Talk me out of a 416

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by ufg8r93, Jun 24, 2019.

1. ufg8r93

ufg8r93 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    USA: GA, FL, SD, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, UK
    I'm just back from my second plains game safari in SA and already planning my next trip. It will be for buff and (four of) the tiny ten in Moz. About 90% sure I've picked the outfitter after meeting the two finalists at DSC this year that I'd researched. Guessing that buff will be on my list a lot going forward. Does anybody only hunt buff once?!?

I have a 375 H&H that I shoot pretty well. It's a CZ with the Aramid stock, and I've had loads of work done to it to get it exactly like I wanted - slicked up for perfect feeding, Timney trigger, good 3 position safety, cerakote. It's comfortable to shoot. It's plenty accurate with factory ammo, and I haven't even started handloading for it.

But when I was in SA in 2017 I tagged along for a couple of buff hunts. One was shot with a 300 grain slug from a 375 , while the second was shot with a 400 grain 416 slug. The reactions were pretty different and got me thinking about a 416 for buff.

So, talk me out of a 416. 375 is plenty of gun for buffalo, right? Sure it is. But would it be your first choice for buff? I need a new rifle/caliber like I need another hole in my head.

2. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    Well, you have come to the absolute wrong spot to be talked out of a new gun! Sure a 375 will work just fine but, a moped will also get you to a grocery store but wouldn’t you rather take your truck? I love the 375, own quite a few of them including the Aramid CZ you have, but also own several 416’s and love them too. 300 grain bullet is good, 400 is better and 500 is delicious and a 600 grainer is just talking dirty!
    Honestly if you shoot the 375 good, use it. If you want a new rifle, buy it and tell your wife about the guy you know that got attacked by a rabid buffalo that he tried to kill with a 375. Odds are she won’t fact check your story and who would want their hubby pounded by a rabid buff? Well besides the ones I’ve been married to, they would have paid good money to see it!
    Cheers,
    Cody

3. BnC 04

BnC 04 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
    Your asking the wrong crowd when it comes to reasons to NOT buy a new rifle....Great caliber, heavier obviously...of course my vote is to go ahead and pick one up.

35bore, WAB, K-man and 4 others like this.

4. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Nope not going to do it! Buy the 416!

35bore, WAB, 1dirthawker and 3 others like this.

5. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Nope! Won't talk you out of it and don't want to. Your experience of watching the two different bullets on buff is probably not enough to form a scientific comparison but I've seen the same thing, in a way. Still not hundreds as would be required for an objective analysis. I watched a buff take off after a face on between-the-shoulders hit with a 300 gr bonded 375 at about 50 yards.... never to be seen again. I have no idea if a tougher bullet would have been better... maybe an A Frame or TSX or CPS or even if a good 400 gr bullet out of a 416 of some variety would have been better? will never know. But it made me wonder and give it thought.

I've owned and used both and my favorite is the 416 Rem Mag. I sold the last 375 I had years ago. Not that the 375 is bad or won't do the job but one particular 416 was so accurate and so reliable that no need for others in that category. Matter of fact I used a PH's 375 for a bunch of meat and cull PG (mostly wildebeest, zebra and broken horn eland) last year with no issues. I've used my 416 for both DG and PG and it seems about as good it gets in terms of a balance of accuracy, range and relative power for DG. I can say with certainty it was not overkill on one occasion with one particular eland bull- a simple anecdote I know but it seemed to indicate to me how tough eland can be. The 416 of course will have just a touch more recoil than the 375.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019

6. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    Mmmm...375...think I have heard of it....:whistle::D....but Of course you need a 416 .....and of course it will only be the Rigby as the others aren't proper... (y):D

7. MMAL

MMAL GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
    Going one step farther. I own .375h&h. But bought a double in 500/416 for my buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe last year. Did a great job on the buffalo but I have a .458 Lott on order. If you have a .375. Why not think about going two steps up, not just one!

8. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    Let’s see....

I own a 375 H&H...

Decided to hunt buffalo this year.. so I built a 416....

No.. you’ll get no support from me... buy the new rifle!

:)

9. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I have only killed 4 buffalo with a .375 and 300 gr bullets - but all four of those were decisively dead. I also own a .404 and a 500/416. But, I’m pretty sure my next bull will be taken with a 375 as well. Certainly buy .40 class rifle and use one if you wish. But you will be deciding not to use the world’s most versatile cartridge for hunting Africa when you do.

10. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    I’m NOT gonna talk you out of a .416. First of all, you ALWAYS need a new rifle. Seriously... I used a .416 Ruger on the buff in my avatar. One shot thru the heart, it went 30 yds and game over.
    In my opinion, although I’ve never used one on a buff, the .375 is fine for buffalo, the same way a .270 is fine for elk. It feel it will do the job, but not in an overwhelming manner. I’m prefer something that begins with a 4 but wouldn’t hesitate to use a .375 on a buff.
    Just a side note, my second rifle on the buff safari was a .375 as I wanted whatever rifle I had in my hands to be adequate for buff.

11. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Well that depends, if your worth more dead than alive.

12. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Once you own a 375, it's never about need anymore! It's only about want!
    That said, all of the people in the know seem to think of the 40 cal rifles as "Buffalo Rifles". So, any of the 416s should give you a bit more horsepower without a huge amount of added recoil.
    I've used a 375 H&H with great success on 3 water buff in Australia. Load it with a 300gr Barnes TSX and you will be set.
    I've also used a 416 Rem Mag with 400gr Swifts for the single Cape Buffalo I've taken so far. Great results with it as well.
    It's all about shot placement.

larry4831, CoElkHunter, K-man and 3 others like this.

13. K-man

K-man AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
    You don't NEED a reason to buy a .416. BUT if you shoot your .375 well, just take it and use it. Put the 300 grain where it belongs and you will be fine. Use the money for your taxidermy or another safari. Or buy another gun and enjoy it, just make sure you shoot it well before you take it along.

14. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    No, won't talk you out of it. You need a .416 Rigby!

15. Ed Hawkins

Ed Hawkins AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF, DU, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, USA
    Nope, I wouldn’t try. I love my 416. I have the Winchester MDL 70 Safari with a 1-6 Leupold VX-6. Very accurate, and recoil isn’t excessive. Mine is headed to Zimbabwe in two months for Buff.

16. Dirtdart

Dirtdart SILVER SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member SCI, Benefactor NRA, NMLRA.
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia
    Life without a .416 or a .404?(n)

17. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Exactly.

There you go.

Buy the Rigby and you won't look back.

18. Bill116

Bill116 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    US: NY, PA, Alaska, Texas, Colorado,Kentucky, Ohio, CanadaL Ontario, Quebec: South Africa
    I am confused here. You came to this crowd to talk you OUT of purchasing another rifle. That is so funny. This group here will convince you that you need a 2 gun battery for your next safari.
    But we do mean well. As Mr. Potterfield says in his commercial, "how many guns does one man need.... " you can NEVER have too many. Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.

19. cls

cls AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
    No chance of that happening. Don't have much experience other than one buff with a loaner 416 Rigby which dropped the buff with one shot. Bought one of my own when I got home.

Nicholas Barcomb likes this.

20. ve7poi

ve7poi AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member SCI
    Hunted:
    British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
    Nope not going to do it buy a 404 Jeffery

IvW likes this.