Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I am in full agreement with jeff and Red Leg. This problem started with the Outfitter/skinners. That is not to say I wouldn’t be a bit disappointed with D&P for not letting me know there were some issues, but from what I can see this is not the fault of the Dip & Pack. They did what they could with what they were given.
Your Outfitter needs to be much more on top of the quality of work his skinners are doing. Just my opinion.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Between the outfitter and the Dip and Pack they should offer you a whole new hunt including Dip and Pack. IMHO they should cover your air fair as well.

harden

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Asia/M.East
Conundrum......D and P will blame PH, Ph will blame D and P. wish you luck but this will go know where just the crappy finished seams on the backs of Aarons Kudu and I'm sure other mounts. Send that skin to a real good tannery and tell them about the situation, Some have real good skills to save capes. I know mine does. It won't cost you a THING as if it's good it will show after pickling and then they can proceed , if it's bad it will slip in the pickle at that point it can be shipped back to you if you want it and no reputable tanner will charge you for rehydrating it to see REAL condition. Your best MOVE it get some cash wired to you from either , a good tanned Kudu will set you back 200-300 bucks get them to reimburse you here for the cost. That's your BEST chance at a resolution. Send it see what it does, I have seen CRAP you think is gone be saved.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.tallyho.co.za
Media
Member of
SCI, PHASA, SA Wingshooters
hi all

sounds like a strange situation here possibly with a not great outfit to boot
how do skulls with some flesh and bugs on get through to another country for a start
how does the taxidermist not inspect the products he received from the outfitter before doing his prep work for dip and ship, the taxidermist could easily have quickly cleaned the skin and skulls off before dipping (assuming they were fresh)
a replacement cape is best way to go, yes its not yours, but skull and horns are still from your kudu and thats the most important part

good luck on resolving this
outfitters and taxidermists need to communicate!!!

regards

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Between the outfitter and the Dip and Pack they should offer you a whole new hunt including Dip and Pack. IMHO they should cover your air fair as well.
That's not going to happen. But it would be an interesting opening position for negotiating delivery of a problem free kudu cape. ;)

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
It's not ruined until you try tanning it. As Dennis has noted, there is a chance the cape will make it through the tanning process. IF IT DOESN'T then you have a replacement issue.
I'm not saying it wasn't a crappy job, because it was, but maybe it works itself out on this cape.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
It's not ruined until you try tanning it. As Dennis has noted, there is a chance the cape will make it through the tanning process. IF IT DOESN'T then you have a replacement issue.
I'm not saying it wasn't a crappy job, because it was, but maybe it works itself out on this cape.

Perhaps so, but that could be throwing good money after bad.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
You are absolutely right, there may be no problem when it goes to tan and all the worrying and frustration may not be warranted.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
You are absolutely right, there may be no problem when it goes to tan and all the worrying and frustration may not be warranted.

What's it going to cost to find out would be my question.

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas

Phil, most tanneries in the US will not charge anything if the cape doesn’t make it through the process so really nothing to lose to try. Wet tan might be best bet to make it.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Once a good tanner re hydrates the cape and inspects it then he will know if it will tan ok, if it won't I've never been charged for them to do this.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Phil, most tanneries in the US will not charge anything if the cape doesn’t make it through the process so really nothing to lose to try. Wet tan might be best bet to make it.

Once a good tanner re hydrates the cape and inspects it then he will know if it will tan ok, if it won't I've never been charged for them to do this.

@Washingtonmuley, I think you have the next step identified in this process. Seems you should send this to the tannery and see what happens as it won't cost you anything and it may work out fine.

harden

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Asia/M.East
Send it to a tannery that DOES A LOT of Africrap tanning.

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Good luck on trying to get anything from either the outfitter or DP. Based on my own personal experience, you will end up getting zero from both. Like other have stated, they'll point fingers at each other and nothing will be done. When stuff like this happens, the outfitter & DP know you are thousands of miles away, and there is nothing you can do to them from here. To some outfitters, taxidermist & DP we are only a number, who will pay, and go away. They have what I call an assembly line with inept workers, and all they care is how many animals they can process and how much money they will make. It is unfortunate that this happens and too often. I know there are reputable outfitters & taxidermist in Africa who work their a$$es off to get you quality products. However, these stories are way too common, and it's a gamble I'm not planning on taking on my next safari. Good luck to you, and let us know how it goes.

Washingtonmuley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My taxidermist in the states is going to personally take it to the tannery and speak with them about it.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
I've been trying for six years at the ranges where I shoot, to get hunters interested in an Africa hunt. I give them the address to this site then they get on here and read this stuff and I don't hear from them again. There are many reputable outfitters, taxidermists, travel agencies, importers and shippers that people this site. Hopefully anyone reading this thread will understand this hunter's experience isn't the norm. A little research and a list of references goes a long way to ensuring a a totally successful hunt and a happy ending with awesome trophies on the wall.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
My taxidermist in the states is going to personally take it to the tannery and speak with them about it.
Did the outfitter recommend the D&P place or did you request them? Many times the outfitter has some finger in the pie when it comes to D&P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennyBowes

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG