Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patriot Life member Benefactor Level
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
Have you guys given any thought to replacing your bipods and tripods with these new devices like the Caldwell Magnum Deadshot Fieldpod? It seems like it would make your lives easier and result in fewer wounded and lost animals.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-4881...93&sr=8-2&keywords=caldwell+deadshot+fieldpod

Caldwell Magnum DeadShot FieldPod

81OqKfWoT7L._SL1500_.jpg
81ffmwgNFrL._SL1500_.jpg
81LCB-ngriL._SL1500_.jpg
71H54Mi1pDL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Your shooting sticks become a part of you. Would not trade mine for anything. They almost flick open automatically.
I carry a pair of standing sticks as well as a pair of sitting sticks. If the hunter is not comfortable, get closer. If we can't get closer, we have the dogs.

By the way, someone has to carry those things.....;)

Postoak

I think that you will find that most PH'S have 2 to 3 sets of shooting sticks with them in the vehicle at all times.

As a client i like the 3 legged shooting sticks the best. That is what i practice with.

I have shot on the 2 legged shooting sticks, however i have performed well i still like the 3 legged shooting sticks.

And some times it is your shooting bag, a tree and or branch, a rock and some times suspended by a string in a blind.

Attachments

• 71H54Mi1pDL._SL1500_-2.jpg
    71H54Mi1pDL._SL1500_-2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of simple. Best shooting sticks I've ever used were three pieces of bamboo lashed together with a piece of old tire inner tube.

I've seen that used on TV in a leopard blind. That makes sense to me. Otherwise I am thinking that it would be too restrictive for many situations.

My take is that if you want fewer wounded or lost animals learn and practice to shoot to your rifle's abilities.

How much time do expect the animal to give you as you set those up? I always feel like I take too long. Isn't there a 3 second rule or something along those lines?

I want to go hunting, not shooting. I pay $50 a year to shoot at a range. (I do agree in a leopard blind they might be great).

BTW, that siting position can be dangerous in Africa!

i must confess to having bought one of those or something similar at bass pro when i was at last years sci. i thought they would be handy for using at the range for setting scopes up , as there are no benchrests etc there. after taking them out of the box and working out how to set them up (you engineers out there would have been rolling around in amusement) i found they flexed and werent as stable as i had hoped..........so think they are now in the back of the gunroom somewhere ......the old fashioned string/cord to hold the rifle in a leopard blind is way more stable than these.

Last edited:
Looks to bulky! I use a bogpod and find it easy to carry around and works excellent.

Mike,

they weren't made for that mini gun you bought!!!! :W Machine Gun:

africa would fall apart without old inner tubes :D

My stateside bamboo shooting sticks (both my two legged ones and my three legged ones as well) are bound together with one vacuum cleaner drive belt each because I am unable to find tire tubes any more here where I live.

Too bulky and to much to go wrong or break.

Mine are to lengths of hazel wood and a bike inner tube. If one breaks i just cut down another length and replace.

My stateside bamboo shooting sticks (both my two legged ones and my three legged ones as well) are bound together with one vacuum cleaner drive belt each because I am unable to find tire tubes any more here where I live.
I think an inner tube would be easier to find in camp than a vacuum cleaner belt!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg