I respect your decision as well, and I love the VX6 which I've taken to Africa several times. If the OP is concerned about wind holds, longer shots, etc I just prefer a mil/mil setup in some form, FFP with illum reticle.

I am just back from a safari in the Eastern Cape. I took an Nyala at 500 yards and an ostrich on the move at 410 yards. The Swaro binos combined with my Z8 scope on my R8 made it all quite easy.
I do need some help however. Now I am headed to AK for moose and I am trying to set up my .375 Ruger with Leupold VX6. The Swaro App only shows Swaro scopes. What do I do to program my scope and my load? I am unable to find this info anywhere.
Philip
@Tra3
Do you have the binoculars set up to give you a MOA reading below the yardage? I think that would be the simplest conversion (if I am understanding your question correctly) I myself feel like I need a tutorial on how to use the combo.
Now I am programming the ballistics info into the app, then selecting the rifle selection (of the 3 available) so I’ll dial the MOA based on the reading the binos give. This summer I never had to shoot past 180 yards so no dialing was done. I had better get the program exact quickly as I’ll be elk hunting in Idaho in less that a month.
I have been cross referencing what the binos indicate for MOA with the Ballistics AE app on my phone. They are consistent between the two (as would be expected, but it has been interesting to check). I’ve only taken it out to 520 yards and it was accurate.

Oh, and for a blaser R8 moment of appreciation: travel home from Africa, leave rifle in case for a week then go to the range, put the rifle together from the case. Add scope to the top, shoot first shot at 520 yards, hit gong. Every time the QR scope gets put back on the barrel, it likes to shoot to the same place as last time. I’m beginning to really believe this return to zero claim, well, because it keeps returning to zero!

I respect your decision as well, and I love the VX6 which I've taken to Africa several times. If the OP is concerned about wind holds, longer shots, etc I just prefer a mil/mil setup in some form, FFP with illum reticle.
I am a believer in FFP for the same reasons I'm sure you are.

Philip, do you have a mil reticle/dials in your swaro, or moa? Are you dialing for elevation and holding for wind, or what?
The Leupold scope is in MOA. The Swaro app only lets you select Swaro scopes. It does not let you select Mil/MOA. I guess I just need to determine which Swaro scope is 1/4” MOA per click and go with it.
I am only wanting to dial for elevation.

Then that should be easy.

Does that system account for barometric pressure, temperature, humidity? At 300 and in, the difference is not crazy but the further out you go it starts stacking up.

The Leupold scope is in MOA. The Swaro app only lets you select Swaro scopes. It does not let you select Mil/MOA. I guess I just need to determine which Swaro scope is 1/4” MOA per click and go with it.
I am only wanting to dial for elevation.
In the settings category of the app you can select MOA and have that displayed under the yardage on the readout in the bino. I think the default was “inactive” so if you upload the new setting it should display.

D98DD030-4C13-4F9B-BA66-E66CC7C909FD.png

Then that should be easy.

Does that system account for barometric pressure, temperature, humidity? At 300 and in, the difference is not crazy but the further out you go it starts stacking up.
Yes it calculates the environmental each time you range to give you the number of clicks needed on your scope.

In the settings category of the app you can select MOA and have that displayed under the yardage on the readout in the bino. I think the default was “inactive” so if you upload the new setting it should display.

View attachment 419516
Ok I see that. You still have to select a Swaro scope however.

I am finally ready to upgrade my Swarovski EL Range binos for one of the new models. I have looked at extensively and nearly bought the Leica Geovid 3200 10x42 binos last year. They have had this technology for years but just last year came out with bluetooth connectivity to not only their app but also the Kestrel Elite, and the Apple Watch. Now Swarovski has a competitive model that also takes in the environmentals, bluetooths to an app, and will give you holdover or clicks. They have upgraded the glass to the Swarovision glass on this model. It just does not have the features nor nearly the range of the Leica 3200. The Leica has the benefit of having all these features longer in their binos. Since I already have a Kestrel Elite and it connects to the Leica then that may be the best solution for me. I am a bit brand loyal to Swaro so this is the struggle.
I really believe that the Rangefinding binos are the best hunting tool since the scope. With this new step up in technology it is even better. The ability to glass, range, and dial in a matter of seconds is a true game changer for hunting.
I’ll buy one or the other and report on it in the coming months.
What are your thoughts?
Regards
Philip
hi Philip, my father had a polish client that hunted with him in June and she is the president of delta optics. My dad, his resident PH and myself had a look through her range finding binoculars and the quality and ranging on them are fantastic. the quality of the glass is also spectacular. I don't know all the specifications of the binoculars but i can tell you that it definitely is worth having a look on their website!
Regards, Caitlin

@Philip Glass, you might want to give Swarovski customer service a call. They have always been helpful a few time I have called them.

Ok I see that. You still have to select a Swaro scope however.

Seems as if this is going to be a recurring issue every time you change up your loads, etc. If you're OK with that, fine, but I'd go to a mil/mil or an moa/moa setup that works for every cartridge, condition, ballistics, etc.

Seems as if this is going to be a recurring issue every time you change up your loads, etc. If you're OK with that, fine, but I'd go to a mil/mil or an moa/moa setup that works for every cartridge, condition, ballistics, etc.

Or get a Leica 3200.com it is the only one in the same league of glass.

If you were to step down vortex and sig have nice offerings.

You just need a kestrel for them to talk to use Applied Ballistics. Leica does have an app I have not played with it to speak upon the capabilities of it.

Not all hunting situations are conducive to a FFP scope. Low power you start to loose the crosshairs. Just an observation

Or get a Leica 3200.com it is the only one in the same league of glass.

If you were to step down vortex and sig have nice offerings.

You just need a kestrel for them to talk to use Applied Ballistics. Leica does have an app I have not played with it to speak upon the capabilities of it.

Not all hunting situations are conducive to a FFP scope. Low power you start to loose the crosshairs. Just an observation

In this case, a Leica 3200 is irrelevant since Philip is concerned with his scope, not binoculars. Also, with regards to you FFP comment, to each their own, but illuminated reticles solve that problem.

In this case, a Leica 3200 is irrelevant since Philip is concerned with his scope, not binoculars. Also, with regards to you FFP comment, to each their own, but illuminated reticles solve that problem.
He is concerned with the solution. He has to name the scope in the program. He is unsure what to name. He stated that he will dial, I think it was mentioned that his setup can be programmed to display MOA and that will solve his current problem.

As far as illumination is concerned that's fine if your eye sight is good and your battery is not dead. FFP AND SFP have a use, you name the scope I have probably owned it at one time or another. FFPs on the lowest setting tunnel, crosshairs are almost unusable. The 1X6 and 1X8 are not as bad, when you cross the 15X power it is definitely more noticeable.

Right now I'm partial to the LRHSi FFP's. Never have I encountered a situation where they didn't work, and work well. Probably killed upwards of 200 hogs in both daylight, dusk, and night, as well as 47 whitetail does, culling from MLD ground here in TX over the past two years with that scope on a 6.5CM, 260Rem, and 7-08.

I've heard from a couple friends that Leica has upped their game in the past couple years. Yes, their service did suck. I sent in a pair of 12x50's several years ago, just to get checked, $400 minimum. No thanks
Yes sir, but what are those 12x50's worth? I sent in my Geovids for a service which cost me around $250. Got back a brand new pair. Spending $400 on a $2500 pair of binoculars, and receiving back a new pair is a no brainer to me.

Do any of them offer a direction of fire update to the kestrel?

It would be a ''nice to have'' to be able to update the kestrel with DOF to target in order to get wind readings - without having to reset the kestrel's DOF

Might fit what you are trying to accomplish the best.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.39 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.41 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.42 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.43 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.46 AM.png
    469.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.47 AM.png
    869.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.50 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.51 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.05.58 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.06.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.06.04 AM.png
    487.2 KB · Views: 62
Sort of answering my own question and also as an alternative to the two suggested in the OP ...

Currently looking at these which have on board AP as well as compass and link to kestrel

A solution for both the long range target shooter and the hunter ???

Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB 10x42 Laser Range finding Binocular​

I am just trying to find the work around for the scope that you have to select in the app! With my Swaro scopes and factory ammo it is about 15 seconds to set up a load. It is the easiest thing ever. If you have another brand of scope then what?
I was hoping someone on here had a similar experience as me and could tell me the workaround.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammie2072

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross