Peter Hathaway Capstick Hunter

Mr Manning I wish I could answer your question as to how much African indigenous people have benefited over my decades of travel around that vast continent. I must confess I liked the old days better. An example of change is behavior of government game scouts while accompanying a safari. Decades ago at the end of a long safari a govt scout would be pleased with a few dollars. A few years ago the first morning the assigned scout wearing expensive aviator glasses along with his designer leather jacket snapped his fingers and said his fee was five hundred bucks. The attitude not the fee was bothersome. Another story if i may. Fifty years or so ago i finished a forty day Zambia hunt and the game scout had been priceless, a classy, gentleman who helped make the adventure a wonderful success. At the end, for various reasons I had no small bills so offered him a 100 dollar bill which he declined. He indicated the Indian at the Duka ( a tiny shop) would cheat him out of it it, and if he walked to Lusaka to spend it he would be robbed. But most importantly if his wives (note plural) knew he had that much money they would give hime no peace. Now there was a wise man. He wanted my old tennis shoes, a small transistor radio with lots of batteries. I tossed in a pocket knife. Kindest regards.
The contribution of American hunters to Africa has been immense. Theodore Roosevelt certainly set it all in motion. Whom did you hunt with all those years ago in Zambia? Larry Wilson hunted with me in 1970 in the Luangwa; the result of his need to research his Roosevelt biography.

I hunted with Rory Gellatly. We hunted hard all over Zimbabwe two years in a row. Close to eighty days. Moving camps at night so as not to miss hunting daylight. We had several eventful adventures, to say the least. May he and his brother Alistair Rest In Peace.

Mr Manning I wish I could answer your question as to how much African indigenous people have benefited over my decades of travel around that vast continent. I must confess I liked the old days better. An example of change is behavior of government game scouts while accompanying a safari. Decades ago at the end of a long safari a govt scout would be pleased with a few dollars. A few years ago the first morning the assigned scout wearing expensive aviator glasses along with his designer leather jacket snapped his fingers and said his fee was five hundred bucks. The attitude not the fee was bothersome. Another story if i may. Fifty years or so ago i finished a forty day Zambia hunt and the game scout had been priceless, a classy, gentleman who helped make the adventure a wonderful success. At the end, for various reasons I had no small bills so offered him a 100 dollar bill which he declined. He indicated the Indian at the Duka ( a tiny shop) would cheat him out of it it, and if he walked to Lusaka to spend it he would be robbed. But most importantly if his wives (note plural) knew he had that much money they would give hime no peace. Now there was a wise man. He wanted my old tennis shoes, a small transistor radio with lots of batteries. I tossed in a pocket knife. Kindest regards.

I really feel lucky in never having run into “spoiled” or pushy camp staff or game scouts in Africa. Most seem to take pride in their work. Although you can tell most of the time the government game scouts know they are just along for the ride.

However, I remember one scout in Mozambique, who obviously had a severe physical impairment, always pitching in with axe or hatchet to cut trees out of the two tracks that had “mysteriously” been felled and placed there by elephants. And, the game scout, Alec, in Zimbabwe who was eager to join in on tracking excursions. He was truly a great asset to the team and whose eyes rivaled those of the Bushmen trackers of the Kalahari... who I swear carry at least 8x high resolution glass in their heads :).

And thanks to those posting interesting snippets of info about Capstick!! He, along with his wife, Fifi, IMO, should always be remembered as extremely talented writers- in a way, archivists of an Africa that sadly may be slowly slipping away. I really believe Hemingway was also desperately trying to convey that feeling.

I really feel lucky in never having run into “spoiled” or pushy camp staff or game scouts in Africa. Most seem to take pride in their work. Although you can tell most of the time the government game scouts know they are just along for the ride.

However, I remember one scout in Mozambique, who obviously had a severe physical impairment, always pitching in with axe or hatchet to cut trees out of the two tracks that had “mysteriously” been felled and placed there by elephants. And, the game scout, Alec, in Zimbabwe who was eager to join in on tracking excursions. He was truly a great asset to the team and whose eyes rivaled those of the Bushmen trackers of the Kalahari... who I swear carry at least 8x high resolution glass in their heads :).

And thanks to those posting interesting snippets of info about Capstick!! He, along with his wife, Fifi, IMO, should always be remembered as extremely talented writers- in a way, archivists of an Africa that sadly may be slowly slipping away. I really believe Hemingway was also desperately trying to convey that feeling.
Fourfive8, I agree game staff and game scouts as a rule take pride in their work and and are good folks

I hunted with Rory Gellatly. We hunted hard all over Zimbabwe two years in a row. Close to eighty days. Moving camps at night so as not to miss hunting daylight. We had several eventful adventures, to say the least. May he and his brother Alistair Rest In Peace.

I knew Rory well. His escape from a croc mauling in the Zambezi, and then lying seriously wound on the bank, with a bull buffalo standing on guard a short distance away throughout the night until he was able to call a passing boat, is something to remember.

I knew Rory well. His escape from a croc mauling in the Zambezi, and then lying seriously wound on the bank, with a bull buffalo standing on guard a short distance away throughout the night until he was able to call a passing boat, is something to remember.
The croc mauling happened to his brother Allistair. The two brothers were often confused. They were both magnets for unique adventures, as was their father.
I enjoyed your book very much, With A Gun In Good Country, we have spent time in so many of the same places. I noticed a photo of Toney Moore who I have also hunted with several times. You signed my copy at SCI convention and were a true gentleman. Thank you

Last edited:
Well, Happy, will have to dig into the croc mauling and buffalo vigil incident. I rarely saw Allistair, but Rory visited me regularly on his way to town in 2004-2007. Yes, Tony and I did the last black rhino hunt in '79. In '87'88 I tried to save the last 100 or so and failed.

The croc mauling happened to his brother Allistair. The two brothers were often confused. They were both magnets for unique adventures, as was their father.
I enjoyed your book very much, With A Gun In Good Country, we have spent time in so many of the same places. I noticed a photo of Toney Moore who I have also hunted with several times. You signed my copy at SCI convention and were a true gentleman. Thank you
So glad you enjoyed With a Gun, the second edition is now out. I added a chapter on Congo, Odzala where I brought in hunting to the EU project area, and one on the Lambs of Cashel.

So glad you enjoyed With a Gun, the second edition is now out. I added a chapter on Congo, Odzala where I brought in hunting to the EU project area, and one on the Lambs of Cashel.
Of course, it was Allistair, had to call in Memsahib Cathlin to confirm. You mentioned his father; do you have more on him?

His writings have always had a profound impact on my life. What kind of 375 hh did he shoot the most? I’ve never been able to put my finger on it from pictures.

I suppose we must allow for inflation monetarily and otherwise...

Please tell me he didn't call his wife Fiona Fifi!? I believe he was related ancestrally to Roosevelt.

Please tell me he didn't call his wife Fiona Fifi!? I believe he was related ancestrally to Roosevelt.
Yep, I believe so :) Here's a pic of a page in his book, Sands of Silence.
It is my understanding they would at times work as a team, where she would edit and tweak his drafts.

Sand of Silence.JPG

His writings have always had a profound impact on my life. What kind of 375 hh did he shoot the most? I’ve never been able to put my finger on it from pictures.
Sorry, don't remember.

He mention much a Daly(??) Mauser, aka Zastava m70 action or Bsa action based upon, but also the Musgrave custom Mauser in .375 mentioned in some books and movie.

Mmm....not sure how you could mix up rory and Alistair.....but yes they could get confused...especially Alistair after we had been drinking......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross