Opinions on VC doubles

Personally, I prefer the look of 88.
For well over 35 years, Their Flagship ; .. incredible!
1659199645032.png

For well over 35 years, Their Flagship ; .. incredible!
View attachment 480041
I wonder what it is about a double that is so alluring? I have friends, same ones that "there's nothing in Africa that interests me, I don't know why you want to go over there" and they don't understand the desire for a double rifle either. To me they are one of the most beautiful pieces of craftsmanship in the world. Even a SxS shotgun, there is something about dropping those rounds in the tube and snapping that action shut. It is definitely a romance thing for me.

I am not a Brand Loyalist, or will ever discredit someone's opinion, preference. "Beauty is as Beauty Does" someone here, well said. And PH's that live for what they do, at a fraction of a cost in their Battery, however, there are some exquisite, timeless Works of Art here.

I wonder what it is about a double that is so alluring? I have friends, same ones that "there's nothing in Africa that interests me, I don't know why you want to go over there" and they don't understand the desire for a double rifle either. To me they are one of the most beautiful pieces of craftsmanship in the world. Even a SxS shotgun, there is something about dropping those rounds in the tube and snapping that action shut. It is definitely a romance thing for me.
There is an entire thread here devoted to the subject, if I recall correctly it is called "What about a double rifle appeals to you?". An interesting read at least for me.

You have been bitten by the double bug my friend...they are indeed alluring.. Some of them are also extremely high quality weapons.. For instance, I have an old Purdey sidelock shotgun...still tight as a bank vault, the ejectors throw empites in a parallell arc...barrels shiny. It is made in 1896, bought back by Purdey in 1913, re-proofed for nitro and sold on.. How is that for quality..?

Still use it on grouse here..

I don't have a desire to go to Africa, I hate heat and desert, Alaska is my dream.

I started my dream of having a double rifle at about age 5, and my family didn't even hunt, let alone have any connection whatsoever to a rifle generally used on Africa dangerous game.

Don't know where it came from, still a dream, will likely stay that way, almost spent the money reserved for the down payment on my first house on one, kind of wished I had...

I will say, one thing I've always wondered that's wildly off topic.
Has anyone ever considered the idea of raising duiker for meat? As in, like raising chickens, but it's the little antelope instead...

If they are good eating, seems like it would be a good meat animal given the sizes and thus minimal environmental requirement/impact.

I don't have a desire to go to Africa, I hate heat and desert, Alaska is my dream.

I started my dream of having a double rifle at about age 5, and my family didn't even hunt, let alone have any connection whatsoever to a rifle generally used on Africa dangerous game.

Don't know where it came from, still a dream, will likely stay that way, almost spent the money reserved for the down payment on my first house on one, kind of wished I had...

Has anyone ever considered the idea of raising duiker for meat? As in, like raising chickens, but it's the little antelope instead...

If they are good eating, seems like it would be a good meat animal given the sizes and thus minimal environmental requirement/impact.

You should look at Game4Africa’s hunting concession, quite steep in areas, very green and lush, and this time of year temps can be in the high 30’s at night. I’ve actually seen ice on mud puddles in Africa before.

Just so you know, you don’t have to hunt Africa in the heat. In fact, it can be quite chilly depending where/when you hunt.

Too small, territorial, aggresive, form pairs not groups with a single male...

My relatively uneducated opinion on this topic:

1) Heym - excellent quality. Yet to hear anyone say they had an issue with one. Does this count as a factory gun? A lot of options, weight built to caliber, its fitted to you and current lead time is up to 18 months so I guess it depends on how you define “factory”. Looking at close to $20k at entry level.

2) Krieghoff - don’t hear many issues with these but opinions will be strong around the decocker as people either love it or hate it. Although I think make some highly customized rifles these seem to be more standard options that can still be fitted, however, you can find stock guns on some dealers shelves starting around $15k

3) Chapius - these seem to be very high quality rifles and places like Champlin say very positive things. Not very customizable. I think they only come in one of two grades and very limited caliber choices. Carried by some big box retailers. Can probably get in here and under $13k.

I have experience with all 3 of these. Merkel also comes to mind as a good factory gun but I don’t know that much about them.

I just got my new Chapuis and in EU ”market area” one could do a lot of customization (at least I did ).

Great gun in 9,3x74r and light/short for tight spots. New Aimpoint Acro on top with closed casing, so it works on snow conditions too.

Image1659280813.347869.jpg
Pic from Chapuis Instgram.

I just got my new Chapuis and in EU ”market area” one could do a lot of customization (at least I did ).

Great gun in 9,3x74r and light/short for tight spots. New Aimpoint Acro on top with closed casing, so it works on snow conditions too.

View attachment 480135Pic from Chapuis Instgram.
Very nice! What optic is that?

Just one word of caution. The PH I hunted with in Tanzania last fall has a Heym in .500 NE. He’s had enough problems with it that he said he carries his bolt gun in .450 Ackley about 95% of the time. Said his .500 ‘doubling’ occasionally is really unpleasant. I got the clear impression he thought I should look at other makes if I wanted another double.

View attachment 480135Pic from Chapuis Instgram.
Nice looking gun.

Very little discussion on the Chapuis. I think the 450-400 would be ideal. 9.5#, easy to carry, easy to shoot, reasonable price. I don't have one, but am leaning that way. Does anyone have a negative info on them? I would prefer a splinter forend, but am told you can have the issued one reworked.

Having said that, my 458 Lott Blaser R8 is a shooting machine that easily gets me from contact distance to 300 yards. And it's not slow on the follow-up, if needed. It is 10.5# though. And not a double, lol.

Reactions: RTG

Come here in late June to early August and you will be OK....and as for the minimal environmental crap about raising duikers for food....are you for real....that's a new one....still working out the environmental bullshit angle.... :E Doh: :E Rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyMacke

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double