Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania
Ha, fat chance with this group of enablers!!! Best of luck in your decision

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Like others have noted we aren’t going to talk you out of purchasing a new rifle. However, that 375 will do the job....but the 416 is “More Better”

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Agree with above. Get the Rigby first, get use to it, then get the Jeff. The Jeff is a bit more civil, but just as deadly IMO!

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I have a couple 9.3’s, a .375 H&H that I have taken a lot of game with, and a .458 Lott. When buffalo are on the menu I grab the Lott, it just seems to get their attention. If it were me, I’d jump to a Lott or a .450. The .416 isn’t that much of a jump from the .375.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Hit a buffalo in the right place with a good .375 bullet and its lights out. Doesn't mean a bigger bullet wont do better, yeah it probably will. If you hit it right. Recoil is a factor also. If you can handle more of it, go for it. I have owned a half dozen .458 Win mags, but haven't hunted with any of them. My .375 was my only rifle on my first 3 trips and that accounted for two buffalo.

Bushpig4Ever

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
A .375 is plenty enough, as a client you won‘t need anything bigger. But if you want a .416, why not - however it‘s not needed. The ph is the one with the big rifle.

Scrumbag

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
So, talk me out of a 416.

Nope. I joined AH and suddley I own a .404Jeff and I'm trying to sort out DG hunts to justify it. I don't see why you should get off so lightly...

(I already had a 9.3x62 so same step)

Enjoy your shooting ;)

Scrummy

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Did you buy it yet?

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Like all of the others I will not even try to dissuade you from purchasing a larger caliber rifle. Bu...t I'd be willing to suggest an alternative to the 416 Rigby (IMHO all other 416s are want-to-be(s) :sneaky:.) Take a good look at the 404 Jeffery. Have you ever heard anyone say anything derogatory about that caliber. I now own one 416 Rigby which I purchased as a DG rifle thinking it would be the only one I'd need and two 404 Jeffery(s), think about it.

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Well you have come to the right place for us bad influences to enable you to get a new big bore. I would suggest you get your 416 (I own a 416 Rigby and ruger, have never shot a 416 REM but ballisticly that are all twins) Shoot it allot and go hunt your buff, take the 375 with solids as a backup and use the 375 with solids on the tiny 10 kritters.

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Buy the more expensive caliber rifle for the buffalo hunt..the classic 404 Jeffery..you can hunt buffalo and elephant and plains game...or keep your .375 H&H Magnum and do the same with it...the .375 H&H Magnum has enough penetration for a frontal brain shot on an elephant as well as a side brain shot and a heart shot...you can upgrade to a 350 gn premium bullet as well in your .375 caliber...no reason why you need to buy another rifle ...use that money to hunt more trophy animals on your hunt...as pointed out the 404 Jeffery is too expensive as well as the .416 Rigby..use that money to hunt a tuskless elephant ...

Rum Runner

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Tanzania
.416 Rigby and be done with it...

cem rona ergin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
south africa,russia,turkey
Trying different calibers is just like hunting different species.. ask yourself do you need to hunt a buffalo? ..whatever answer you come up with will also answer your question about needing another different caliber rifle .. hunting in Africa is all about new experiences.. it is not just the species but also the equipment that you use ..

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Popcorn ready?

Are you talking about a real 416, as in 416 Rigby and not a pretender?
Are you referring the caliber that has a case capacity far too large for today's powders, requires a huge action, and requires 25 more grains of powder than neccessary to push a 400gr bullet at 2400 fps? :A Stirring:

V.Veritas

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Canada, Namibia, South Africa
So, how did you make it so far?
Do you crave a .404 and two .416 yet?

K E Johnson

AH veteran
Reaction score
{where Rooster Cogburn lost his eye in True Grit}
Media
Member of
Endowment Member NRA
Hunted
United States, Canada
Are you referring the caliber that has a case capacity far too large for today's powders, requires a huge action, and requires 25 more grains of powder than neccessary to push a 400gr bullet at 2400 fps? :A Stirring:

No, I think he is talking about the vaunted, historic, and beloved .416 Rigby............(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vudigital

Latest profile posts

NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg
Global Rescue - Worldwide Emergency Evacuation & Field Rescue, Anytime Anywhere

global-rescue.jpg
Special 10% Off On Taxidermy For AfricaHunting Members 2021

taxidermy-in-texas.jpg
TROPHY SHIPPERS - You Enjoy Your Hunt, We'll Get Your Trophies Home

hunting-trophy-shipper.jpg