Sabatti Safari Double Rifle

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all!

I've been interested in a double rifle for some time, basically ever since reading about Jim Corbett and his famous tiger hunts. I recently came across a Sabatti Safari double in 450/400 which was the caliber Mr. Corbett used. The asking price is 4k and the seller says that it shoots 2 inch groups at 50 yards with hornady dgx ammo. I was wondering what your thoughts were? On the one hand, that's a 450/400 for $4k, which is probably the cheapest I'll ever see it. On the other hand I know Sabatti made some Cabelas doubles which didn't have the best reputation. Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Hello all!

I've been interested in a double rifle for some time, basically ever since reading about Jim Corbett and his famous tiger hunts. I recently came across a Sabatti Safari double in 450/400 which was the caliber Mr. Corbett used. The asking price is 4k and the seller says that it shoots 2 inch groups at 50 yards with hornady dgx ammo. I was wondering what your thoughts were? On the one hand, that's a 450/400 for $4k, which is probably the cheapest I'll ever see it. On the other hand I know Sabatti made some Cabelas doubles which didn't have the best reputation. Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you in advance!

If it’s one of those older Cabelas models, run away. Regulation was not done properly and you don’t want to be anchored with it even at $4K.

If it’s one of those older Cabelas models, run away. Regulation was not done properly and you don’t want to be anchored with it even at $4K.

Thank you for that advice! Is there any way I could check to see if it is one of the Cabelas models? Any designation or something that I could ask for a picture of?

If the muzzle(s) looks like a dremel tool was grinding away on them then that's NOT a good sign.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 5.58.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 5.58.31 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 414
Thank you for that advice! Is there any way I could check to see if it is one of the Cabelas models? Any designation or something that I could ask for a picture of?

I would have to think the serial number could be used to track when the rifle was made. If it’s during those years awhile back, then walk.

Get the S/N and check with Sabatti would be my next step.

I can tell you I saw a used one at a Cabelas in Phoenix. On that one, it was damn obvious to this total neophyte that it was one of the bad ones. This was in their Gun Library. I just looked at the salesman and grinned. He knew I knew what to look for. We put it away with no more words spoken.

I can tell you I saw a used one at a Cabelas in Phoenix. On that one, it was damn obvious to this total neophyte that it was one of the bad ones. This was in their Gun Library. I just looked at the salesman and grinned. He knew I knew what to look for. We put it away with no more words spoken.

So, just for fun, let's pretend that I am a total neophyte. What should I be looking for in general? If this sale isn't a good deal ( I asked for the s/n and some better pics of the barrels) I'd like some ideas of what to look for in the future.

So, just for fun, let's pretend that I am a total neophyte. What should I be looking for in general? If this sale isn't a good deal ( I asked for the s/n and some better pics of the barrels) I'd like some ideas of what to look for in the future.

If the crown of either barrel is not round or looks like it is slightly out of round it’s one that has been ground down to adjust the path of the bullet.
One I looked at some years ago at Cabelas actually had one barrel that looked like an egg not a circle!
I don’t know this for a fact but I was told that some of the early ones built specifically for Cabelas had C or CB at the beginning of the serial number.

The listed gun will go at $3500 I would bet. It’s an ejector gun, not an extractor if that makes a difference to you...

I’ve seen several extractor guns go for $4k lately..

Ejector guns had a $500 cheaper MSRP from the factory

I inquired a few days back on that same rifle. It is a CAB serial number gun, no box, but supposedly shoots well. I backed off from betting after I knew it was a cabelas gun. Even if the crown looked good, I figured I'd be plagued by those same questions if I tried selling it. I know many of those cabelas guns were ok and even the ken reworked guns are good, still didn't want to chance it.

If that seller would allow for test shots to take place to verify it does in fact group well, that would at least suffice. If it doesnt group as stated you're sitting on a 4k rifle that needs 1k plus of work to re-regulate.

Ya I'm not seeing the usual "egg" or obvious grinding marks.
As stated, if the seller allows test fire that may provide a little confidence for you but sure isn't a guarantee of not running into unseen issues.

Hello all!

I can’t speak for this particular rifle but am very familiar with Sabatti rifles and shotguns of just about every model. They are very good guns. Yes, Cabelas did have some rifles that were regulated here in the states and those were baaaad but that was the fault of those who “regulated” them. Cabelas had to buy back those that were crap and they went away. Obviously there is a likelihood that a few slipped through the cracks.
You could likely call IFGA and they could probably tell you who regulated the rifle and etc.... also if the seller will let you test fire it and it shoots well then problem solved. That is a very good price, certainly can’t buy a new one for that.

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately the rifle is nowhere near me and I doubt I could get the seller to agree to ship it out to me for a test run. I'm simply not that persuasive. This rifle is at a great price and I am sorely tempted to risk it... but I don't have 3.5k to throw away on a chance. I'm still trying to decide, but with the trophy crate disaster that I posted earlier I'm afraid my luck simply isn't running in my favor so far.

I don't know anything about double guns, but the muzzles and rib look like they have been hacksawed off and not polished at all. Looks like saw marks to me. Right or wrong?

May want to ask about the test fire, as I'm sure every interested buyer gas asked the same about it being a cabelas gun. Nothing wrong with the brand....just the chance of this particular time frame model needing more work.

When it comes to double rifles, you generally get what you pay for....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg