So, I Was In The Loading Room Today...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tarbe, Jun 19, 2018.

1. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Yip, that’s where I learned to reload.

2. tarbe

tarbe AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa (Zimbabwe very soon!)
    The Federal 215 was developed to get reliable ignition in the big Weatherby cases. It is generally considered to be the hottest primer available.

Now, hotter isn't always better...but when you have a long powder column like that 9.3, my rule of thumb is "more fire". And try to keep your powder burning rate slow enough that you get the case mostly full.

If you have a load for the 9.3 that calls for a standard primer, you can sub the magnum in, just drop your starting load a couple percent.

You are going to start low and work up anyway...so there is no danger. And these big guns aren't shooting MOA....so any possible issue with accuracy won't be noticed. Reliable ignition is a lot more important than having your double shoot 2 inch groups vs 2.25 inches at 50 yards! :)

I don't know where this idea comes from regarding Federal primers, that they are somehow more dangerous than other primers...I have been using them for nearly 45 years and I still have 9 fingers and one eye!

Just kidding...

Ridgewalker, DavidC, Royal27 and 3 others like this.

3. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    I have found federal primers anything but temperamental. The 215 are a hotter primer than than either the Win or CCI. I load CCI in about everything but my magnums with large appetites.

Pheroze and gizmo like this.

4. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Lmao. Dude I so want to spend some time in a reloading room with you to get some wisdom.
    Lemme ask you this too, I have always used a standard beam scale. I’ll use a scoop to get close and trickle in the last red c%*t hair to get a perfect weight which I like but it takes forever! Recently I’ve flirted with the idea of getting either a Hornady, RCBS, or Lyman auto powder gizmos. Have you used one and are they worth a damn? I’d still throw a light charge and trickle the last little bit in but..... don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze. I’ve also had my eye on the RCBS bench primer too and don’t know which I want first. I still use an single stage press and prefer the feel of priming on that. I have a hand primer which I like having it as a separate stage in the process disconnected from the press but don’t like the “feel” of it.

5. tarbe

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    My Nosler manual has loads for the 9.3x74R with IMR 4350 and both the 250gr BT and the 286gr PT.

250gr starts at 64gr (2,411fps) and max is 68gr (2,553fps)
    286gr starts at 60.6gr (2,253fps) and max is 64.5gr (2,398fps)

Double check my numbers!

The max loads are 97 to 99% loading density, meaning very little air space and powder crammed right up against the flash hole.

They are using the Fed 210 for these loads. Always start low, and in your case (with a double) you might want to start a couple grains below the start loads above.

Tim

Ridgewalker and gizmo like this.

6. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    You da man. I’ve got to get all my loading stuff set up and get my books out. I love to reload but just haven’t had time in last few years to load much. That issue is going to be resolved soon as I get everything set up.

7. tarbe

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Regarding the scales, I am a Luddite. I still use an old RCBS beam scale myself.

I will probably go to the grave using a beam scale, a single stage press, and a phone without Whatsuuup.

I do use this for priming: Bald Eagle

IMG_0235.jpg

Timbo and gizmo like this.

8. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    Gizmo,
    I recently went to a Hornady auto thrower, I absolutely love it. It grows another charge as soon as you set the pan back on the scale. It is an awesome feature. I set mine low and trickle to perfect. They even have a trickle button that works great! Haven’t used the others.
    I’ve tried about every priming gizmo out there, the Lyman is the best one I’ve found as far as the hand type go. The bench mounted take up to much room on the bench IMO

Ridgewalker and gizmo like this.

9. tarbe

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    You made a funny!

gizmo likes this.

10. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    That’s awesome! I’m just nervous because of all the mixed reviews I see on those things.
    The space problem isn’t an issue anymore! I’ve got booquoo room.

11. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    @tarbe I’ll check that out. The RCBS one looked very simple and well built but that one does too.

12. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Soooo the seating depth adjustment looks awesome but loading the primers with a tweezer (that’s what the pic showed anyway) would drive me f’n crazy. My hands shake waaaay to bad for that shit.

Timbo and Bullthrower338 like this.

13. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    Get the RCBS powder dispenser and dont look back. It is a huge time saver and very accurate.

Rob404, Browning325 and gizmo like this.

14. PARA45

PARA45 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
    Gizmo, I have the RCBS Charge Master Combo, and love it. I've had it for at least 10 years or so, and no issues at all. This thing is extremely accurate, and what I'd would consider "fast". By the time you are done dumping the powder, and seating a new bullet on the case, the CMC has already dropped another charge on the pan. This obviously may take a bit longer if you are dumping large quantities of powder onto the scale.

Browning325 likes this.

15. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Pierre van der Walt's book African Dangerous Game cartridges lists 30 different powders for the
    9.3 x 74 R. H414 was not one of them. Send me a PM and I'll provide you with some of the loads he suggests.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Ridgewalker, gizmo and tarbe like this.

16. tarbe

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I actually broke an RCBS bench-mounted priming tool after about 20,000 cycles. Pot metal just gave out and cracked.

17. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

The RCBS Charge master is terrific. Cuts loading time in half. Throws an accurate charge while your seating the bullet from the first load. I would never go back to a scale and scoop after purchasing this tool.

Browning325 and gizmo like this.

18. tarbe

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Appear to be lots of happy RCBS Chargemaster users!

Timbo, PARA45 and gizmo like this.

19. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I’d say 20k cycles is pretty dang good for a $100 piece of equipment

Ridgewalker likes this.

20. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    You are awesome! PM inbound