R8 Custom Barrels-Dream Come True!

Looks like the thread locker did not hold. Grab the stud with vice grips and you should be fine. Get another stud because you are going to jack that one up. I would clean the threads very very good and install a new stud with rock set. Unless the threads are galled it should not be to big of an ordeal.

I removed the barrel screw/stud by holding the end with vise grips. I attached a facory Blaser barrel with no problems to the stock so it looks like stock captured nut is not stripped. Justin is sending me another barrel screw/stud to attach to the barrel. I will keep everyone informed on how this progresses.

I’m sorry but no way would I trust this J Sip to make me a barrel after all the Sh*t you’ve been through. Full me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

HH

After following this thread. I will happily continue getting Blaser parts from Cove Creek. They are prompt, honest and very helpful. I suspect if a few dozen of us ask for Blaser to make a .404, they will do it. (Or maybe I’m just dreaming…).

The real question is why it was so hard to tighten the nuts to begin with? Like you said, factory barrels go on with hardly any resistance at all, until the nut is nearly all the way screwed in.
Could have had a messed up thread and with the thread locker not holding it was backing in and out of the barrel and not the nut.

I’m sorry but no way would I trust this J Sip to make me a barrel after all the Sh*t you’ve been through. Full me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

HH
My thoughts on this, I don't think J Sip is on here reading this post. With all the thing the OP has gone through he had a conversation with him and J Sip appears to try to make it right. This could be something that happened in shipping or maybe it slipped by QC. Let's say that stud received a good wack while shipped. That could bugger up the thread and get the spread out of alignment just enough for what the OP described. I'm not a fan of J Sip, don't know him, don't have any of his barrels, will probably never do business with him. All that said, if the OP felt better after talking with him. If J Sip is making it right, at the very least the OP will possibly get a good barrel for his troubles and hopefully it shoots well. Things happen and sometimes they happen at the worst opportunity.

I removed the barrel screw/stud by holding the end with vise grips. I attached a facory Blaser barrel with no problems to the stock so it looks like stock captured nut is not stripped. Justin is sending me another barrel screw/stud to attach to the barrel. I will keep everyone informed on how this progresses.
If this happened to me. I would measure the stud or take it somewhere to have it measured. I would by a socket head set screw to use. One I can get good material, two I can actually get a little torque on it. Just something to think about, you will spend more on fuel than the screw. .02

Got the stud, installed it, loctited it, and waited 24 hours. I attached the barrel, and even though you could feel some tension while tightening compared to almost nothing on a Blaser barrel, it was not enough to be a concern. My guess is there must have been some bad threads on the previous stud. So, looks like all is good for now, I will keep updating if the are any other issues.

After following this thread. I will happily continue getting Blaser parts from Cove Creek. They are prompt, honest and very helpful. I suspect if a few dozen of us ask for Blaser to make a .404, they will do it. (Or maybe I’m just dreaming…).
When Tim Fallon of SAAM shooting school asked Blaser to start making 6.5 Creedmore barrels he had to guarantee them 100 barrels would be sold. Blaser wont likely make new calibers. Hence the reason for the J Sip conversation here.
I have 3 J Sip barrels and I have not noticed any difference between them and Blaser barrels. They both seem to go on the same way.
My advice would be to not pay him a deposit on a barrel. Id tell him what I want and Ill pay when its ready to ship.
Philip

When Tim Fallon of SAAM shooting school asked Blaser to start making 6.5 Creedmore barrels he had to guarantee them 100 barrels would be sold. Blaser wont likely make new calibers. Hence the reason for the J Sip conversation here.
I have 3 J Sip barrels and I have not noticed any difference between them and Blaser barrels. They both seem to go on the same way.
My advice would be to not pay him a deposit on a barrel. Id tell him what I want and Ill pay when its ready to ship.
Philip
With his reputation, I'd say you should pay when you have the barrel in hand and on the rifle, with no issues....

Philip
Good advice.

And now to wonder how many 6.5 CM barrels Blaser has now sold…I bet they made their money back! I bought one as a perfect entry level caliber for a small 12 yr old. It is now the first timer’s barrel for my nephews.

Spoke with a guy who received a barrel from Sip recently with no issues and thought what the hell. I ordered an 18” threaded 17mm .308 R8 barrel on January 13, paid the $500 deposit. Got notice on February 22 that they had charged the balance, barrel arrived yesterday. Looks and fits fine; balances well with can.
31D393D2-B669-4161-BEFA-C8814913DE2A.jpeg
9F5E9927-A37B-477D-BB6F-4C2166C8EA6A.jpeg
15FACA4D-2F80-4147-8615-85D08CDC3822.jpeg
I’ll report when I shoot it.

Spoke with a guy who received a barrel from Sip recently with no issues and thought what the hell. I ordered an 18” threaded 17mm .308 R8 barrel on January 13, paid the $500 deposit. Got notice on February 22 that they had charged the balance, barrel arrived yesterday. Looks and fits fine; balances well with can. View attachment 519719View attachment 519717View attachment 519718I’ll report when I shoot it.
Looks good and hopefully your good experience isn’t an anomaly and Sip has amended his ways.

A few weeks ago I bought a 300 PRC barrel from the inventory he had listed on his website. Talked to him about getting it threaded which he did no problem. Took about 5 days from when I spoke to him until I had it in my hands. Haven’t shot it yet but no issues with fit or function.

Hmmmmm.....wonder if he'll save his reputation after all?
Time will tell. In the meantime he has a lot of ground to cover before he gets there. Good to see the first steps.

Spoke with a guy who received a barrel from Sip recently with no issues and thought what the hell. I ordered an 18” threaded 17mm .308 R8 barrel on January 13, paid the $500 deposit. Got notice on February 22 that they had charged the balance, barrel arrived yesterday. Looks and fits fine; balances well with can. View attachment 519719View attachment 519717View attachment 519718I’ll report when I shoot it.

Is that an ultra 7?

Looks good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross