up multiple times.
My buffalo non-trophy bull was fair chase in Zimbabwe. Just 34 inches but this old dagga boy wasnt getting any bigger and unless we add value by hunting these NT bulls they add no value.

F60BFB93-ADCF-46A9-858D-545778780AFC.jpeg

Thanks, Kevin; that's the kind of animal that I'd be very happy with, or possibly an older cow.

Last edited:
My knowledge of buffalo hunting is minimal; would hunting an older cow be a similar experience to hunting a bull?

My knowledge of buffalo hunting is minimal; would hunting an older cow be a similar experience to hunting a bull?

I am having same knowledge, and considering same question, looking forward for answers to this!

We have breeding herds of buffalo on a very large property. It is definitely fair chase hunting with tracking the buffalo on foot.

Well, tracking on foot might be better than chasing in a jeep but I'll submit that those buffalo did not grow up being wary of predators unless you also have lions, and hyenas on the property with them.

I guess it depends on definition of fair chase.

Well, tracking on foot might be better than chasing in a jeep but I'll submit that those buffalo did not grow up being wary of predators unless you also have lions, and hyenas on the property with them.

I guess it depends on definition of fair chase.
There are no lions chasing the buffalo in Mozambique's Zambezi Delta - based on my experiences there, I would definitely call those swamp bulls fair chase.

I would suggest you hunt a South African ranch large enough for self sustaining herds of buffalo before being too judgemental on what constitutes an ethical hunt for one.

Last edited:

The cows are more weary they are the ones who look after the herd so it is from my experience a more challenging hunt.

I would suggest you hunt a South African ranch large enough for self sustaining herds of buffalo before being too judgemental on what constitutes an ethical hunt for one.

I didn't call it unethical. However, I'd submit there is a difference between a managed herd in a game farm and a wild herd elsewhere. The RSA PH knows exactly where the herd is including the specific bulls to shoot, whereas the wild buffalo can be anywhere in a concession area and the shootable bull is more of the luck of the draw (and wind etc.) and actual search.

I have seen it advertised here, get your 45"+ bull for $$$$$ etc. for RSA farms.

Edit: Let me emphasize, I see nothing wrong with game farm hunting. It definitely gets people in to Africa hunting at a reasonable cost and I always mention it is cheaper to go to Africa than a guided Elk hunt in Wyoming etc.. I was just referring the degree of effort/difficulty required when comparing the two.

Last edited:
I apologize. I interpreted your comment “I guess it depends on definition of fair chase” as an ethical observation about hunting a buffalo on a game ranch. I am not sure how else to interpret it - but fine, I’ll take you at your word.

However, I will agree whole heartedly with you about advertising specific bulls or paying by the centimeter. I always assume such an animal also probably has a name. I also much prefer a sable or Nyla from their native habitat, than a protein enhanced one from a small fenced ranch.

There are game ranches and there are game ranches. Picking the right one is really important - particularly for a buffalo.

Last edited:
It's a long way off, but I'm starting to plan my next trip to Africa. I hunted plains game in Namibia in 2018, when I reached 50, and would like to hunt a Cape Buffalo bull when I get to 55.
I am relaxed about which country, as long as it is relatively accessible from the UK, but I am only interested in fair chase hunting; I want to work hard to get my animal. My wife will be coming along as an observer.
I'm willing to pay a deposit, and to make subsequent payments to help spread the cost. Happy to receive recommendations as well as details of cost and availability from outfitters. Thanks.
Good day sir, we would love to assist you with a trip over for Cape Buffalo! We are based in the Limpopo province of South Africa on a beautiful concession bordering one of South Africa's largest private Reserves. We conduct our buffalo hunts the right way and enjoy the fair chase aspect of it. We want to HUNT your buffalo with you, not just shoot it. We have a great many clients that hail from the UK and would love to put you in touch with them should you wish to speak to someone from back home. We are more than happy to plan the hunt long in advance, we are sure by the time we get around to it you will be better prepared than most! Please feel free to send us an email if you wish to see pictures and videos of our hunting area and just open up a line of communication. Kindest regards and good luck! Dempsey Bayly and Michael Sippel - hunt@baylysippelsafaris.co.za

There are game ranches and there are game ranches. Picking the right one is really important - particularly for a buffalo.

This is a fundamentally important observation when it comes to hunting South Africa where the offer literally goes
  • from shooting (observe that I am not using the word hunting) on 1,000 acres a specific animal purchased and released 3 days before the client's arrival (this is how trophy size can be guaranteed: it is measured when the animal is darted by the breeder before delivery);
  • to hunting breeding herds in their natural environment in properties measuring tens of thousands of acres - I personally think that 20,000 acres is a very meaningful threshold - where neither outfitter nor PH can guaranty anything but their best effort...
As to "fair chase", once the land and animals questions have been addressed - and this pretty much excludes in my judgment the guaranteed 44" buff on 1,000 acres - then it is mostly a question of how the hunt is conducted. Sniping a buff at 150 yards from the truck is not really fair chase in my personal judgement, even if it is done in a million acre concession in the Caprivi, Moyowosi, Luangwa, Okavango or Matetsi. Conversely hunting buff on foot on 20,000 acres in dense bush in Limpopo or Eastern Cape is, again in my personal judgement, as fair chase as fair chase can get...

The challenge for the booking client is to sort out on a website or a brochure who is who...

Because I believe in intellectual honesty and setting up the right expectations, here is how I address this in the Welcome to Huntershill booklet that I wrote for our first time clients:

upload_2020-4-13_14-20-25.png

upload_2020-4-13_14-21-6.png

upload_2020-4-13_14-21-41.png

upload_2020-4-13_14-22-27.png

:)

Last edited:
Trying to reply for the third time, apologies if this pitches up multiple times.
My buffalo non-trophy bull was fair chase in Zimbabwe. Just 34 inches but this old dagga boy wasnt getting any bigger and unless we add value by hunting these NT bulls they add no value.

View attachment 341729
That is a magnificent bull and anyone with any experience hunting them would regard so. Congratulations.

I hunted buffalo on a game ranch close to Thabazimbi and we didn't see buffalo until the third day. Cows calves and two bulls in the herd. It makes a difference on terrain and vegetation not just the size of the property.

Good day

Thanks for your general enquiry, it is good to experience the positiveness among the hunting enthusiasts during this tough times and that people are looking beyond Covid 19, still passionate about the outdoors and willing to support Africa's conservation efforts.

I am sure you will agree that a "new normal" will be established post the reality of Covid 19, which will change the look and feel of most businesses on the one side and create opportunity on the other side, more specifically relating to conservation and game management. Considering the current uncertainty, I would suggest that you continue to plan your dream but formalize the plan closer to the time.

Game Trackers Africa (GTA) is a long standing Outfitting operation facilitating predominantly free-ranging safaris in Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and Cameroon. Our South African concessions are large fenced areas ranging from 4000 acres to in excess of 10000 acres.

GTA's diverse offering in Safari areas in five countries provides clients with more flexibility to tailor their Safari to fit their specific need considering their planned journey, experience expectation and specie diversity selection.

You are welcome to contact us with your specific needs or general plan and we can assist to design your Safari for consideration and get to business once we understand the "new normal" and sustainability in this new environment.

Kind regards

Piet Oosthuizen

The problem is that if we don't support farmed animals for hunt then that breeding industry will die and we won't be able to claim so much that our hunting conserves. Having said that the farm-hunt owners have a lot of responsibility here, anyone who advertises animals per inch deserves to go bust, and probably will. The size of the property is far less important than the experience the hunter ends up getting. And make no mistake a buffalo on 1000 acres will kill you just as dead as one on 20000 acres will.
With reference to cows or bulls, I would sooner take a non-trophy bull than a cow if it comes down to price. Just me, but a hunt is all about the mystique of it all and a cow hunt just has less chilli for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!