Possibly ruined Kudu cape?

Washingtonmuley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My crate arrived from South Africa so I went to my taxidermist to have him open and go over it with me. I have 7 animals dipped and packed with 5 hides. My kudu arrived with some flesh still attached to the hide and mold on it. Both of my impala skulls still had some flesh and dead bugs all over it. I can deal with the impala but not with the lack of care of my #1 animal my kudu. What should I request from South African taxidermist for his poor work? I am expecting nothing but hoping for something. I will not give taxidermist's name until he is given time to make this right.
Thanks,
Tim

received_329395191122071.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I would say you’re owed a replacement cape with shipping on him or a full refund.

slam8031

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
rsa
Sorry for your troubles. Good luck with whatever comes! I agree a replacement cape at a minimum!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Sorry this happens to you sir! Hope things work out for the best!

Certus

AH veteran
Reaction score
What will a replacement do for you? It’s not YOUR kudu then? If it’s just a small spot maybe a taxidermist can repair it?
Going by the pic it looks like there’s a fair bit of flesh still there though in a lot of places?

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Absolutely astounding that product was even sent.
Quality control ZERO.
(That includes the Outfitter)

Last edited:

Washingtonmuley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Brickburn,
Those are my thoughts as well. I have dried many hides on my own and they all have been better than that and I am not a professional .

Von S.

AH fanatic
Reaction score
.....and the guy who did it probably wanted a tip to boot....

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Sad to see.

Quite often the issues arise in the skinning shed(field preparation). The skinning and the initial treatment of the hide at the hunting location is the first and most important part of the trophy preparation process. If it gets screwed up there it could ruin the trophies before they even arrive at the taxidermy.

It is however shocking to see that it went through all the paid for processes and end up with the hunter in that condition.

I sincerely hope it can be recovered, kudu if not properly done to start with are prone to hair slip....

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Criminal! Send out a cape like that! I'm really getting fed up with these guys.

Bruce

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
Hunted
Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
Absolutely piss poor work.. that guy should be strung up for sending out such a skin AND other skull mounts in poor condition!
Sorry for your bad luck here...

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
As a taxidermist I can agree that it was taken care of poorly, but the fleshing and the turning of ears and lips are done at the outfitters!! This looks like the outfitter didn't over see the work his skinners and fleshers were doing. Dip and pack is just that, not fleshing capes! I think you should contact your outfitter.

Von S.

AH fanatic
Reaction score
As a taxidermist I can agree that it was taken care of poorly, but the fleshing and the turning of ears and lips are done at the outfitters!! This looks like the outfitter didn't over see the work his skinners and fleshers were doing. Dip and pack is just that, not fleshing capes! I think you should contact your outfitter.

And I got a g that says that they wanted tips an the man with the screwed pelts was smiling when he handed over his hard earned money for a job that was supposed to be well done.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)

For the prices that the dip and pack companies are charging there should be a inspection of the capes or hides to make sure that this doesn't happen.

So are you willing to put out the names of the dip and pack company along with the outfitter?

Washingtonmuley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I feel it is the taxidermist's job to make sure the hides are dried properly as I paid him for more than inspecting and crating them. At this time I will not disclose who I used as I want to give him a chance to respond.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
This was field prep - the salting and the drying. If you have a contract with a taxidermist that somehow guarantees the quality of the shipment, then he should have replaced this cape. I would be a little surprised that he provided such a guarantee. I think that I would even be more upset with my PH/outfitter.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
If the capes are not handled properly at the outfitters no amount of dipping or chemical treatment is going to undue the damage already done. The dip& pack are not going to do the Skinner's job. Your invoice should show that you paid for the required chemical treatment a Vet certificate and crating`. I'm not saying that capes aren't ruined at D&P but at least leaving meat on the cape is not their fault, the bug problem is and maybe other things. The D&P have no control over how the shippers store your hard earned trophies, like leaving them in the weather for a few days to draw dampness. Every year I have people bring me capes in very poor condition and some how think I have a magic wand to fix their poor handling.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
If the capes are not handled properly at the outfitters no amount of dipping or chemical treatment is going to undue the damage already done. The dip& pack are not going to do the Skinner's job. Your invoice should show that you paid for the required chemical treatment a Vet certificate and crating`. I'm not saying that capes aren't ruined at D&P but at least leaving meat on the cape is not their fault, the bug problem is and maybe other things. The D&P have no control over how the shippers store your hard earned trophies, like leaving them in the weather for a few days to draw dampness. Every year I have people bring me capes in very poor condition and some how think I have a magic wand to fix their poor handling.

I think you mentioned you’re a taxidermist so you know better than me if so. But is there not some level of responsibility on the taxi doing the D&P work to notify the outfitter and client that he has questionable material to work with before even starting the work?

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Myself I notify the client, but it's his responsibility to sort it out with the outfitter. I've also had clients bring in capes that were in extremely poor condition, starting to slip, cut to short and still insist I do my best and send it to the tanners. I think some of the D&P places aren't going to bring up issues with the outfitter as they rely's on them to bring more business,they'll just process what was brought, sometimes their caught in the middle, maybe not right but I suspect they would rather piss off a client than a outfitter. I know butchers here that when when somebody brings dirty or poorly handled meat that smells, they take the position that their not there to babysit and the end product will be terrible but that's what they were brought . The very best D&P that I have received were done by places that only do dip and pack and specialize in only that, they usually have fast turn around so there less time for bugs and poor storage. The D&P is not there to grade capes and make sure the outfitter did his job, hell work with what he gets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaiFurnell

Latest profile posts

Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
I have been looking at an option for a 505, that doesn't break the bank (that concern my have to yield), and is more in the 50-110, or 50 Alaskan range. However not easy to find a case, other than the Weatherby, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
Hello, do you have any information on your 505 SRE cartridge. Up here in Canada, there is talk about how the various 500s may exceed the 10 000 Joule limit recently imposed. Not that they do on paper, but you never know what they may infer or claim.
Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...

IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?