Talk me out of a 416

Ha, fat chance with this group of enablers!!! Best of luck in your decision

Like others have noted we aren’t going to talk you out of purchasing a new rifle. However, that 375 will do the job....but the 416 is “More Better”

Agree with above. Get the Rigby first, get use to it, then get the Jeff. The Jeff is a bit more civil, but just as deadly IMO!

I have a couple 9.3’s, a .375 H&H that I have taken a lot of game with, and a .458 Lott. When buffalo are on the menu I grab the Lott, it just seems to get their attention. If it were me, I’d jump to a Lott or a .450. The .416 isn’t that much of a jump from the .375.

Hit a buffalo in the right place with a good .375 bullet and its lights out. Doesn't mean a bigger bullet wont do better, yeah it probably will. If you hit it right. Recoil is a factor also. If you can handle more of it, go for it. I have owned a half dozen .458 Win mags, but haven't hunted with any of them. My .375 was my only rifle on my first 3 trips and that accounted for two buffalo.

A .375 is plenty enough, as a client you won‘t need anything bigger. But if you want a .416, why not - however it‘s not needed. The ph is the one with the big rifle.

So, talk me out of a 416.

Nope. I joined AH and suddley I own a .404Jeff and I'm trying to sort out DG hunts to justify it. I don't see why you should get off so lightly...

(I already had a 9.3x62 so same step)

Enjoy your shooting ;)

Scrummy

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you buy it yet?

Like all of the others I will not even try to dissuade you from purchasing a larger caliber rifle. Bu...t I'd be willing to suggest an alternative to the 416 Rigby (IMHO all other 416s are want-to-be(s) :sneaky:.) Take a good look at the 404 Jeffery. Have you ever heard anyone say anything derogatory about that caliber. I now own one 416 Rigby which I purchased as a DG rifle thinking it would be the only one I'd need and two 404 Jeffery(s), think about it.

Well you have come to the right place for us bad influences to enable you to get a new big bore. I would suggest you get your 416 (I own a 416 Rigby and ruger, have never shot a 416 REM but ballisticly that are all twins) Shoot it allot and go hunt your buff, take the 375 with solids as a backup and use the 375 with solids on the tiny 10 kritters.

Buy the more expensive caliber rifle for the buffalo hunt..the classic 404 Jeffery..you can hunt buffalo and elephant and plains game...or keep your .375 H&H Magnum and do the same with it...the .375 H&H Magnum has enough penetration for a frontal brain shot on an elephant as well as a side brain shot and a heart shot...you can upgrade to a 350 gn premium bullet as well in your .375 caliber...no reason why you need to buy another rifle ...use that money to hunt more trophy animals on your hunt...as pointed out the 404 Jeffery is too expensive as well as the .416 Rigby..use that money to hunt a tuskless elephant ...

.416 Rigby and be done with it...

Trying different calibers is just like hunting different species.. ask yourself do you need to hunt a buffalo? ..whatever answer you come up with will also answer your question about needing another different caliber rifle .. hunting in Africa is all about new experiences.. it is not just the species but also the equipment that you use ..

Popcorn ready?

Are you talking about a real 416, as in 416 Rigby and not a pretender?
Are you referring the caliber that has a case capacity far too large for today's powders, requires a huge action, and requires 25 more grains of powder than neccessary to push a 400gr bullet at 2400 fps? :A Stirring:

So, how did you make it so far?
Do you crave a .404 and two .416 yet?

Are you referring the caliber that has a case capacity far too large for today's powders, requires a huge action, and requires 25 more grains of powder than neccessary to push a 400gr bullet at 2400 fps? :A Stirring:

No, I think he is talking about the vaunted, historic, and beloved .416 Rigby............(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg