Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
It's a long way off, but I'm starting to plan my next trip to Africa. I hunted plains game in Namibia in 2018, when I reached 50, and would like to hunt a Cape Buffalo bull when I get to 55.
I am relaxed about which country, as long as it is relatively accessible from the UK, but I am only interested in fair chase hunting; I want to work hard to get my animal. My wife will be coming along as an observer.
I'm willing to pay a deposit, and to make subsequent payments to help spread the cost. Happy to receive recommendations as well as details of cost and availability from outfitters. Thanks.

I'd say look at outfitters from Zimbabwe for a reasonably priced fair chase Cape Buffalo hunt.

One thing, circumstances change for outfitters (like right now due to Covid-19) who is in business today might not be tomorrow. If you want to spread the payments and start now I suggest you establish a hunting savings account at home and start making deposits. Book your hunt the year you intend to go using the accumulated funds in your savings account.

It's a long way off, but I'm starting to plan my next trip to Africa. I hunted plains game in Namibia in 2018, when I reached 50, and would like to hunt a Cape Buffalo bull when I get to 55.
I am relaxed about which country, as long as it is relatively accessible from the UK, but I am only interested in fair chase hunting; I want to work hard to get my animal. My wife will be coming along as an observer.
I'm willing to pay a deposit, and to make subsequent payments to help spread the cost. Happy to receive recommendations as well as details of cost and availability from outfitters. Thanks.

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Your worries would like to have many now.
How am I gonna spend my 2023 vacation ???
You're a real comedian.

Last edited:
Come on Foxi, why would you say this, hunting friend? :)
That is unless you intended a joke that maybe did not come through translated from German to English ;)
It is not all that uncommon to plan a Safari 3 years in advance.
Just looking at Huntershill for example, we are mostly fully booked for 2021, and about half the bookings we took at the DSC and SCI shows in January/ February 2020 were for 2022, so looking now at 2023 may be 6 to 8 months ahead of the curve but it is not all that bad. We much prefer offering full flexibility for 2023 for example, rather than trying to shoehorn something into 2021 :)

I'd say look at outfitters from Zimbabwe for a reasonably priced fair chase Cape Buffalo hunt.

One thing, circumstances change for outfitters (like right now due to Covid-19) who is in business today might not be tomorrow. If you want to spread the payments and start now I suggest you establish a hunting savings account at home and start making deposits. Book your hunt the year you intend to go using the accumulated funds in your savings account.
I always plan - as scheduled and deposit sent - at least two years in advance. Most of the really well respected guys - Africa or elsewhere - are booked pretty quickly. I think setting up for ‘23 is a fine idea.

Will agree that a mad money account is an excellent plan.

@Donnachaidh I am more curious what you mean by a “non-trophy” bull. Unless you are talking about an animal to be shot for local use and you bring nothing home, then any bull is a “trophy”. In a wilderness area, a PH will try to find you the best he can in the time allotted. South African game farms often have graduated trophy fees based on size, but all are “trophies.”

As several folks have said already, I think planning for 2023 is a smart idea. Considering that there are likely to be quite a few hunters who are booked for this year pushing hunt dates back to next year or even ‘22, calendars are probably going to fill up fast. Spend the next few months talking to outfitters, looking at a few different countries and finding the hunt that best fits your desires. Also lets you see how things unfold this season and make sure your outfitter comes through this mess intact and operating.
Best wishes in finding your dream hunt! Keep us posted :)

I always plan - as scheduled and deposit sent - at least two years in advance. Most of the really well respected guys - Africa or elsewhere - are booked pretty quickly. I think setting up for ‘23 is a fine idea...

I guess our experiences differ. I never had an issue with booking a hunt the year of at DSC or SCI. I booked with Buzz Charlton for this August (leopard/buffalo) on the dates I wanted at DSC. So, about 8 months in advance. Of course, whether the hunt happens or not is another story. I already canceled two international trips this year. Got August and October to go.

I
I guess our experiences differ. I never had an issue with booking a hunt the year of at DSC or SCI. I booked with Buzz Charlton for this August (leopard/buffalo) on the dates I wanted at DSC. So, about 8 months in advance. Of course, whether the hunt happens or not is another story. I already canceled two international trips this year. Got August and October to go.
I think you gave very good advice under the circumstances. I’ve never had an issue booking most hunts the year of either. Most hunts I book 6 months to a year out.

@Donnachaidh
I would also like to know, what non-trophy bull is meant by, with your research.

Thank you for the replies; the UK Government is considering banning the import / export of hunting trophies. If this proposal becomes law, then I will not be able to bring anything home other than photographs and memories. An older bull with poor to average horns would be ideal, but anything better would probably be better left for another Hunter who won't face any export restrictions.

Last edited:
Come on Foxi, why would you say this, hunting friend? :)
That is unless you intended a joke that maybe did not come through translated from German to English ;)
It is not all that uncommon to plan a Safari 3 years in advance.
Just looking at Huntershill for example, we are mostly fully booked for 2021, and about half the bookings we took at the DSC and SCI shows in January/ February 2020 were for 2022, so looking now at 2023 may be 6 to 8 months ahead of the curve but it is not all that bad. We much prefer offering full flexibility for 2023 for example, rather than trying to shoehorn something into 2021 :)

Then I beg your pardon for my mocking remarks.
You know - our economy is dissolving into its components, many people are undermedicated and will die.
We heard from an English friend yesterday, that in the hospitals in Bristol/UK, the nurses are putting on plastic garbage bags !!! because there are no more protective suits. ......and then I read where someone is thinking about how to spend his holiday in three years.
Under all the circumstances, I just had to laugh.

I see again the differences between Germans and Americans.
You always look positively into the future, that is a true strength of your nation.
Try to learn from you.
No offense.
Happy Easter

Foxi

Hi Foxi; the last thing on my mind was to cause any offence or to appear disrespectful. The UK, like many other countries, is currently under lockdown. I was only seeking to look to the future when I hope life returns to normal (if that will ever be possible). The people suffering from CV-19 around the world, and those caring for them, are in my thoughts and prayers.

I conduct Buffalo hunts in Tanzania as well as South Africa. In terms of Costs the South African option would be cheaper than Tanzania. Both are fair chase with Tanzania being non fenced and in wilderness areas. In South Africa you will probably work harder for your bull but in Tanzania you will be able to look over more Bulls before you take one and you could take a second Bull for $3600 only. Please feel free to email me for more details. info@spearsafaris.com. Cheers Ernest

Thank you for the replies; the UK Government is considering banning the import / export of hunting trophies.

Thanks for reply!
I am only marginally following this subject, mostly to several comments on this forum.
Question:
What is a word about this now? Will the ban apply to all trophies, all improted species, or only to those found on IUCN endagered species?
Mind, buffalo is the only dangerous game animal, not under any Cites list.

The UK Government has been running a consultation regarding trophy hunting; one option was a ban on any trophies being imported or exported from the UK.

Not too early for a little general info gathering. But as to specifics? well a lot can change between now and then. Good luck......FWB

Good Day Sir

Its never to early to star planning and gather info.

You are most welcome to contact me at any time for more info.

Regards

Rouan

Hi Donnachaidh
Have you thought about hunting a buffalo cow instead if you not worried about the trophy they can be a lot cheaper.

I feel sorry for the UK hunters if your government implements a complete ban on importing trophies.
If it happens it is not the end of the world.
You can still experience the thrill of the hunt by hunting an animal, take as many pictures as you want and have the added advantage of not having a shipping bill or taxidermy bill at the end of your safari.
The anti-hunting movement think that if they stop trophy imports everybody will stop hunting.
Let us stop this foolish notion of them before it spreads to other countries by showing them that trophy importation is not the determining factor whether you go hunting or not.

Regarding the buffalo hunts we can also assist Donnachaidh in his quest for buffalo.
We have breeding herds of buffalo on a very large property. It is definitely fair chase hunting with tracking the buffalo on foot.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Might I suggest since you are going to do non throphy hunt do a Bull and a cow hunt in South Africa that will really be non expensive to add a cow and you will have two buffalo hunts into one.
Shop around in South Africa there are some really weary buffalo in certain areas and some that are just too tame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg