Politics

If we need to enter another conflict may have to use the draft and wouldn't that be interesting.

If we need to enter another conflict may have to use the draft and wouldn't that be interesting.

Considering the next one is most likely China, I suspect a draft would be required.

I'm not sure Kevin. Maybe the pursuit of their ideology doesn't allow them to see far enough to understand the scope of its impacts globally? I agree: the world needs a strong U.S. I think we are wedged so far into the space between a rock and a hard spot that I don't see how we get out. It is frightening to me that we have THREE AND A HALF YEARS left of this presidency, and our choices are him for as long as that lasts and Harris, who scares me even more. Maybe I just lack the necessary imagination, but there do not appear to be any easy solutions on the horizon. I fear things could get real ugly.
Your last sentence is an understatement!

1629848781865.png

That is absolute nonsense.

As long as Bagram was open and manned, we maintained the requisite firepower to blunt any offensive directed at Kabul. It is the antithesis of sound military doctrine, to withdraw the covering force before non-combatants were safely evacuated. Milley and Austin know this and should have resigned rather than sign on to this catastrophe. I promise you they have heard this in spades from their peers, colleagues, and mentors.

And watching the Taliban merrily executing former members of the Kabul government and military, I reject the notion they were complicit. What those institutions did do was collapse when their only ally that mattered ran away in the night.

I frankly had assumed that someone else was running our government. But based on what I am now seeing and hearing, this senile delusional old man really is apparently calling the shots. That is truly terrifying.

I frankly think we should have stayed with minimum manning (3500-5000) indefinitely. It put a huge crimp in both ISIS and Al Queida resurgence, stabilized Kabul and the central Afghan government, and gave us a outstanding intel position in central Asia. We haven't lost a serviceman in nearly two-years and the effort was far far less than our enduring multi-generational commitment to Europe, Japan, and south Korea (which I also support). Chicago would have been a more dangerous assignment. And yes, like many political-military foreign policy issues, I think Trump has this wrong as well.

But we didn't. We have ceded the initiative to the Taliban, and they will humiliate us on the world stage. Shame on us as a nation if we leave a single American behind who is desperately trying to escape these barbarians.
Agree 100%

For those of you who know who Michael Yon is...

Currently monitoring illegal immigrants moving through the Darien Gap in Panama, says "I'll be back in the US soon, because the big fight is coming in the United States and I'm a war correspondent."

For those of you who know who Michael Yon is...

Currently monitoring illegal immigrants moving through the Darien Gap in Panama, says "I'll be back in the US soon, because the big fight is coming in the United States and I'm a war correspondent."
Been forty some odd years since I lived in Panama but getting from Colombia to Panama via Darien was almost impossible. More than one adventurous soul that tried, never returned.

1629854072430.png

Been forty some odd years since I lived in Panama but getting from Colombia to Panama via Darien was almost impossible. More than one adventurous soul that tried, never returned.
Pretty sure I don't have the temerity to attempt that crossing myself. Jaguars, fer de lance, bushmasters, hog nosed vipers, ants and all sorts of other stinging insects, not to mention the mosquitoes, and oppressive heat/humidity. And during the rainy season, daily downpours.

The Atlantic side of Panama, near the big city, gets about 150" of rain a year. The Pacific side gets close to 400". Or at least that's what it said in the museum at the Mira Flores lock.

I can’t think of a single dumocratic policy, program, or even a thought that is sustainable. It seems the thinking is all in the here-and-now with little forward thinking or consideration for consequences…or common sense.
Whatever the next clusterf**k might be scares me stupid.
I’d sure like to know how we stop the bleeding cuz we’re already a quart low.

That would certainly cut down the maggots on unemployment, welfare, SS and the other commucrat gimmie gimmies.

Jaguars, fer de lance, bushmasters, hog nosed vipers, ants and all sorts of other stinging insects, not to mention the mosquitoes, and oppressive heat/humidity. And during the rainy season, daily downpours.
In a book that I read when I was young, about 60 years ago, Col Townsend Whelen talked about a trip that he had in Panama where he basically wandered around living off of what he could catch. At the time it sounded like fun to me, but now, less so.

Don't get me wrong...Panama is high on my list of places to which I might retire. Lots of really cool stuff there. But trying to cross the Darien just doesn't sound like the sort of adventure I want to have.

1629912638655.png

Pretty sure I don't have the temerity to attempt that crossing myself. Jaguars, fer de lance, bushmasters, hog nosed vipers, ants and all sorts of other stinging insects, not to mention the mosquitoes, and oppressive heat/humidity. And during the rainy season, daily downpours.

The Atlantic side of Panama, near the big city, gets about 150" of rain a year. The
Pacific side gets close to 400". Or at least that's what it said in the museum at the Mira Flores lock.
Did some research and it has become a migrant path to destinations in the north. As per your description of bad things, not a human friendly environment to traverse.

Last edited:
A couple of points:
  • After this crap show I wonder where we'll find locals stupid enough to help our forces the next time we're faced with fighting in some foreign land? This isn't the first time we've crapped on the people who helped us.
  • As to whether there'll be a draft if we get into a war with China/Russia, I'm afraid the days when you could start out with a puny military and build up in time to not only stave off defeat but resoundingly smash the enemy are gone. We'll fight with the military we have on hand, things will happen quickly among peer adversaries.
  • If the Republicans take the house will they push for impeachment? Have you seen a bunch of Republicans screaming on the news about this disaster of a withdrawal? Unless the Republican party finds their balls or a suitable replacement they're not going to be much help in righting the ship.
  • Like it or not we're the world's police and have been such since 1945ish. If we don't have that role it's going to someone else, there simply will not be a vacuum. So who would you rather had that job? Remember, one of the qualifications is the ability to project power.
  • Finally, related to the last point, how much damage has this "withdrawal" done to our ability to project power and create alliances for military interventions which might be necessary in the future? That also kind of relates back up to the first point.

A couple of points:
  • After this crap show I wonder where we'll find locals stupid enough to help our forces the next time we're faced with fighting in some foreign land? This isn't the first time we've crapped on the people who helped us.
  • As to whether there'll be a draft if we get into a war with China/Russia, I'm afraid the days when you could start out with a puny military and build up in time to not only stave off defeat but resoundingly smash the enemy are gone. We'll fight with the military we have on hand, things will happen quickly among peer adversaries.
  • If the Republicans take the house will they push for impeachment? Have you seen a bunch of Republicans screaming on the news about this disaster of a withdrawal? Unless the Republican party finds their balls or a suitable replacement they're not going to be much help in righting the ship.
  • Like it or not we're the world's police and have been such since 1945ish. If we don't have that role it's going to someone else, there simply will not be a vacuum. So who would you rather had that job? Remember, one of the qualifications is the ability to project power.
  • Finally, related to the last point, how much damage has this "withdrawal" done to our ability to project power and create alliances for military interventions which might be necessary in the future? That also kind of relates back up to the first point.
Exactly correct.

The weapons systems we employ demand a professional military. Even the basic infantry fighting equipment from nods, to a tricked out M4, to communications, to anti-tank weapons, etc, etc can't really be mastered at just basic and AIT - and that doesn't address modern small unit tactics. That is just the infantry. Try to create a tank gunner overnight, much less an apache crew.

And we absolutely require such a professional military. Our prosperity is built upon certain access to international markets. It is an "Imperial" economic construct in both breath and scope. I am convinced we do ourselves enormous potential damage whenever we try to re-embrace pre-WWII isolationism.

It is what is so frustrating about withdrawing from Afghanistan at all. It was no longer a "war," and had not been for several years. The limited forces committed were sufficient to keep the central area around the Kabul secure, providing us a forward operating base capable of providing both real time intelligence and strike capability against the various radical Central Asian groups.

Trying to do the same thing with "over the horizon" technology will be an exercise in futility.

And what happens when we have to go back into that part of the world as we surely will? Who signs on to that coalition?

As @NE 7x57 so astutely notes, there are never any international power vacuums. Already, regional partners are taking steps to protect themselves from a feckless United States.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg