Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters

Dwight Beagle

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
US, Mexico and Argentina
Which reticle would you choose for big game hunting out to 350 yards max?

Last edited:
Plex. I’ve never felt comfortable with more detail in the sight picture

Dewald has a point about clutter. I use plex except on my 270 which has a series of lines to enable the distance “zero”.
The Swarovski takes some getting used to as to my way of thinking, it’s cluttered.
However it’s one of my rifles I’m taking to the Northern Territory to shoot wicked hogs.
The other rifle is my 375 H&H.

German #4. The heavy lines act almost like a fine open sight drawing the eye to the target and the aiming crosshairs. I also don’t think anything is quicker at low power in a normal scope.

Depends on the caliber. For flat-shooting rounds like my .270 or a smaller magnum where the MPBR is already over 300yds then I’d pick a duplex. If I was trying to extend the range of something not-so-flat-shooting or if I was primarily going to use heavy for caliber bullets in that rifle, I’d go with a BDC for simplicity’s sake. I don’t like a lot of mess in my reticle.

I voted duplex.. only because thats what all of my rifles currently wear..

out to 350, I dont see a whole lot of use for a BDC.. that range is easy enough to adjust for without having to grab and turn turrets (assuming I am shooting something suitable for those sorts of ranges like a 270 or my 7mm mag)... and mil dots make for a busy picture to look at for an optic that is just as likely to used at 50 yards as 350 yards (more likely in my personal situation)..

I've never actually looked through a scope with a #1 reticle... and while I've looked through several #4's, I've never owned or used one hunting..

So I went with what I most commonly use and am most comfortable with..

Voted duplex. But it’s all dependent on caliber and use. Personally I’m moving more and more to duplex with illuminated red dot. It helps a lot on dark colored animals, low light conditions, or spotlighting varmints. JMO

For shots out to 350 yards I prefer the BDC. I like the Nikon BDC recital with the spot on program, no torrits to adjust just a little memory work.

German 4, for the reasons Redleg stated.

German #4 with an illuminated centre dot.

Thick outer bars lead the eye to the centre finer cross, which has a tiny illuminated aiming point. The centre opening can be used to bracket a fast moving target for snap-shooting while the bold outer posts are easily visible against mottled shadow vegetation, even in poor light.

What distances do you normally shoot at? In Michigan the vast majority of my hunting shots are taken at under 100 yards. When shots present themselves at 200 yds. and more I'm uncomfortable. For those hunting opportunities with long shots likely, I use a Nikon scope with BDC. I normally hunt with the scope on 4 power. At longer ranges I switch the power setting and don't have to remember how much hold over to use. I'm taking 2 rifles to Africa in July. A 404 Jeffery sporting a 1.5-4x with a German #4 reticle and a 35 Whelen with a 3-9X Nikon scope with BDC. My plans are to put both rifles on the truck and grab the one most appropriate when the time comes.

#4 for the reasons listed above, but my personal limit is definitely less than 350 yards, probably closer to 200, at least for anything that might take a step while the bullet is in flight. But a BDC style reticle could be nice if it was one with very little clutter, just like a few small dots on the vertical line - that would be nice for the longer shots. And the scope should of course have the reticle in the first focal plane.

What distances do you normally shoot at? In Michigan the vast majority of my hunting shots are taken at under 100 yards.

Where I typically hunt in TX (South, North, and East), shots are almost always 125 yards or less.. In Virginia and West TN where I also hunt somewhat regularly theyre almost always 100 yards or less (not uncommon at all to take a 30-50 yard shot)..

Even at our property in Southern Colorado a shot past 200 yards would be very, very uncommon (maybe impossible).. The longest shooting lane I have there is along the top of a ridge, and it MIGHT stretch out 200 yards before hitting fairly heavy timber, but my guess is the longest possible shot is probably closer to 175.. (I'll have to pace it off the next time I am out there)..

There are some open plains areas on BLM land not too far from our So CO property where a 400+ shot at a pronghorn could be a possibility.. But I dont see me ever taking that kind of shot.. If I cant get within 200 yards of him, I honestly would rather pass on the opportunity and wait for the next one..

Its not that I wouldnt feel comfortable with my 7mm WSM at 400.. so much as I enjoy getting in as close as possible.. thats one of the best things about the hunt for me.. If I got busted trying to close the gap to a couple of hundred yards or less, then so be it.. I'll get him the next time..

I voted for duplex as that has served me well, both up close and at longer ranges. I hate clutter in a scope.
However, I recently looked thru a scope with the German #4. An illuminated version would make a great moderate to short range reticle.

I said 350 yards because I was trying to be all encompassing without going to extreme. I’ve taken one shot at an animal in my life that was over 300 yards, 330 +/- 15 yards. All my other shots have been less than 250 and the vast majority 200 or less.

I use and like the S&B A7 reticules (standard plex) at 8x for scottish hill reds. Never shot at 350, but 200-250 is pretty common and a 300yd shot isn't out of the question. Of course, I also use the same scope as my go to running boar competition solution at 55yds, so maybe I'm just stubborn...

On my first safari I looked through outfitters German no.4 and was sold instantly..When I got my new Model 70 in .300,I ordered a MeOpta 6x42 in No.4..I love that scope and with it shot my best hunting rifle group ever..About 1/4 " at a 100.

I'm with Red Leg on this one too. The reticle I chose for the Leupold 2.5-8 on my .375 is sort of a cross between the duplex and the German #4 it is called a post & duplex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.