SOUTH AFRICA: Lion Hunt With DE KLERK SAFARIS September 24 To 28, 2021

Waidmannsheil Frederik! What a cat and excellent shooting! Your lifelong dream coming true! Congratulations!

It is always special when you get to fulfill a life long dream

Thanks for sharing, a great read and well done!

Well done Frederik.
It was some of the fastest shooting with a 458 Lott that I have seen and all 3 shots connected, even the running shots. You obviously practise a lot with big bore guns.

The article was also well written. I like your writing style and attention to detail.
I myself is a perfectionist and like to pay meticulous attention to the fine detail so I really enjoyed reading your article.

I am glad you chose us to make your lifelong dream come true.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Thank you Hans.
Really missing your place every day making plans making plans. :LOL:

Part 3,

I forgot to mention in part 1 that when I wanted to check the 6.5 at 200 meters we had some traffic at the shooting range. Two giraffe decided to walk an extra slow walk at around 300 meters down the range and interupted our shooting.

So we headed back to camp after the lion for a very well deserved lunch and some celebration and a few cold ones. I was becide myself just could not believe that I even worried if we will connect with the lion before Boela and Swys would leave. Heidi, did an excellent lunch again with a wide spread on the table. Reliving and talking the hunt over the table was fun and I was so glad that I could share this life experience with good friends and people.

With the pressure off and me only to leave the Tuesday morning we had Sunday afternoon and the whole Monday left and Hans still wanting more warthogs for staff.
There was no rush to head off early again and after a well deserved rest where I relived the moment the whole time we headed off to property next door owned by Hiedie and her husband Andre. Apparently the steenbuck and duiker numbers where higher. On the way we found more cheetah tracks.

We entered the property and not far off spotted our fist duiker and some kudu. Spotted some warthogs but they were quickly out fo range and into the long grass. Then we spotted a steenbuck ram and without thinking too hard we knew this was the best ram spotted over the last few days and we got off the cruiser. The ram didnt go too far and was feeding just inside the grass but some of his outline could be seen. Range wasn't far about 60 meters I settled the crosshair double checking where his head was and fired my last round of 6.5. I lost the steenbuck in the recoil and thought he dropped on the spot.

Frikkie told me no he ran off to the left I was confused sure my shot was good how did this small animal run off but he did. Frikkie took lead and wasn't gone far when he spotted the steenbuck motionless. Shot was good but didnt break any shoulders and with the adrenaline he managed about 30 meters of dead run at full speed.

IMG-5199.jpg

IMG-E5201.jpg

The steenbuck had seen better days he had a lot of grey heir on his body and had secondary growth on the horns very chuffed that we waited it out untill we found him.

So my 6.5x55 was now reduntant as ammo for it was finished but Frikkie had his 300 win mag ready for any more animals and trophies. So after an excellent hunting day finishing with splendid steenbuck I gave Swys the hunting seat, as he was looking for a nice duiker and if we were to spot warthogs they would also be taken.

The cruiser has seats at the back and I was seated next to Boela and was a very content hunter and enjoying the backseat. We were closing in a cattle kraal with a waterhole when spotting a lone baboon male running at high speed he was just too fast for us and Swys could not get a shot off and he dissapeared into the evening.

Not far from the waterhole we spotted a duiker male and all of us called it that is was good ram and Swys had to do this call himself to shoot or not. Swys decided to take him an the duiker went down to the shot. Also a very good mature male and with the fading light we could take some great photos.

IMG-20210928-WA0004.jpg

Last trophy of the hunt Swys with a super grey duiker at last light with Frikkies 300 win mag.

So in a short space of time we got two of the tiny 10 trophies in less that one hour from each other to end the time with Swys and Boela at De Klerk safaris. We went past the airstrip as we wanted to see the airstrip and it is a good one well looked after so if anybody wanted to skip the 7 hour drive from the airport they are more than welcome to fly in and Hans said that they have a good relationship with a company who regurlaly fly clients in and out.

Obviously when we got back at camp the fire was roaring and we celebrated the lion and two small trophies with some good drinks and whiskey. Food was again supberb and at 10 am Boela and Swys called it a night as they were planning to hit the road again at 5am. Think I went to be bed around 1am but it was good fun.

5am. Next morning I got awaken rudely by Boela as they wanted to say goodbye waking me up while I was stalking lions in my dream. :mad:
Quick goodbye and wishing safe travels decided to try and catch up on my lion hunt dream and woke up at 7am. Today would even be more relaxing as Sunday as on the menu was warthogs only.
Had a good breakfast with Frikkie and Heidi and off we went to find rations.

We bumped into the buffalo that was hit by the older bull, we saw him while he decided to lay down and was concerned and we drove closer. He was not too worried about us being so close and probarbly resting up and having thought s of revenge while snapping a few photos. He sure will become a good bull one day.

IMG-20210927-WA0013.jpg

You can see all the scrathes and marks on him at least it wasnt bleeding anymore.

From there we drove to a waterhole when warthogs were spotted I grabbed Frikkie's 300 win mag and aimed for a side headshot. Fired and thought I had missed as pig did not drop on the spot. We got to the spot and found specs of blood and we followed it we didn't go too far about 100 meters when warthog was spotted and I dropped it with frontal head shot.

It was not the same warthog took some quick photos marked the spot and off we went on the wounded warthog tracks again.

20210927-095139.jpg

Wrong warthog but still didnt go to waste.

I was not very happy with myself and should have never gone for the headshot especially with an unfamiliar rifle so we went for about an hour Adam and Chris sometimes struggling with the tracks as the blood got less and less. The pig heading straight for the border of the neighbouring farm without stopping. Must have been a shot through the sinus. :mad:
Never found the pig and I was not happy and we returned to the downed pig and went to drop it off to be skinned.

The day before Andre set out cages to trap the cheetah's and we got word one was trapped and they also found a dead Lechwe trophy ram caught and eaten by the cheetah. Hans communicated with nature conservation to come and collect the caged cheetah so it could be relocated in a nature reserve. They just answered we will get there when we can as they didnt have money for fuel.

By the time we got back for lunch cheetah no.2 was in the other cage really disheartening. Farmers and game farmers are being hit hard by losses in livestock and game and instead of killing outright and keeping quiet do the noble thing of capturing these cheetahs and then Nature Conservation is not in a state to help out. This as a result of corruption an no money in their coffers.

I will leave this above as is maybe Hans could tell us the rest of the story as I left the next morning.

After lunch we took it easy again and warthogs was on the menu again. We didnt see much but spotted the injured bull on his feet again which was good news and decided to spend the last 2 hours of daylight close to the waterhole weere I wounded the warthog maybe to return or finding more.

It was a fine few hours listening to the Kalahari winding down afer another hot day and night sounds starting. No warthogs came in except a neat trophy boar on our left that we left he did however figured out it was not the best place to be. Also had a big herd of waterbuck come in to drink joined by a large group of zebra.

Then a jackal I struggled to find him as he had mage and his striking colour did not stand out. I aimed and was sure of the shot and Bam, went over him. I quickly passed the rifle to Frikkie if he could get another shot at him to rather take it as I don't want to miss again especially on a jackal. The jackal stood still for a moment and Frikkie also missed. The jackal went on and Frikkie finding a gap between the bushes finally dropped him at about 250 meters.

We drove over to have a look at the jackal and Frikkie took a photo and we left him for the vultures as he didnt look healthy with the mange.

That was it my hunt was complete and we headed to camp for my last night feast at the camp. We arrived at camp and another professional hunter was settling in to await his client flying in the next morning.

Evening was again superb around the fire and I knew I would miss this place and was already making plans to come back. Slept well and and woke up early to packs all my gear.

Had a good hearty breakfast again and then settled my bill with Hans.

One note I must make and I really appreciatted from beginning to the end everything was very clear in black and white when it came to the rates and fees. There was no funny extras added on the bill and every cent was accounted for. With me shooting an extra animal I told Hans I didnt have enough for tips for everyoine but sent money when I got back home for that. There was no issue with the arragement for it.

Once again thank you Hans for De Klerk safaris and his team for a superb hunt that I will never forget and a lifelong dream that was materialized. Everything went better than expected and I can really recommend the Kalahari hospitality. You will be in very good hands when choosing this outfit.

https://www.dksafaris.com/hunting-safaris.html

IMG-20210929-WA0010.jpg

Dewclaws from my lion.

IMG-20210927-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20211001-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210926-WA0033.jpg

IMG-20210924-WA0022.jpg

Thank you for reading and following.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for sharing @Frederik ! This was an emotional ride!

5am. Next morning I got awaken rudely by Boela as they wanted to say goodbye waking me up while I was stalking lions in my dream. :mad:
Oh dear Princess, I will make a note of that for next time....

Congratulations once again my friend, and thank you for taking the time to write this detailed report. It was great to relive this hunt through your writing.

@Hans de Klerk, and Frikkie - thank you for your great hospitality, we appreciate it tremendously.
We will most definitely see our footprints next to each other in Kalahari sands soon again.

IMG_20210925_152200_edit_192273535242536.jpg

Last edited:
Boela, please send or post a picture of you and me with the lion I see I have none of those on my phone or camera.

Then they will see why I wrote rude awakening :LOL:

Congratulations on a very successful hunt. Thanks for the report, enjoyed.

Picking up my skulls and skin from. Hans hopefully today or tomorrow.
You have to have a transport permit to move the lion trophies but you can only apply after the lion was hunted. Makes no sense but we are here and its almost on the way to the taxidermy.

Picked up my salted trophies from Hans and had a nice quick chat.
Lion skin neatly packed in a square in the bag and the skulls. Tomorrow or Friday I will visit the taxidermy with them.
20211020_132430.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Frederik, you are so lucky my friend to be able to take your lion home. I wished we could bring our lions home, it's a shame how the ignorance and misinformation of so few can persuade law makers into changing the law. :mad::mad::mad:

@Frederik, you are so lucky my friend to be able to take your lion home. I wished we could bring our lions home, it's a shame how the ignorance and misinformation of so few can persuade law makers into changing the law. :mad::mad::mad:
That is very sad as it was quite fun to have to say I have a lion in my house, today.
Although it will go to thge taxidermist tomorrow of Froday depending on my work.

I really hope these stupid idiots who decided the laws without proper concultation gets their heads screwed on correct one day.
Somewhere I think it was Lifeform Taxidermy said they can make a replica skull that looks real somehting you might look into.

I agree with you! Yes, and unfortunately/fortunately that is the route I'm heading. These f*ckers cannot take away the experience and memories. I'll hunt even if I can't bring it home. I'll take a ton of pictures and call it a day. :)

PARA45 the experience is everything...….to me anyway. I went my hunt with the full realization that I wouldn't be able to bring any part of my lion home. as much as I would dearly love to at least have the skull, it was the experience to hunt the apex predator of Africa and a chance to visit that beautiful part of the world that I wanted. it was an opportunity of a lifetime for me and I'm so glad I took advantage of it.
The De Klerks, Frikkie, Heidi, Andrees, Chris and the rest of their excellent staff made the whole experience even better than we expected. They treat you like family and not just clients. You could not hope to meet any better people. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be going back in 2023, God willing. I'm sure you will feel the same way when you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg