AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana, Northern Cape, Alberta, Natal, Zambia
I just saw this article and I'd like input from those that travel more than myself, to help explain this process they are talking about.
I noticed it says you must be tested within 24 hours of departure now, versus 72 hours as it was last year. And you can take a home test with you and do it yourself. The question then would be, how do you get the proctor online if you are in a remote area in order to validate the results?
For me in particular, leaving the USA going to RSA, then returning. A year ago, a test done within 72 hours before departing the USA and one within 72 hours before departing RSA on the return leg. That apparently is not the current format?

New COVID Testing Rules

I sure as heck have never heard of the source you used for your information. I would ignore that totally and go to either the CDC or the South African American Embassy site for current information.

I'm hoping the testing requirement for South Africa is removed completely tomorrow.

If it doesn't, I need some help interpreting something. It says that you need to test 72 hours before departure to South Africa. Is that 72 hours before your last leg that leaves for South Africa, or any leg on your trip? I've seen people say both, and the information on the South Africa website is a little bit vague. If you have an answer for this question, can you please post a link?

Last edited:
I'm hoping the testing requirement for South Africa is removed completely tomorrow.

If it doesn't, I need some help interpreting something. It says that you need to test 72 hours before departure to South Africa. Is that 72 hours before your last leg that leaves for South Africa, or any leg on your trip? I've seen people say both, and the information on the South Africa website is a little bit vague. If you haven't answer for this question, can you please post a link?

When I traveled in June 2021 on Qatar it was 72 hours before your first departure day. With the ever changing rules I will wait till about 5-6 days before this years departure to see what requirements will be for departure and return. I have a place that does 2 hour PCR test within 50 miles of me. Your PH will have it all figured out where to get you tested for your return if needed.

I sure as heck have never heard of the source you used for your information. I would ignore that totally and go to either the CDC or the South African American Embassy site for current information.
TPG is the The Points Guy. Before covid he usually wrote about the best deals on different airlines. Which one had the largest seats and such. He is legit and has been around along time. He is not a doctor.

I was researching if I needed a pre-travel Covid test today for my Spain trip. Spain says 24 hours before travel on a non-PCR test but is still 72 hours with a PCR test (for non-vaccinated travelers). I’m assuming this is a similar situation where rules are being relaxed to make travel more accessible.

You may want to consider reading some of his information. It shouldn’t be used as an official source, but there is a lot of quality information there. A travel search on google usually gives his website among the top results.

I didn't count him as Moses when I read it, I just came across it and thought I'd inquire and seek more information from you guys. :oops:

Israel required within 72 hours of the leg of your flight that was landing in Israel. Not, the starting for my domestic connection. So, although I was leaving Orlando at 4 pm, my Newark flight didn't leave until 11 pm on a Monday. So, 11 pm Friday or later was the date/timestamp required.

I'm in Florida. I was able to get tested 9 am Saturday and had my results Sunday evening around 7 pm.

Dee, for your return to the USA, you now only need an Antigen Rapid test 24 hours before your return. You get those results in 15min, and can be done at the airport on your departure day.

Just returned from SA…..PCR required for entry to SA, 72 hours prior to first flight to SA. Travel within SA ….no test required. Returning to USA. CDC requires a Rapid Antigen no more than one day prior to boarding first flight to US. About $20. At airport in less than 15 min.

Your airline will review at checkin your negative and date prior to issuing boarding pass. Upon entry to US….nothing. We got our test at 6:00pm for flight out at 10:00 pm On evening of departure for US. Covid test stations everywhere in airport. In and out in less than 15 min. Not sure results of test even noted…nasal swab and print out of results in less than 3 minutes. It is Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
The State of Disaster has been extended by another month unluckily.
This is disastrous:E Crying:
Nothing has really changed. Only reason they extended is because after the "State of Disaster" lapses, we have to pay back the loan of R500B.

By the way, our extra Covid numbers for the country yesterday was 671. That's for the entire country.

We don't want to pay off our debt but rather donate R50Mil to Cuba. Sad eh. Sorry, off topic.
671, I know. Its a f*cking joke this whole affair.
Nothing has really changed. Only reason they extended is because after the "State of Disaster" lapses, we have to pay back the loan of R500B.

By the way, our extra Covid numbers for the country yesterday was 671. That's for the entire country.

Dee, for your return to the USA, you now only need an Antigen Rapid test 24 hours before your return. You get those results in 15min, and can be done at the airport on your departure day.
Thanks Marius, appreciate the info.

Just returned from SA…..PCR required for entry to SA, 72 hours prior to first flight to SA. Travel within SA ….no test required. Returning to USA. CDC requires a Rapid Antigen no more than one day prior to boarding first flight to US. About $20. At airport in less than 15 min.

Your airline will review at checkin your negative and date prior to issuing boarding pass. Upon entry to US….nothing. We got our test at 6:00pm for flight out at 10:00 pm On evening of departure for US. Covid test stations everywhere in airport. In and out in less than 15 min. Not sure results of test even noted…nasal swab and print out of results in less than 3 minutes. It is Africa.
Great information, thanks, much appreciated.

After traveling to Brazil in January, my best advice is to follow airline requirements & look directly at the government sites like Brickburn provided.

Brazil changed its testing requirements/quarantines 3 times just weeks before our trips.

Not an easy thing to juggle when you live in an area where PCR tests are not easy to obtain within a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg