Politics

My only issue is that I can find nothing in their or their linked literature that persuades me stopping a grid line surge to my house in anyway protects anything in it from the direct EMP pulse. For that to happen, the house or individual components would have to be shielded. That is not addressed anywhere in anything that I have read on the site - something I would suggest is noteworthy. I'll give them a call Monday. Now I am curious.

On second thought, I just sent them an email.

But yes, greater surge protection is no doubt of value.

Thank you for having followed up with your old contacts and having reached out to the company itself. With the number of people reading this forum, a good satisfactory response (and definitive confirmation on its efficacy) might nett them many thousands of $ in sales.

And all this talk sent me down a rabbit hole. Found the below video. Curious as to the collective thoughts of if this would work for an EMP 'blast' if certain emergency supplies witu electronics were kept inside, ie: hand radios, LED flashlights, extra LED bulbs(?), back up hard drive, etc...

And all this talk sent me down a rabbit hole. Found the below video. Curious as to the collective thoughts of if this would work for an EMP 'blast' if certain emergency supplies witu electronics were kept inside, ie: hand radios, LED flashlights, extra LED bulbs(?), back up hard drive, etc...

Probably so. Shielded containers are an acknowledged means of protection. Where they break down is with the stuff we use daily. No one will warn us that an EMP attack is coming.

Gentlemen,

Does everyone realize that there are many difference types of electromagnetic pulses?

This free, easy to find document on Wikipedia explains that;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Different types of EMP arise from natural, man-made, and weapons effects.

"Types of natural EMP events include:

Lightning electromagnetic pulse (LEMP). The discharge is typically an initial current flow of perhaps millions of amps, followed by a train of pulses of decreasing energy.

Electrostatic discharge (ESD), as a result of two charged objects coming into proximity or even contact.

Meteoric EMP. The discharge of electromagnetic energy resulting from either the impact of a meteoroid with a spacecraft or the explosive breakup of a meteoroid passing through the Earth's atmosphere.[4][5]

Coronal mass ejection (CME), sometimes referred to as a solar EMP. A burst of plasma and accompanying magnetic field, ejected from the solar corona and released into the solar wind.[6]

Types of (civil) man-made EMP events include:

Switching action of electrical circuitry, whether isolated or repetitive (as a pulse train).

Electric motors can create a train of pulses as the internal electrical contacts make and break connections as the armature rotates.

Gasoline engine ignition systems can create a train of pulses as the spark plugs are energized or fired.

Continual switching actions of digital electronic circuitry.

Power line surges. These can be up to several kilovolts, enough to damage electronic equipment that is insufficiently protected.

Types of military EMP include:

Nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NEMP), as a result of a nuclear explosion. A variant of this is the high altitude nuclear EMP (HEMP), which produces a secondary pulse due to particle interactions with the Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field.

Non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NNEMP) weapons.”

The EMP surge protector may in fact protect from lighting, ESD, and power line surges.

I believe that most of us think of EMPs as from weapons such as military weapon NEMP and NNEMP. For those only shielding electronic circuits will even begin to protect electronic systems.

Military EMP may be “A nuclear electromagnetic pulse (nuclear EMP or NEMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation created by a nuclear explosion. The resulting rapidly varying electric and magnetic fields may couple with electrical and electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges. The specific characteristics of a particular nuclear EMP event vary according to a number of factors, the most important of which is the altitude of the detonation.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

The bottom line is that a NEMP, HEMP, or NNEMP will emit energy similar (to the average person) to radio waves, magnetic waves of flux, and/or radiation that are EVERYWHERE! Face it, only a metal building, deep tunnel, or wrapping oneself in a lead blanket will interfere with an amplitude modulated (AM) radio signal.

What happens if instead of a millionth of a volt of power on that AM signal, there were 50,000 or more volts permeating all the air/atmosphere around us. We’d all be dead unless that high voltage was only there for an instant in time.

For an instantaneous electromagnetic pulse, flora and fauna would survive as would good old vacuum and transistors that are as big as one’s thumb. For those thousands or millions of very small transistors on a thumbnail size microchip, we better sound taps! When every microchip everywhere is fried, there won't be any replacements for a year or two, if ever.

There it is. A military EMP weapon bursting over the northern Midwest USA will, well I hope you guys have a few Armalite Rifles and cases of ammo stashed away. Give it a week or two and you will see what good men, your neighbors and those from farther walking distance will do to survive. And that’s how typical Russians think. Survival, but that’s another debate…

1707603433551.png

“The mechanism for a 400-kilometre-high (250 mi; 1,300,000 ft) burst EMP: gamma rays hit the atmosphere between 20–40 km (66,000–131,000 ft) altitude, ejecting electrons which are then deflected sideways by the Earth's magnetic field. This makes the electrons radiate EMP over a large area. Because of the curvature and downward tilt of Earth's magnetic field over the US, the maximum EMP occurs south of the detonation and the minimum occurs to the north”

Last edited:
Probably so. Shielded containers are an acknowledged means of protection. Where they break down is with the stuff we use daily. No one will warn us that an EMP attack is coming.
My thoughts go to keeping a "back up" supply of essentials in said type of storage box. To be useful after said type of 'event'.
Again, down the rabbit hole with free time.

Gentlemen,

Does everyone realize that there are many difference types of electromagnetic pulses?

This free, easy to find document on Wikipedia explains that;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Different types of EMP arise from natural, man-made, and weapons effects.

“Types of natural EMP events include:

Lightning electromagnetic pulse (LEMP). The discharge is typically an initial current flow of perhaps millions of amps, followed by a train of pulses of decreasing energy.

Electrostatic discharge (ESD), as a result of two charged objects coming into proximity or even contact.

Meteoric EMP. The discharge of electromagnetic energy resulting from either the impact of a meteoroid with a spacecraft or the explosive breakup of a meteoroid passing through the Earth's atmosphere.[4][5]

Coronal mass ejection (CME), sometimes referred to as a solar EMP. A burst of plasma and accompanying magnetic field, ejected from the solar corona and released into the solar wind.[6]

Types of (civil) man-made EMP events include:

Switching action of electrical circuitry, whether isolated or repetitive (as a pulse train).

Electric motors can create a train of pulses as the internal electrical contacts make and break connections as the armature rotates.

Gasoline engine ignition systems can create a train of pulses as the spark plugs are energized or fired.

Continual switching actions of digital electronic circuitry.

Power line surges. These can be up to several kilovolts, enough to damage electronic equipment that is insufficiently protected.

Types of military EMP include:

Nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NEMP), as a result of a nuclear explosion. A variant of this is the high altitude nuclear EMP (HEMP), which produces a secondary pulse due to particle interactions with the Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field.

Non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NNEMP) weapons.”

The EMP surge protector may in fact protect from lighting, ESD, and power line surges.

I believe that most of us think of EMPs as from weapons such as NEMP and NNEMP. For those only shielding electronic circuits will even begin to protect electronic systems.

Military EMP may be “A nuclear electromagnetic pulse (nuclear EMP or NEMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation created by a nuclear explosion. The resulting rapidly varying electric and magnetic fields may couple with electrical and electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges. The specific characteristics of a particular nuclear EMP event vary according to a number of factors, the most important of which is the altitude of the detonation.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

Bottom line is that a NEMP, HEMP, or NNEMP will emit energy similar to radio waves, magnetic waves of flux, and/or radiation that are EVERYWHERE! Face it, only a metal building, deep tunnel, or wrapping oneself in a lead blanket will interfere with an amplitude modulated (AM) radio signal. What happens if instead of a millionth of a volt of power on that AM signal, there were 50,000 or more volts permeating all the air/atmosphere around us. We’d all be dead unless that high voltage was only there for an instant in time. Heck, flora and fauna would survive as would good old vacuum and transistors bigger that one’s thumb. For those thousands or millions of very small transistors on a thumbnail size microchip, sound taps!

There it is. A military EMP weapon bursting over the northern Midwest USA will, well I hope you guys have a few Armalite Rifles and cases of ammo stashed away. Give it a week or two and you will see what good men, your neighbors and those from farther walking distance will do to survive. And that’s how typical Russians think. Survival, but that’s another debate…

View attachment 586449

“The mechanism for a 400-kilometre-high (250 mi; 1,300,000 ft) burst EMP: gamma rays hit the atmosphere between 20–40 km (66,000–131,000 ft) altitude, ejecting electrons which are then deflected sideways by the Earth's magnetic field. This makes the electrons radiate EMP over a large area. Because of the curvature and downward tilt of Earth's magnetic field over the US, the maximum EMP occurs south of the detonation and the minimum occurs to the north”

Exactly. And exactly why it has been such a daunting challenge for the military.

1707609288035.jpeg

My thoughts go to keeping a "back up" supply of essentials in said type of storage box. To be useful after said type of 'event'.
Just a thought--After an EMF strike If you can get your pre circuit board vehicle to a fuel station will they be able to pump or will they be knocked out? How many, if any, are hardened?

Just a thought--After an EMF strike If you can get your pre circuit board vehicle to a fuel station will they be able to pump or will they be knocked out? How many, if any, are hardened?
Where a line and a small pail might ought to be part of the doomsday kit.

The points above are worth considering. No fuel station in America will function if the power grid is out. No fuel station will work if its electronics are fried.

If they do work, well, the gasoline is delivered to them by tanker trucks. They won't work either. Neither will refineries...

Your generator will last as long as your own supply of gas lasts. That's it.

Worth noting too that no matter what Mad Max may lead you to believe, gasoline has a shelf life.

Stored well (in a sealed container, under minimal humidity, with a stabilizer) it'll maybe last a year. A part filled container with air at 60% humidity? Maybe 2-6 months...

Propane generator in a faraday cage with a 500 gallon buried propane tank is a simple solution, however your non protect tv, freezer and refrigerator are toast.

Where a line and a small pail might ought to be part of the doomsday kit.
How to survive an EMP, Looney Toons edition, haha

In all seriousness though I remember reading (or being taught perhaps in some evasion training, i honestly dont remember where this idea is coming from) where you could use a mechanical hand pump and a long enough line to get into the tanks in the ground at a gas station, just remember security!

Are you saying to store an electric fuel pump in one of your Faraday buildings?

Well, if all the appliances are fried, there is no internet, and there's no TV on the old vacuum tube console, that protected genset won't be carrying much of a load, so that 500 gal of LPG ought to last awhile. The propane might be better used running the gas stove top, unless you gave that up to save the climate...:cool:

I also remember reading somewhere about the possibility of getting a newer vehicle back up and running, basically if you have a 90s Wrangler TJ theres a handful of things such as TCM, fuel pump, etc. you could have on hand and keep in a small faraday pelican case or whatever. Essentially you just keep these things packed away in your garage and if it goes down you pull out the protected parts and swap them out. Something like an 80s YJ or 90s TJ, while not EMP Proof, still don't have that many parts that would be affected, compared to like a 2020 F150 or something.

In all this prepping, be sure to read the specs on stuff like these pumps. Most don't have much head lift. So depending on the depth of fuel in that tank, or the static water level in your well, you have to be sure to get a pump capable. The hand pump pictured above is designed for a 55gal drum; it won't lift over about 5' of depth. Finding a 12V sump or well pump would be more likely to work. Finding one of those that will push a height of 10' or more is easier. Finding one safe to use in a flammable liquid might be a challenge though; haven't looked for one of those.

In all this prepping, be sure to read the specs on stuff like these pumps. Most don't have much head lift. So depending on the depth of fuel in that tank, or the static water level in your well, you have to be sure to get a pump capable. The hand pump pictured above is designed for a 55gal drum; it won't lift over about 5' of depth. Finding a 12V sump or well pump would be more likely to work. Finding one of those that will push a height of 10' or more is easier. Finding one safe to use in a flammable liquid might be a challenge though; haven't looked for one of those.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClintonUyo

Latest profile posts

NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024
14-31 October 2024
1-7 November 2024
18-24 November 2024

March 2025 is wide open!
12-17 April 2025
24-28 May 2025
15-21 June 2025
7-12 July 2025
22-28 July 2025
13-31 August 2025
15-30 September 2025

October and November 2025 is wide open!
Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.