Sabatti Safari Double Rifle

cal pappas

Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For what it's worth, for a .450-400 3" I use two loads with a 400-grain Woodleigh soft nose: 80 grains of IMR 4831 if the old rifle was proved for 55 grains of cordite and 83 grains if proved for 60 grains of cordite. Large rifle magnum primer. 2-3 grains less if shooting a Woodleigh solid.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I find from reading this thread that the only sure way to get a double rifle that shoots worth a damn is to have it custom built. Pick your caliber, bullet and load, have it regulated for that load. Then go buy up all the bullets you can find for it so you have a lifetime supply and won't have to worry about feeding it for the rest of your life.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
I find from reading this thread that the only sure way to get a double rifle that shoots worth a damn is to have it custom built. Pick your caliber, bullet and load, have it regulated for that load. Then go buy up all the bullets you can find for it so you have a lifetime supply and won't have to worry about feeding it for the rest of your life.

It’s not quite that drastic.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Aaron Little is the name of the guy that, at least used to, re-regulate rifles.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 7.16.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 7.16.23 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 99

HushHog

AH member
Reaction score
I managed to get ahold of Ken Owen. He is still available to work. So I will be sending it off to him after my trip. If anyone else has a similar issue I recommend looking him up, and I'll post an update when I get the rifle back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calalaus

Latest profile posts

Rare Breed wrote on USMA84DAB's profile.
1631552006164.png
elkhunter77 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile.
Yes, I am interested in some A Frames to load, if they are the 300 grain or other that will work for Cape Buff. I need enough to work up a load and sight in, then carry over there
KKovar wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Wow, great response regarding the title of a thread and an amazing site.
Jerycmeach wrote on Bullet Safaris's profile.
I am interested in hearing about your wild lion hunts.
Daniel Cary wrote on Thomas Rutledge's profile.
Greetings Mr. Rutledge. My apologies for the latent reply, cell/email prohibited during working hours, apx 72 a week, yikes! I just wanted to thank you for keeping me in mind for possible 577 loads. I actually purchased a few rounds, however, the firearm is still on the fence at this point.
Many Thanks, again. Regards, Dan.