Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana
I just saw this article and I'd like input from those that travel more than myself, to help explain this process they are talking about.
I noticed it says you must be tested within 24 hours of departure now, versus 72 hours as it was last year. And you can take a home test with you and do it yourself. The question then would be, how do you get the proctor online if you are in a remote area in order to validate the results?
For me in particular, leaving the USA going to RSA, then returning. A year ago, a test done within 72 hours before departing the USA and one within 72 hours before departing RSA on the return leg. That apparently is not the current format?

New COVID Testing Rules

Daveboone

AH member
Reaction score
I sure as heck have never heard of the source you used for your information. I would ignore that totally and go to either the CDC or the South African American Embassy site for current information.

Carson

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm hoping the testing requirement for South Africa is removed completely tomorrow.

If it doesn't, I need some help interpreting something. It says that you need to test 72 hours before departure to South Africa. Is that 72 hours before your last leg that leaves for South Africa, or any leg on your trip? I've seen people say both, and the information on the South Africa website is a little bit vague. If you have an answer for this question, can you please post a link?

Last edited:

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I'm hoping the testing requirement for South Africa is removed completely tomorrow.

If it doesn't, I need some help interpreting something. It says that you need to test 72 hours before departure to South Africa. Is that 72 hours before your last leg that leaves for South Africa, or any leg on your trip? I've seen people say both, and the information on the South Africa website is a little bit vague. If you haven't answer for this question, can you please post a link?

When I traveled in June 2021 on Qatar it was 72 hours before your first departure day. With the ever changing rules I will wait till about 5-6 days before this years departure to see what requirements will be for departure and return. I have a place that does 2 hour PCR test within 50 miles of me. Your PH will have it all figured out where to get you tested for your return if needed.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
I sure as heck have never heard of the source you used for your information. I would ignore that totally and go to either the CDC or the South African American Embassy site for current information.
TPG is the The Points Guy. Before covid he usually wrote about the best deals on different airlines. Which one had the largest seats and such. He is legit and has been around along time. He is not a doctor.

375Fox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
I was researching if I needed a pre-travel Covid test today for my Spain trip. Spain says 24 hours before travel on a non-PCR test but is still 72 hours with a PCR test (for non-vaccinated travelers). I’m assuming this is a similar situation where rules are being relaxed to make travel more accessible.

375Fox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
You may want to consider reading some of his information. It shouldn’t be used as an official source, but there is a lot of quality information there. A travel search on google usually gives his website among the top results.

Dee S

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I didn't count him as Moses when I read it, I just came across it and thought I'd inquire and seek more information from you guys. :oops:

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
Israel required within 72 hours of the leg of your flight that was landing in Israel. Not, the starting for my domestic connection. So, although I was leaving Orlando at 4 pm, my Newark flight didn't leave until 11 pm on a Monday. So, 11 pm Friday or later was the date/timestamp required.

I'm in Florida. I was able to get tested 9 am Saturday and had my results Sunday evening around 7 pm.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Dee, for your return to the USA, you now only need an Antigen Rapid test 24 hours before your return. You get those results in 15min, and can be done at the airport on your departure day.

Areaonereal

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just returned from SA…..PCR required for entry to SA, 72 hours prior to first flight to SA. Travel within SA ….no test required. Returning to USA. CDC requires a Rapid Antigen no more than one day prior to boarding first flight to US. About $20. At airport in less than 15 min.

Your airline will review at checkin your negative and date prior to issuing boarding pass. Upon entry to US….nothing. We got our test at 6:00pm for flight out at 10:00 pm On evening of departure for US. Covid test stations everywhere in airport. In and out in less than 15 min. Not sure results of test even noted…nasal swab and print out of results in less than 3 minutes. It is Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
The State of Disaster has been extended by another month unluckily.
This is disastrous:E Crying:
Nothing has really changed. Only reason they extended is because after the "State of Disaster" lapses, we have to pay back the loan of R500B.

By the way, our extra Covid numbers for the country yesterday was 671. That's for the entire country.

Jörg Krüger

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
We don't want to pay off our debt but rather donate R50Mil to Cuba. Sad eh. Sorry, off topic.
671, I know. Its a f*cking joke this whole affair.
Nothing has really changed. Only reason they extended is because after the "State of Disaster" lapses, we have to pay back the loan of R500B.

By the way, our extra Covid numbers for the country yesterday was 671. That's for the entire country.

Dee S

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Dee, for your return to the USA, you now only need an Antigen Rapid test 24 hours before your return. You get those results in 15min, and can be done at the airport on your departure day.
Thanks Marius, appreciate the info.

Dee S

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Just returned from SA…..PCR required for entry to SA, 72 hours prior to first flight to SA. Travel within SA ….no test required. Returning to USA. CDC requires a Rapid Antigen no more than one day prior to boarding first flight to US. About $20. At airport in less than 15 min.

Your airline will review at checkin your negative and date prior to issuing boarding pass. Upon entry to US….nothing. We got our test at 6:00pm for flight out at 10:00 pm On evening of departure for US. Covid test stations everywhere in airport. In and out in less than 15 min. Not sure results of test even noted…nasal swab and print out of results in less than 3 minutes. It is Africa.
Great information, thanks, much appreciated.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

deewayne2003

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
After traveling to Brazil in January, my best advice is to follow airline requirements & look directly at the government sites like Brickburn provided.

Brazil changed its testing requirements/quarantines 3 times just weeks before our trips.

Not an easy thing to juggle when you live in an area where PCR tests are not easy to obtain within a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dogpound

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cajunchefray wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello Tom "SAFARIKIDD". This is Charles Ray, aka "cajunchefray" from Ponchatoula.

We spoke a year or two ago when I sold you the Swarovski illuminated reticle scope,
Would like to meet with you and talk about Cal.

I bought some brass and bullets, and book from Cal and looked forward to meeting him, we talked about DSC next year.
Let's meet soon.
Charles
Andrew62 wrote on gillettehunter's profile.
Hello Bruce, I think you are still in Africa?? I just sent payment to Bulls Eye Taxidermy to have 3 of my animals mounted, it has been years since I have had anything mounted. I hope Ronnie and Jimmy had a good hunt down Kimberly way. Anyway, so nice to have met you Bruce, it was wonderful meeting you and spending time with you in camp. I hope your store closure and building sale go well. Cheers, Andrew Fike
BigFan375 wrote on Freetrade's profile.
I'm sorry, but I'm buying, not selling.............lee
Member: NRA Life

Hunt: Alaska-Canada-NM
geoff rath wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
G'day Bob,
Just had a yarn with A G, and he has filled me in on how much work he puts in to such developments, referencing QuikLoad, tightening tolerances, load development, range testing. He indicated that of you wish to contact him directly he can go into details far better than I.
If you wish , contact him directly, he has given the OK for me to pass that on.