So, I Was In The Loading Room Today...

I just finished reading this entire post. What a beautiful No.1, did you get it on Gunbroker? I'm an infant No. 1 junky, I currently own only 3 and of course I'd like to get a few more. (y)(y)

I just finished reading this entire post. What a beautiful No.1, did you get it on Gunbroker? I'm an infant No. 1 junky, I currently own only 3 and of course I'd like to get a few more. (y)(y)

I think there might be three different No 1 rifles pictured in this thread.

One (450/400 NE) was purchased here from @farrokhrt. The other two (both 30-40 Krag) were purchased from a No 1 collector of note, who is up in the Gainesville, TX area.

The No 1 has been getting under my skin for about 45 years now...I have not owned that many (maybe 10) but I always like to have at least one to admire and shoot!

So, I was in the loading room working over some 32 Special cases (for the pre-64 M94 that my Father bought for me posthumously) and I heard the doorbell ring.

My head jerked up with a snap...I almost hurt myself!

I have three things on the way...a set of Alaska Arms QD rings, 500 450gr Barnes .458 TSX, and 250 new cases...all for the .450 Dakota that should also be on the way early next week.

I bound downstairs (as only a 61 year old can bound) and peek out on the porch and instantly get a rush of adrenaline!

This is what was waiting for me:

IMG_0471.jpg

Oh baby.

Bullets and brass and rings, oh my!
Now I just need a rifle and dies!
Hopefully waiting the time, it flies!
God willing I hunt with it before I die!

Your going to be a busy man!

I see a sore shoulder in the coming days:eek:!

Members guess how much difference there will be in the average velocity between the two lots. PM your answer to me...don't post it here or people will be able to bracket themselves to increase their chances.

Sent my answer via WhatsApp

Got to like the neck on that 450 D

I'm not happy unless I've got a half dozen projects going on at once. On the floor to the right of the bench is 200 empty cases of 270WSM. I need to ship the sizing die out with three brass to have the die adjusted. Once I resize the brass I can begin to work up loads. In the center of the bench are my 338 dies and reloads. Waiting for the last box of 236 bullets to arrive so I can reload them. On top of that I've got 2 boxes of inexpensive 338 bullets that need to be loaded to be used for practice rounds. In the corner I've got nine targets that need to be framed so they can be used for target practice. Have the staple gun and staples just need the framing wood. In the center of the room are a half dozen boxes that need to be emptied from the move. I have no idea where to put the stuff. THe closet is full of reloaded shells, looks like the shelves at Cabela's I've got 101 different types of cartridges all lined up waiting to be shot. The top shelf is gun powder; I know there a limit as to how much you can have, I hope it's at least 50 pounds, unfortunately I'm over that limit as well.

I've got to purge the shelves and go through all of the bullets. I know I've got a couple thousand bullets that need to be sold. I could spend a week in the reloading room just to organize. The drawer that the primers are stored in is full. Unfortunately there are some sizes that I'm missing. Time to make a list of what I've got so I'll know what I need to order. I guess we can say that the reloading room is one massive project in process.

Africa is seven months away, I'ts time to make a list of what needed for the trip and focus on those items. Going to be a busy summer. The federal express guy stops by two-three times a week with orders from Midway.

That's not a shop. That's a damn factory! Congrats, just the same.

Tim,

Does your reloading room look like this?

View attachment 272716

Actually....no!

I am not a gadget guy. And I loaded ammo this weekend on the same RCBS Jr. press that I have been using since 1975 (I have another barely used one under the bench, waiting its turn).

I had to buy a larger press once I started loading the big guys, but it is still a single-stage.

Just like Whatsuuup, I steadfastly refuse to venture into the dark realm of progressive presses! :)

What I lack in gadgets, I make up for with primers, powder, bullets, brass and lead. :)

For example, a buddy recently wanted to leap-frog onto my Powder Valley order. One of the items he requested was 1,000 Winchester Large Rifle Primers.

Powder Valley only had 3,000 in stock, so rather than take 33% of their inventory, I sold him 1,000 out of my stash of 19,000 Winchester Large Rifle. I have over 150,000 primers of all sizes from Federal, Winchester, CCI, Wolf and Tula.

I just ordered the RCBS dies, Lee Factory crimp die, shell holder, and 50 286 gr TSX’s for my 9.3x74r double. I have accumulated quite a bit of brass since I got the rifle (the fun way by shooting it!!!!) now I have to figure out what powder to try. It’s regulated with S&B 285gr softs. I’m thinking of starting with H414 for no other reason than it sounds like a good idea because I have no f’n idea where to start and I found some load data for that.

Also gotta try and find some H414 locally too:E Hmmm:

I have about 20 pounds of H414/WW760. Come get some!

One thing though...don't try loading the H414 down too far, in that long powder column.

I found that if I went below 72gr of it in the 450/400 I would get hangfires...even with magnum primers and a filler. So long as I keep the charges up near 90% of max I was ok. H414 seems to be a little more difficult to get going vs your extruded powders.

Not a lot of fun to have hangfires in a larger rifle...although they really do teach you concentration and follow through. :)

I still have about 20 of my 50 hangfire loads to shoot. I figure you can't learn a lesson if you avoid the consequences!

Personally, I'd start with IMR 4350 or 4831. You can get a good, high load density with these bulkier powders. Helps ensure reliable ignition. I'd use Federal 215 primers, as well.

All of this, coming from a guy who has never loaded the 9.3x74. But I think the principles translate.

Tim

I have about 20 pounds of H414/WW760. Come get some!

One thing though...don't try loading the H414 down too far, in that long powder column.

I found that if I went below 72gr of it in the 450/400 I would get hangfires...even with magnum primers and a filler. So long as I keep the charges up near 90% of max I was ok. H414 seems to be a little more difficult to get going vs your extruded powders.

Not a lot of fun to have hangfires in a larger rifle...although they really do teach you concentration and follow through. :)

I still have about 20 of my 50 hangfire loads to shoot. I figure you can't learn a lesson if you avoid the consequences!

Personally, I'd start with IMR 4350 or 4831. You can get a good, high load density with these bulkier powders. Helps ensure reliable ignition. I'd use Federal 215 primers, as well.

All of this, coming from a guy who has never loaded the 9.3x74. But I think the principles translate.

Tim
I didnt think about IMR 4350 and I think I have 4 or 5 lbs of it. If I remember correctly, I bought some for loading the 375.
On the primers, why that primer in particular? I’m terrified of Federal primers. From day 1 I was told only win or CCI’s so that’s all I’ve ever used. Maybe I’m being a vaheen but I was always told anything other than CCI and Win’s were dangerous to work with.

Sooooo quicks search on IMR’s website and for the 9.4x74 shooting a 286 gr bullet it’s showing a CCI 200 LR primer.
Is there a particular benefit to the Federal primer or is it a preference? Like I said I have zero experience with Federal or Remington primers.

On the primers, why that primer in particular? I’m terrified of Federal primers.
The Lee Manual made me afraid of them too. He makes them sound very temperamental. I am interested in know if @tarbe finds an advantage with them too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg