Tsetse flies

Aw, Tsetse. Often, good buffalo hunting associated with the Fly. I always carry a head net stuffed into a tiny pouch on my belt. The head net and my clothes all treated properly with Permethrin. Deet,and Skin So Soft slow them down a bit. The head net works better over a brimmed hat. I had a crew on one of my Cameroon jaunts that were such aficionados of elephant dung they insisted on using the dung from one special area, claiming it worked far better than elephant poop from just anywhere. Do not feel like you are a wimp wearing a mesh bug jacket. Tsetse love a moving vehicle in tall grass, I keep a Wildebeast tail whisk handy in the lorry. It even has a beaded handle. None of this works but does slow them down. In the evening my wife prefers Benadryl Cream to sooth the bites And I like Cortizone 10.
Remember good Mbogo hunting in Fly Country. that helps

...Next time I went to the chemist non in stock....same next few visits. Asked the chemist and he said not had for a while think they stopped making it....even googled the maker and it wasn't listed....so was probably full of stuff that got banned.... :E Big Grin:

Wasn't that about the time they banned DDT.:ROFLMAO:

So, wearing blue jeans and a black top and you are in for a torid time! My wife wore blue jeans on our trip a few years ago and she clocked 28 bites to my none that morning.
Ah yes, I forgot about the color scheme, I took was warned about blue colors being like a neon sign for a tsetse buffet.

Ah yes, I forgot about the color scheme, I took was warned about blue colors being like a neon sign for a tsetse buffet.

I was told the same about mosquitos, during a trip to the Boundary Waters to canoe, back in my college days: stay away from blue. I took it to heart.

Best for our Florida mosquitoes and deer flies is Shannon Bug Tamer. It’s a thin netted jacket or pants with a thick like fish net behind which keeps the mosquito net far away from your skin. I wear tee shirt and shorts under and hunting in September Florida heat stay relatively comfortable. I suspect it would do well with tsetse. I have no affiliation just a user.
IMG_4057.jpeg

View attachment 599728
View attachment 599729
Pot of burning elephant dung for the bed of the truck.
They are attracted to blue fabric so definitely don’t wear blue like the guy in the picture! The chemically treated blue fabric you see near some camps will attract them and the chemical then kills them when they land on it.

Bring a headnet or two.

They are attracted to blue fabric so definitely don’t wear blue like the guy in the picture! The chemically treated blue fabric you see near some camps will attract them and the chemical then kills them when they land on it.

Bring a headnet or two.
When I ran into them in Tanzania, I was thinking a 28 gauge and couple of cases of shells would have been handy and some fine sport.:giggle:

I will with nearly 100% certainty not EVER go any place with tsetse flies again. I have horrible reactions to them (allergic to mosquitoes also) and it is absolutely not worth it. I tried every spray and cream and sat by the pot of smoking elephant dung and wore a bug suit.
As of now…never again!!
I really feel for you Gina. Had a crew mate that suffered badly as well.
She would sit in the cab with all the windows up in the Nat parks but still get nailed! She would look like something out of dawn of the mumps!
Tried everything from vitamin B to straight deet! In the end she would just start chewing on antihistamines like they where chewing gum :cry: She loved Africa but them little buggers loved her more.

I really feel for you Gina. Had a crew mate that suffered badly as well.
She would sit in the cab with all the windows up in the Nat parks but still get nailed! She would look like something out of dawn of the mumps!
Tried everything from vitamin B to straight deet! In the end she would just start chewing on antihistamines like they where chewing gum :cry: She loved Africa but them little buggers loved her more.
Thank you, I appreciate that! I feel for your crew mate also!! I lost several days of hunting in Tanzania because I was so doped up on antihistamines and they knock me out! I looked like someone shot me from head to toe with red and purple paint balls. Knots, rashes, bruises and welts. I will continue to go to Africa, just not in an area where those flying spawns of satan reside!

I’m looking at inventing a head net with electric buzzer like those electric tennis rackets…….just need a Guinea pig….you up for the challenge Gina :E Crazy Eyes: :ROFLMAO:

Thank you, I appreciate that! I feel for your crew mate also!! I lost several days of hunting in Tanzania because I was so doped up on antihistamines and they knock me out! I looked like someone shot me from head to toe with red and purple paint balls. Knots, rashes, bruises and welts. I will continue to go to Africa, just not in an area where those flying spawns of satan reside!
For some reason about 50% of women have a reaction and get little bumps, even at places where they haven’t been bitten, mostly on lower legs and midsection. Luckily, not on face.

I hate the tsetse flies but I don’t have any reaction, even where bitten, other than the immediate pain/sting of the bite. I wear a headnet and gloves when getting swarmed. I always wear long sleeves, pants and tall socks. I have found the flies to be tolerable and the hunting fantastic in tsetse fly areas.

Without having read through the full thread this may have already been suggested.... this was recommended to me by a PH in Zim to use in Tanzania this past year and to say "I was less than confident it would help" is an understatement. After a marauding group of Tsetse flies ate us alive and having forgotten my application the first day, I can honestly say that it helped all days following. The flies would still hover but for whatever reason they were less inclined to engage in their vile debauchery of making me slap myself.

Avon Skin So Soft Bug Spray - Green Bottle

Will be curious to know if anyone else has tried with any luck.

Cheers,
CK

I forgot a couple things. Knee high gaiters and fingerless gloves both soaked in Permethrin. My wife uses and swears by them. Tsetse go up a pants leg in a flash and also bite the back of hands, fingers not so often. As has been mentioned no black or blue clothes.

I’m looking at inventing a head net with electric buzzer like those electric tennis rackets…….just need a Guinea pig….you up for the challenge Gina :E Crazy Eyes: :ROFLMAO:
I’d be shocked if it worked. Then again, I’d be shocked if it didn’t :E Rofl:

Wear light or neutral coloured clothes and try not to scratch when bitten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonathanG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.