AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Recently picked up a nice Chapuis 8x57rimmed double. It was regulated with a scope and the irons.
I took it to the range and need to adjust the irons as it hits 4in high and 4 in left at 50. The scope also hits the same POI. The rifle is regulated VERY well with Norma ammo and I am happy with it as I have been looking for a small double for a while. My question for those with a scoped double is that I would like to change the scope from an entry level to a much better scope. The new scope weights 1 oz more, I don't see where changing the scope would cause any problems but all my experience with my other double have been with irons. So those with experience with a scope on a double have you changed out scopes and were there any gottcha's I need to look for? Looking to use it on nocturnal kritters (Small cats) next year. will take the 450/400 for bigger stuff.

Any new stress point - scope weight, ring pressure on the bases, etc, can cause a change. However, because your rifle was already equipped with a scope and because you are, I assume, going to do nothing to change the existing bases, I would bet you will be fine. Sounds like a great rifle, and it is a wonderful caliber. It is, of course, the German all purpose hunting round - and like the '06 armed Germany's Army's in both world wars. It will work on those night beasts, and also be a far better choice for any PG than the .450/400. Congrats on the rifle.

Congratulations on another double Dave. You are surely increasing your doubles during the time I've known you. Sorry I can't give you any advice, but good luck with the choice of the new scope!

@Red Leg Yea the intent is to just take one scope out of the rings while mounted on the rifle and put the new scope in place and torque the screws back down. I know the doubles can be contrary beasts. I have been looking for a while for a 7 or 8 MM rimmed double. Nice to have a small med bore. Attached is a pic.
8x57JRS.jpg

Wow man, that is a gorgeous double!!!

Nice rifle Dave! Glad you got it!

Very nice!

That is a beautiful rifle AZDave, I can see why you wanted to show it off. I hope you are not planning to re-stock it any time soon. LOL

:E Drooling:

@Shootist43 Well is has a decent bit of firewood for a stock but I think I will keep it:rolleyes: The LOP is 14 3/4 to the front trigger. My normal LOP is 15 1/4 So at some point I will most likely put a recoil pad in place to get a longer LOP. But since my plan is for night kritters, I will most likely have an layer or two on, so will fit correctly for the little colder outerwear till after next years safari.

Love it! That is a purdy piece of timber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you